Hideouts -> siegable bandit forts

What do you think about this idea?

• It should be added to the game

• It's good but not worth dev's time

• It's bad

Results are only viewable after voting.

Users who are viewing this thread

That would be the single most interesting way to handle the bandit hideout problems.

It should be a watered down version of sieges though, so you can accomplish it with a small force.

Have both of them. Why do you guys want to remove a feature.
Because it's a bad feature. Everyone knows that hideouts as they currently exist need to change. It's just a question of what form the change should take.

Alright, I'm gonna try to draw some of TW's attention to this idea. Atm the stability and performance are the most important things but I hope that they'll put it on their to do list for the near future. Wish me luck :p

True, after raiding a lot of them and being disappointed every time I just stopped caring about hideouts, I just ignore them.

Some of them are becoming one of my favourite parts of the game! I like the Sea Raider layout in particular, with opportunities to creep up and snipe enemies near the start and let your infantry take care of the rest, then moving up the beach there are beached longships to use as cover (I had a very satisfying result yesterday when a Sea Raider walked around the end of one and started pulling out a javelin upon seeing me, and I took him out instantly with my crossbow). Then you have the cave system, with pockets of enemies to deal with. I like the flow and the lighting, the general ambience of the Sea Raider camps.

The Forest Bandit one, unless there are very few enemies inside, is still too difficult for my liking (how can I take on two dozen good bowmen in an outdoor environment with about one third as many men, no matter what weaponry my party has?!?!). I enjoy the Desert Bandit map, and to a lesser extent the Mountain Bandit one- the more open outdoor space there is, the less interesting (and the easier it is to lose) it is to me.

Creeping up on enemies and taking a number of them down as fast as you can, without alerting many other enemies, is satisfying for me (though the feasability of this is limited on some maps, such as F.Bandits). When there is some terrain or props to mask your approach (not sure if they actually see you or not, but crouching and, I think, changing to walking speed lets you get closer) it is fun to get the jump on one or two guys. I've been using a seax recently and find it useful to get stabs in to help my allies if they get into a melee with several enemies, because there is often little time or space to use even a sword.

I don't know if a full siege type event would be more satisfying, but certainly some maps could benefit from more of the indoor cave environments, and more props. Making use of the ruins of the actual fort that is alluded to in the set-up to the quest would allow for a mini-siege, but I don't think it should be on the level of ballistas for either side- firstly because it doesn't make much sense for a bunch of bandits to have the skill or consider it worthwhile getting a ballista (they are not expecting to face massive armies coming, and if they saw them coming they would flee, this isn't a city they want to inhabit permanently), and the player getting large siege weapons up into the hills/into a forest doesn't sound right either. Secondly, in gameplay terms I can't imagine it feeling as anything but a shadow of a full sized siege.

As I've said, I enjoy some of these bandit maps and I like to vary my loadout to try new approaches- sometimes I take a shield but these are generally heavy, so I might dispense with it, so too my spear if I intend to get close to my enemies one-on-one and want as much speed as I can get. I sometimes ditch similar equipment from my companions' inventories too.

If we were to add something like a bandit-siege, I think it should be in addition to the current commando approach. Perhaps one could choose to take the full army up, in which case the bandits would see your approach from afar and, if you aren't so large that they simply decamp and resettle nearby, you get to do the siege, and they will retreat to the old fort ruins and hastily barricade them.

In contrast to the OP's suggestions of siege weapons being used, I would prefer a bandit-siege to be on a small scale; battering down small barricades that they have erected across the ruined sections of the old fort, and finding other ways to get into the top fort, maybe via a precipitous pathway up a cliffside to get over a forgotten gap in the walls. Or there could be cave routes up to the forts (in the case of Sea Raiders and Desert Bandits, these could of course be part of the existing cave system). These would be very narrow, rough-hewn versions of a tower staircase. You could draw the enemies attention with a main assault on the fort, which would leave only a couple of enemies defending these backroutes that I have described, breakthrough and kill the defenders of the front of the fort from their rear. Then the finale could be in a small ruined keep, fighting your way up to an exposed upper level of the old tower where you face the bandit boss.

