Increasing battle size beyond 1000 troop limit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi all!

Has anyone figured out how to increase the battle size beyond 1000 troop limit?

Simply modifying the config doesn't seem to do the trick.

The game utterly underperforms at 1000+, at 2000 the game just crashes even tho the hard limit is 2048ish.

In deterministic forced single threading mode
U can reach 2000 units at 5fps without a crash, but well kinda shameful for a 64 core processor.

I cannot recommend increasing the battle size even a slight bit, normal CPUs just explode to 100% usage and freeze /crash the game, the game is not optimized.

Anyways u can increase the limit with patching as c# mod, back then in 0.3.4-0.9 we did not had that limit

Upvote 0
This game is meant to be played with 3k ore more units present on battlefield otherwise tactical gameplay is not viable.
No it's just not. Would be literally impossible to optimise with intelligent individual AI. You won't see anything like this until there's a massive technological advancement. So likely not for many many years.

Upvote 0
This is absolutely PITIFUL. I am just crushed, that after years of delays and being so happy this game is finally here... I can't have more than 500 guys in my army without a bunch of them having to run in from the side of the map in ones and twos (many getting killed before they even reach my position)?

This is hands down an abject FAILURE on the part of TaleWorlds. There's simply no excuse. With a piddly, pathetic limitation like this, Bannerlord objectively is NOT the game the community was promised.

They either need to remove this cap and figure out how to fix any resulting instability in their game engine; or we need every single one of the following, at a bare minimum:

- Ability to choose which troops will come into battle
- Ability to choose where additional troops will spawn (and change this spot during battle)
- Ability to send troops off the field in order to have other troops replace them

That or they need to put in a hard cap of 500 troops in a party or army.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No it's just not. Would be literally impossible to optimise with intelligent individual AI. You won't see anything like this until there's a massive technological advancement. So likely not for many many years.
Why are you making excuses for them? @Hardmode Fan is absolutely right.

- If I get 500 random units of my army, how am I supposed to control army composition?

- If my "extra" units will filter in from the side of the map in ones and twos as casualties occur, how do I execute a strategy or position my forces? Want to go up on a nearby hill to defend? Go ahead, but don't expect your "excess" troops to ever make it up there to join you.

- Facing a lot of archers and relying on shields? A lot of cavalry and counting on spearmen? Haha, here's all your recruits and horse archers, you don't get the troops you need til these ones are all dead! Lol, fun!

With such a low troop cap, this game may be a lot of things, but a game about battle tactics and strategy is not one of them.

Upvote 0
Why are you making excuses for them? @Hardmode Fan is absolutely right.

- If I get 500 random units of my army, how am I supposed to control army composition?

- If my "extra" units will filter in from the side of the map in ones and twos as casualties occur, how do I execute a strategy or position my forces? Want to go up on a nearby hill to defend? Go ahead, but don't expect your "excess" troops to ever make it up there to join you.

- Facing a lot of archers and relying on shields? A lot of cavalry and counting on spearmen? Haha, here's all your recruits and horse archers, you don't get the troops you need til these ones are all dead! Lol, fun!

With such a low troop cap, this game may be a lot of things, but a game about battle tactics and strategy is not one of them.
Well you 500 IQ guys have two options:

Either create entire new next generation GPU's, CPU's and RAM sticks that can process and perform with the gameplay you want without over heating and bricking people's entire computer.

or

Try and create your own game with good performance, in-date graphics, thousands of troops with individual Ai along with all of the other features in the game.

If you can do neither of these with all due respect just shut up.

Upvote 0
Well you 500 IQ guys have two options:

Either create entire new next generation GPU's, CPU's and RAM sticks that can process and perform with the gameplay you want without over heating and bricking people's entire computer.

or

Try and create your own game with good performance, in-date graphics, thousands of troops with individual Ai along with all of the other features in the game.

If you can do neither of these with all due respect just shut up.
Dude are you 12? Did you get you mommy and daddy's permission to get on the computer?

Upvote 0
This guy did it
He even referenced this thread lol
The main issue is the 2048 hard cap. Since cav units count as 2 units in the engine, the largest "safe" number to run without crashes is 1024.
This is no problem if you stick to infantry/archers in custom battles. But in single player you can't predict army composition so any battle could crash you if you're out of the safe range.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Still the question is, do we need 1000+ Individual ai?

there are multiple alternatives
- mass AI (kinda weak)
- partial mass AI, so what if we only use individual ai on troops that are close to the player? Then let the other troops run by mass AI.
Pretty sure this won’t be a doable for us modders but its at least something taleworlds could have thought about, 3000 man clashing on the battlefield would have been pretty epic.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom