Limited Dual Wielding (Sword/Pistol, etc)

Users who are viewing this thread

wannyboy

Sergeant
ok here i am again with another suggestion.
I was thinking for a while about dual wielding but it just doesn't seem to fit in m&b however, i think a sword/pistol combo would be possible. Since almost noone uses shields and 2handers are outdated, i was thinking of something to hold in the left hand and i think a pistol is fit for that role. If you have a sword, a pistol and some bullets with you and then you equip your sword, you can select the pistol the way you normally select your shield (scroll down). By doing this you take out a pistol in your left hand. Basically, nothing realy changes here, you can just fight normally with your sword. The only thing that changes is that when you press X, you switch to pistol mode. This switch doesn't take any time like drawing out your pistol so it's actually just change between pistol and sword realy fast. When you press X again you just switch back to sword. The only thing that bothers me is the reloading of the pistol. I think it is quite hard to reload you pistol while holding a sword and i don't realy have any idea on how to fix this. Having to put away your sword kinda makes the dual wielding useless since you can only dualwield for 1 shot and then the fun is over... A grenade would also be an option to add to dualwielding, since you only need 1 hand for it and this guy at the loading screen does it too.

After some thinking i came up with this:
There are 3 dualwieldable weapons: onehanders, grenades and pistols.
You can choose which one you use as main hand and which one as offhand but you can't combine 2 weapons of the same cathegory.
If you reload your gun, you will temporary put away your sword making the reload time slightly longer(the time to put away your sword and draw it again afterwards)
The mainhand weapon functions like normal, however the offhand has a slightly decrease in skills since it is used with your left hand:
Onehanders: lose 1 level in powerstrike and 10% speed while in offhand
Pistols: lose 10% accuracy and 10% longer reload
Grenades: lose 10% accuracy and 10% speed while in offhand
Finally if you block while having a sword in your set, you always use a the sword to block, even when you have selected the pistol. If you have pistol and grenade, you will use the pistol to block.

what do you guys think about it? Plz tell me wathever you don't like about it

and when blocking with a onehanded weapon you place your other hand on the hilt. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to deflect things like two handed weapons.

lotsofpaper said:
and when blocking with a onehanded weapon you place your other hand on the hilt. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to deflect things like two handed weapons.
do you? well then you place your pistol on the hilt...

hmm, adjusted reloading with pistol, is it better this way?
wannyboy said:
If you reload your gun, you will temporary put away your sword making the reload time slightly longer(the time to put away your sword and draw it again afterwards)
Pistols: lose 10% accuracy and 10% longer reload

what do you guys think about it? Plz tell me wathever you don't like about it

I can't imagine this to be a realistic way of fighting and I don't even see any point in adding this feature to the game. Here everyone is right-handed (would be a good deal to add left-hand as an option) and they're using both pistols and swords in the right hand to get the best effect of it. I mean why stick around with a gun in your left hand when it's already used? Or why temporary put down your sword in your holster when you're about to reload when you could do it manually and then reload, even faster?

it would look very weird to me having a lot of guys running around equipped with both swords and pistols in their hands and at the same time playing rambo.

Leaffordes said:
I can't imagine this to be a realistic way of fighting and I don't even see any point in adding this feature to the game. Here everyone is right-handed (would be a good deal to add left-hand as an option) and they're using both pistols and swords in the right hand to get the best effect of it. I mean why stick around with a gun in your left hand when it's already used? Or why temporary put down your sword in your holster when you're about to reload when you could do it manually and then reload, even faster?

it would look very weird to me having a lot of guys running around equipped with both swords and pistols in their hands and at the same time playing rambo.
pirates and other badass guys did it. I think it was also quite common in duels

This was widely used in combat; specifically in the Navy. When boarding a ship, seamen would hold a flintlock pistol in one hand and a cutlass in the other. After you fired the one shot from the pistol you would either flip it around and use it as a club with the sword or holster it and continue with the sword.

pirates and other badass guys did it. I think it was also quite common in duels

Are you sure they did it? By history facts? Or are you thinking of different movies lol

Five_O said:
This was widely used in combat; specifically in the Navy. When boarding a ship, seamen would hold a flintlock pistol in one hand and a cutlass in the other. After you fired the one shot from the pistol you would either flip it around and use it as a club with the sword or holster it and continue with the sword.

Soooo maybe in a mount and blade game were you can travel by sea :grin: Well in this game you wouldn't be able to club with it at the same time as your cutting with your sword anyway. I don't know if I'm wrong by saying this but aren't the left hand also important when fighting with one handed swords if your right-handed? Something inside me says that the left hand helps to steady the sword while blocking by putting the hand behind the sword. You couldn't really block with the sharp side of the sword i believe cause its sharpness would be gone in some time. I actually don't think this was used much in these kind of battles, perhaps by some officers but other than that no

Suriell said:
Make it and I'll use it

Wannyboy does not make mods. Wannyboy does not work on mods. Wannyboy does not deign to modify his own game.

Wannyboy wants you to do all of this for him. He has not so much as released an item mod for any mount and blade game in the entire year he has been posting in this forum, even though item/troop mods take only a few hours to produce if you only add item variants and balances. Mostly he petitions other people to dedicate their time to making his suggestions a reality.

Someone may indeed make a horribly balanced, glitchy duel wielding mod... but it won't be wannyboy.

I'm not saying you have to make it for me. I just have no clue on how to make mods so when i get an idea(happens quite often) i just post it so that anyone who likes it can use it
Leaffordes said:
I actually don't think this was used much in these kind of battles, perhaps by some officers but other than that no
... And what are we?

If you want to feel piratey, bring a sword, 3 pistols and no extra bullets. Double barrels work even better. With 3 double barrels you will get 6 shots with no reload time.

Nobody is going to revamp the entire....

1. Weapon use system
2. Inventory system
3. Weapon grasping/carry animation
4. item properties system
5. Combat AI system
6. combat attack animation

just for duel wield that would add very little to a game where you can rapidly switch between 4 slots.

Yes, they WOULD have to revamp the AI. Why? Because enemies behave differently depending on what weapon you have out. If you use melee they try to surround you. If you use ranged they clump together and shield.

If you have a pistol and a sword out, what do they do?

You'd think with all the changes you want you could learn how to mod at least a tiny bit...

that was a main gauche they used. But i think warband isn't suited for using 2 melee weapons at once and with all this comment i get, a pistol/sword combination won't be good either

Back
Top Bottom