I want to talk Bannerlord Persistent World

Users who are viewing this thread

Sure Bannerlord is a long ways away most likely, and then I'll have to wait even longer before a PW gets made :wink:  but I must say I'm looking forward to a new PW for Bannerlord more then any SP or MP features.

After seeing that editor video, I have just been dreaming to get my hands on it and start making a monster 2k x 2k scene full of RP goodness. What I wouldn't do to get my hands on it before release too, I know it  wouldn't happen but it would be great to get a head start. I cant wait to jump into a beautiful and detailed medieval world and make a name for myself all over again.

So, I have never played  it  myself but I saw some ARMA 3 Life videos on YouTube recently and seeing the cops really get into the role play reminded me of my time in HCRP. Like arresting people (taking prisoners) etc. and others just acting as civilians and having great RP with voice chat and such. It definitely is a hardcore game with a ton of buttons, commands and depth and while I'm not suggesting we need 4 menus and multiple clicks just to mount your horse but I do think there are a ton of RP friendly features that would be perfect for a new PW.

Anyways, has anybody been discussing possibilities or work on a new PW for Bannerlord around here or is it just entirely too early to start speculating?

"Arma 3 Life" is an unauthorised modification of the "Altis Life RPG" gamemode by Tonic, utilising a large quantity of stolen assets from other content makers. Tl;dr - Find a decent Altis Life RPG server and support that rather than Arma 3 Life.

The problem really is that until Bannerlord is actually released we won't know the modding potential it has.

Gishank said:
"Arma 3 Life" is an unauthorised modification of the "Altis Life RPG" gamemode by Tonic, utilising a large quantity of stolen assets from other content makers. Tl;dr - Find a decent Altis Life RPG server and support that rather than Arma 3 Life.

The problem really is that until Bannerlord is actually released we won't know the modding potential it has.

Atleast mapping will probably have a lot of potential, that is something we know. And if TW isn't stupid, which from what we've seen on VC I can't really tell, they'll make bannerlord as moddable as possible. Native is fine, but it'd give only 50 hours of gameplay at much. Mods have given me 3000 hours so far (Most of them in PW).

Exactly, They know how much they have benefitted from the modding community. I mean, the only reason why people are buying VC now and are even in this forum now for a game that was released so long ago is because of all the amazing mods. 

I wouldn't doubt that a large portion of the time making Bannerlord was put into making in-depth and intuitive editors and mod tools.

So overall, the PW forum and Bannerlord Thread (that's all we get?) are pretty dead.

How can an obsessive like me get my forum fixes on these topics with nobody here?

I used to go to HCRP nexus, but that's gone now. and other active forums to try?

In my opinion.. way too soon to be worrying, discussing, or even thinking about Bannerlord and PW.. we all know it will be great and all know someone will do it (if not Vornne himself).. but nothing we do here or say, will make it come any faster or necessarily remember what we write here now..

So how many towns, castles, and villages will each map have, predictions.  BEcause of the large map, towns, villages and castles will be a lot bigger and a lot more. Let's say 5 sq km for each bannerlord town, 1 km for each village. and around 0.5 km for castles. There will be a lot of space, yet there will also be a lot of space for forest, rivers, and wild animals. My prediction is there is going to be at least 20 large towns in each map.

Alfredthegreat said:
So how many towns, castles, and villages will each map have, predictions.  BEcause of the large map, towns, villages and castles will be a lot bigger and a lot more. Let's say 5 sq km for each bannerlord town, 1 km for each village. and around 0.5 km for castles. There will be a lot of space, yet there will also be a lot of space for forest, rivers, and wild animals. My prediction is there is going to be at least 20 large towns in each map.

It depends completely on how many players will the game allow in one single server. If it keeps being 200, then it won't be much larger than current PW maps.

I'd like to not expand too much on the quantity of cities, castles and villages but the size and quality of the ones that are there.  You certainly can add more but I'm thinking few castles and forts, a couple large cities and a few small villages.

