In Progress How to translate language files?

Users who are viewing this thread

mikeboix

Grandmaster Knight
Me and my team mates have been trying to work on a spanish translation for the game... with no luck until now. Our best guess is that we should modify the xml files that are located in the different Languages folders inside every Module (five by default which seem to by all activated at the same time: CustomBattle, Native, SandBox, SandBoxCore and StoryMode).
It looks like there are some specific folders for turkish and chineese languages there, but the english xml files are just there in the root of every Languages folder. I've tried to modify some lines in some of these modules which I thought I could find easily in the game, like the ones in the main menu and so. I modified the english xml files so that the game would load them by default.

But the game is not showing any change. Do anybody has any clues about how to make translations in Bannerlord?

Thanks in advance.

Hi there,

because noone here want to answer, here what i know by now

First you have to copy all xml files in he different Modules in a sufolder of your language like the other preinstalled folders CNs and TR ( for me language=German Foldername I use: DE)

Second yo have to alter every header of those new files from:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<base xmlns:mad:si="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:mad:sd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" type="string">
<tags>
<tag language="English" />
</tags>

to:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>
<base xmlns:mad:si="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:mad:sd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" type="string">
<tags>
<tag language="German" />
</tags>

Third (and this is very important!) you have to edit the two Languages.xml so it contains a subsection regarding your used Language:

..\Mount & Blade II Bannerlord\GUI\Launcher\Fonts:

<!-- English -->
<Language id="English" DefaultFont="FiraSansExtraCondensed-Regular">
<Map From="FiraSansExtraCondensed-Regular" To="FiraSansExtraCondensed-Regular"/>
</Language>

<!-- German -->
<Language id="German" DefaultFont="FiraSansExtraCondensed-Regular">
<Map From="FiraSansExtraCondensed-Regular" To="FiraSansExtraCondensed-Regular"/>
</Language>

and

..\Mount & Blade II Bannerlord\GUI\GauntletUI\Fonts:

<!-- English -->
<Language id="English" DefaultFont="Galahad">
<Map From="FiraSansExtraCondensed-Light" To="FiraSansExtraCondensed-Light"/>
<Map From="FiraSansExtraCondensed-Medium" To="FiraSansExtraCondensed-Medium"/>
<Map From="Galahad" To="Galahad"/>
<Map From="Galahad_Numbers_Bold" To="Galahad_Numbers_Bold"/>
</Language>

<!-- German -->
<Language id="German" DefaultFont="Galahad">
<Map From="FiraSansExtraCondensed-Light" To="FiraSansExtraCondensed-Light"/>
<Map From="FiraSansExtraCondensed-Medium" To="FiraSansExtraCondensed-Medium"/>
<Map From="Galahad" To="Galahad"/>
<Map From="Galahad_Numbers_Bold" To="Galahad_Numbers_Bold"/>
</Language>

Now open the game and try to change your language to your desired entry. If the game frezzes and crashes you have done something wrong (have you edited thoose Languages.xml?), if it works you are on the right path to translation:

Here as prove that this works (just editet a few things until now):

Have fun! or should I say Diviértete!

For all the other leechers here: Happy translating!

Für meine Ladsleute: Viel Spaß beim Übersetzen ins Deutsche. Und nicht vergessen, es muss Euer und Ihr lauten und nicht Dein, Du oder Sie :wink:

"Ihr betretet ein Gasthaus" und nicht "Du betrittst ein Gasthaus" oder "Sie betreten ein Gasthaus"

And yes, i know, I am a real Angel ?

I'm gonna bump this up, because I don't want to create a new post if it is not neccessary.

I'm working on translation and so far everything have been working properly, but now I'm stuck because of "background history" character creator where you choose info about you and your family. Somehow all the phrases there don't want to show as translated. Files are up to date, string ID's are correct and inside the strings there's nothing that could make the translated phrases not show. But I was wrong, the game keeps showing me those texts in original english language. Does anybody know what could go wrong? Are those phrases hardcoded (which is not probable due to ID's added to them).

I'm gonna bump this up, because I don't want to create a new post if it is not neccessary.

I'm working on translation and so far everything have been working properly, but now I'm stuck because of "background history" character creator where you choose info about you and your family. Somehow all the phrases there don't want to show as translated. Files are up to date, string ID's are correct and inside the strings there's nothing that could make the translated phrases not show. But I was wrong, the game keeps showing me those texts in original english language. Does anybody know what could go wrong? Are those phrases hardcoded (which is not probable due to ID's added to them).
I run into a similar problem just a few moments ago. Try to validate your xml file in this site and check everything is ok: https://www.xmlvalidation.com/

I feel like there are many lines and most specially variables, like some buyable goods names (wool, jewelry etc), that just always show in english and are impossible to find their language files, not even looking in the english last updated language files.
Did anybody run into a similar problem here while translating?

I feel like there are many lines and most specially variables, like some buyable goods names (wool, jewelry etc), that just always show in english and are impossible to find their language files, not even looking in the english last updated language files.
Did anybody run into a similar problem here while translating?
I noticed that too, especially in dialogues with townspeople when they talk about buing and selling things, like there is "Olives" word in xmls but no "olives"... I guess it's still hardcoded somewhere or has its own ID but devs forgot to place it in language files.

----------

And about validating XML files - i downloaded XML Validator for Notepad++ and it works perfectly now, no more problems so far, my translation file didn't work that time because I forgot about & symbol. :smile:

Translating the English strings doesen`t work for some reason, but I have tried translating couple of things in Native/TR and it worked, once i used the Turkish language in the game, i saw the stuff i translated to my language! So what i did now is i coppied all the Turkish and English to a separate folder to my PC, i`m looking at the same xml parralely in english and translating the turkish one. Not all the strings are the same, some are missing in TR, some in EN, but 99% there are same side-by-side, and i always check the string ID to match, so i dont translate the wrong thing, as i don`t understand turkish.
Oh yeah, i`m a perfectionist and a mazochist so i don`t just coppy it through Google Translate, but translating it slowly and thoroughly, according my language logic and grammar, so i`m looking to a month or 2 of work.

Back
Top Bottom