B Tutorial Animation How to add New Animations to your module.

Users who are viewing this thread

Ok, so I had a go at assigning a new animation to a new itcf as per this tutorial.. I fail to see which bit of alteration assigns your new animation to the action? Copying and pasting an itcf just means you have the same itcf only with a different name.. did you actually get your animation working in the end?

I haven't tried this system with a custom animation, but I did get my custom item capability (itc) and item capabilities flag? (itcf) working fine on my throwing sword item.

If you look in module_animations.py, you see ready_javelin and release_javelin animation ID's. There is no "throw_javelin" as it is in itcf_throw_javelin. My bet is that the item capabilities flag (itcf) "combines" the ready_javelin and release_javelin to itcf_throw_javelin. That, or it could simply be hardcoded. However, if we take itcf_thrust_onehanded for example, then we see it has ready_thrust_onehanded, release_thrust_onehanded and parry_thrust_onehanded. I hope that only the prefixes, e.g ready, release or parry are hardcoded, not the whole animation ID's.

I did the exact steps as I showed in my tutorial, and I got a throwing sword item working with a custom itc (and it's itcf's).

Yes, but did you actually get a new/different animation working with the ITCF?  I've got an itcf with a different name, but it still uses exactly the same animation.. I'd imagine it's hardcoded.

Well having tried it myself and fiddling around a lot, I suppose it's whatever is in the hex code that is telling the game which animation to use.

I therefore surmise we can't add new item capabilities with custom animations.

I thought so at first, too... But now that you confirmed it, I guess I can say that ... bad news..

It's great to get new animation to the game, but I have the same problem. The game don't care with my animation (uses the old duplicated one), until in the BRF I change the new animation's name to the old one, and rename or remove the native animation. Is it possible, to keep the original animation too :?:

I've found this command: agent_set_walk_forward_animation. And in fact, I have a idea for this. I'll see if it works.

cdvader

I also found it to be impossible to create a new set of item capabilities. I wanted to use a different style of thrust animation only for seaxes, but it still used the list of animations for itcf_thrust_onehanded. Even when I gave my custom itcf a different hex value it made no difference, which doesn't make any sense to me. I can't see how it still knew to use the itcf_thrust_onehanded; I'm certain there was nothing in the items files or animations file to point it in that direction, so I'd have expected it to either work or crash.

Yeah, we've been through this. The tutorial doesn't actually work. Vaguely naming a new item capability the same as an animation you've added does NOT let you add a new item flag. It's all hardcoded.

So, in essence, this tutorial is well-intentioned, but inacurrate rubbish. Now I know why I had problems implementing new animations.  :neutral: It seems almost impossible to do without wrecking the module system.  :mad:

Back
Top Bottom