Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak

Users who are viewing this thread

Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak is set to release on the 20th of January. It's set before the events of the first Homeworld, but on the planet surface rather than in space.

Looks like it's going to be a generic RTS, but it basically came out of nowhere literally a week before release.

Homeworld-Deserts-of-Kharak.jpg
homeworld_deserts_story-1200x675.jpg
attachment.php

Hopefully this is a sign of future games in the series.

jacobhinds said:
Looks like it's going to be a generic RTS, but it basically came out of nowhere literally a week before release.
It was announced in 2013 as Hardware: Shipbreakers, and was meant to be more of a spiritual successor than an actual Homeworld title until Gearbox got the IP and struck a deal with the devs.

Just played a little over an hour of it, and I'm frankly a bit disappointed. It's... a competent RTS, but it's not a Homeworld standard RTS. Doesn't have that same wow-factor to it. So yeah, I'd highly advise waiting until the sales for this one. The current asking price is a bit much for it

Watched TB's WTF is. Just looks like a demo really, 2 playable factions on 6 maps? With the faction differences being more or less just cosmetic? I just don't see any appeal.

Most of the faction differences in the original HW, narring cataclysm, were pretty minor as well, although they were not as reliant on that factor as this game might be.

I weep for the modern RTS. Nobody can seem to get it right, and few companies put enough effort into more than just the basic gameplay. Battle for Middle-Earth II for me was a definite high point - a game built on a respected licensed property, with not just skirmish and campaign but a whole Risk-style mode, Create-a-Hero, etc...

Back
Top Bottom