How to assign custom groups?

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm sure it's something simple I'm just overlooking, but how do you assign soldiers into custom groups?  All I get is the usual inf. archers and cav.  I want to put all spearmen in one group, plus light and heavy cav in seperate groups etc...

thanks

arthur666 said:
So I found the manual, and it says I can assign them from the party menu, but I don't see how to. 

Anybody?

I don't have the game in front of me but I'll try to remember.

Try clicking on one of your troops in the Party screen (e.g swadian recruit, or what have you). It will display his drawing and you'll see the upgrade button and the troop type button (e.g. infantry). Click on the troop type button (Infantry in this example) and a list where you can assign him will be displayed. The first three items in the list should be Infantry, Archer, Cavalry. Then a number of custom x items.

This is good if you want to group your troops more specifically and to be able to command these groups in battle.

Hope this was helpful.

Treebeard's right.  Once you go into the list menu where you see "Unnamed group X", just click on that group and hit the "Rename Group" button (not quite sure on the text).  Once you've renamed the group, you may need to click it again so that the troop's group type text changes correctly (you'll see what I mean).  To use these groups, you can either hit backspace during battle or go to your controls menu (in Esc->Options->Controls), and see what the keys are for "Group X".  If you have any questions, please ask.

This might be a bit off topic but is there anyway to set a 'pre-battle order' i spend the first few seconds scrambilng to get my army in line and while its nothing big its just kind of annoying, I wish they would all jsut follow me from the start

I don't think so, but all troops (0) are selected by default so just press F1 and F2; shouldn't take more than split second.
Would be nice to set a default order for the beginning of battles though.

Adorno said:
I don't think so, but all troops (0) are selected by default so just press F1 and F2; shouldn't take more than split second.
It doesn't, but by the time the troops react to it they're already moving and blocking my way. This was one of the most annoying things in M&B (particularly so because it can't be modded away, to the best of my knowledge), and I'm rather disappointed that they didn't fix it in WB.

Treebeard said:
I don't have the game in front of me but I'll try to remember.

Try clicking on one of your troops in the Party screen (e.g swadian recruit, or what have you). It will display his drawing and you'll see the upgrade button and the troop type button (e.g. infantry). Click on the troop type button (Infantry in this example) and a list where you can assign him will be displayed. The first three items in the list should be Infantry, Archer, Cavalry. Then a number of custom x items.

This is good if you want to group your troops more specifically and to be able to command these groups in battle.

Hope this was helpful.

Hey thanks.  I knew it was something obvious.  It's nice to now have a few units set as my personal bodyguards when I'm focusing on commanding the other troops.

So its seems this feature has now been removed. Can someone please confirm this before I delete the game and play something else?

Back
Top Bottom