Cities will have much more buildings and things to do and will be much more sprawling, Castles can now be big defensive citadels and have a whole village outside the walls surrounding it etc. Taverns and Inns or even small crossroad communities can be placed between long travels that you will essentially need horses or boats for. Waterways that extend the entire map with ample room to sail coasts and rivers alike and pull into many ports for trade and attack. I could go on and on about all the specific details I have  planned to put into my map but I'm clearly more excited about this then most this early on.

Even as it is now in Warband PW I like maps with less huge castles. Castles should be hard to get, reserved for the strongest houses and fought over. Villages and towns should be full of RP spots and things to do not involving stealing or killing.

Z0mbiN3 said:
Alfredthegreat said:

It depends completely on how many players will the game allow in one single server. If it keeps being 200, then it won't be much larger than current PW maps.
I doubt that there will only be 200 per server, since the bannerlord engine should handle something like that much better,  like at least 500, or even 1000. All those mmorpg has so many players in one server, i doubt that bannerlord can't handle a lot.

An MMO's server doesn't have to deal with a complicated physics based combat system, and any game developer hoping to have private parties hosting servers isn't going to make a 1000 player game. It is not practical in the current state of computing.

The main target of Mount & Blade is to have a enormous combat with some SP roleplay elements, it never was the target to make a massive online RP game (that's why PW lags).

The Bannerlord engine can handle larger maps yes but all these items, scripts etc. still would run at a Bannerlord PW what brings the result that one server probably won't have more than max 200 slots. These huge amounts of PW scripts convert a combat based game to basically a massive online roleplay game.
It could be that the server would handle more players but at the clientside you would need a high-end computer to handle it.

Again, I think the developers are aware of how heavily scripted successful mods are. Sure graphics are the most obvious improvement to the new engine but taleworlds would be straight dumb to not spend a ton of time making sure large maps with lots of scrips and items in it would work. The Engine has EVERYTHING to do with how a game performs, Its all about how well the code the sucker. If the call it a day after just squeaking out 60 frames on their largest premade map, then yeah we will have issues making a grand PW. But , if they act like I think they will, they will make sure the engine handles MORE then it needs to handle the mods they KNOW will come out. They aren't clueless, they know they line there pockets with cash from steam sales of people wanting to play mods years after release. Its all about how much love and streamlining they put into the code.

You cant really compare performance to Skyrim, or Deliverance or Crysis or even Warband cause this is a brand new engine, custom made, nobody here has any idea how it will perform and how moddable it will be yet.

The editor video had that undertone for me, they were basically saying that elaborate scrips will be easy to compile in editor and "Large maps with hundreds of agents acting independently" will be achievable. I am sure a PW will be achievable and maybe even surpass our own expectations, but lets face it, there wont be any 1000 person servers. Personally I have never seen that many players in total.

I doubt it will take that long really, the idea is already out there and people are ready to get modding, also the tools look to be even easier than before to use and create with. But what do I know.

EdgeCrusher420 said:
I doubt it will take that long really, the idea is already out there and people are ready to get modding, also the tools look to be even easier than before to use and create with. But what do I know.

We don't know the tools for modding, only scene editing. I just hope it isn't the Module system language anymore, and instead a better coding language like C#.

people may as well take advantage of the huge size of the scene and put persistent world scenes to be much bigger. Persistent world scene is so small. It is only around 1 square mile.

Alfredthegreat said:
people may as well take advantage of the huge size of the scene and put persistent world scenes to be much bigger. Persistent world scene is so small. It is only around 1 square mile.

People like me will really love it, then again I don't use a lot of "fast travel" in games, dunno bout the more casual PW players though. I can't wait to have to give directions to travelers "take the road north 5 miles (or kilometers whatever) till you hit the inn at the crossroads, cross the river and travel east 12 miles through the mountains, till you hit snow, and you have arrived" etc. Others might not like the increased amount of travelling. but think of the immersion :wink: Think how cool the big trade caravans will be now, definitely will need armed guards to protect you on the longest (and most profitable) trips.

Back
Top Bottom