I have barely explored Steppe Bandit ones; I did one where they outnumbered me massively and killed me straight away, then I eventually did a second about two days ago. That time, there were hardly any bandits so it went almost straight to the boss fight.

The Desert ones actually have a route up onto upperwalkways, far above the caves. I only found it after killing most of the bandits, but you could potentially shoot down on enemies from up there. If they could work these into being necessary to use, then they could make them an exciting part of the scene I think. Perhaps leading up to the fort ruins I talked about in my previous post. At the moment, the route is in a place that not only leads anywhere that the player needs to go, but is not at the start of the route which I usually take through the hideout. But other players may approach it differently (I usually head for the cave opening visible from the spawn, clear that out then progress to the right-hand side of the map).

I think hideouts are fine. The mountain bandits need a speed nerf though lol. If you clear their camp and that last party is spawned next to you that you have to kill to prevent them from instantly rebuilding the camp, you can never catch them in most circumstances. So they just turn around and put the whole camp back there.

Have both of them. Why do you guys want to remove a feature. I like hideout except for some stuff like you cannot pick your units and how few you can bring vs how many they have.

I like this idea for bandit forts.

I agree 100%. I LOVE the idea, but you can still leave the hideouts, just make the amount of people you can bring scale with how many bandits there are, ALTERNATIVELY, you're attacking at night. A significant portion of the bandits should be asleep and as such wouldn't be wearing their armor yet? You bring less people but the enemy is less equipped, that, or allow daytime hideouts where you can bring (most of) your entire army.

Would be good if our kingdom can employ man hunters which will keep our territories clean of bandits. they will not help against other faction just against bandits and looters. making our kingdom safer for our villagers and caravans.

+50

I already suggested man hunters that just run around the world clearing bandits out, but this would be far superior. I WOULD be down spending 5k a day just to have my territory (mostly) clear of bandits. I'd have 15 armies of them running around constantly.

In my opinion, make them have low base cost, but then you can 'give' them X amount of money for prep, the more money you give, the bigger their party and the better their gear. Then slowly over time they will upgrade their troops because that's just the flow of the game.

The Forest Bandit one, unless there are very few enemies inside, is still too difficult for my liking (how can I take on two dozen good bowmen in an outdoor environment with about one third as many men, no matter what weaponry my party has?!?!). I enjoy the Desert Bandit map, and to a lesser extent the Mountain Bandit one- the more open outdoor space there is, the less interesting (and the easier it is to lose) it is to me.

Forest bandits are the easiest one. Just take a bow and two quivers, set your guys in a shield wall, then stand behind the shield wall and shoot all the bandits. Refill your arrows from the dead bandits. Last time I did this I didn't lose a single man, did the whole 40+ bandit hideout in one go. You can do the same thing with steppe bandits although the terrain makes it a bit trickier.

I vote no, there are already sieges, bandit camps are a unique challenge and optional.

Forest bandits are the easiest one. Just take a bow and two quivers, set your guys in a shield wall, then stand behind the shield wall and shoot all the bandits. Refill your arrows from the dead bandits. Last time I did this I didn't lose a single man, did the whole 40+ bandit hideout in one go. You can do the same thing with steppe bandits although the terrain makes it a bit trickier.

Holy moly! I will give that go sometime, when I am feeling brave.

I'd like to refresh the topic. I think it's a very, very decent idea and it's worth dev's attention. Maybe hideouts should just slowly turn into these forts after some time?

Why would bandits ever build a fort? The whole point of their hideouts is to not be noticed.

This idea makes about zero sense to me, even though I agree the mechanics of hideout attacks should be improved in some way.

Why would bandits ever build a fort? The whole point of their hideouts is to not be noticed.

This idea makes about zero sense to me, even though I agree the mechanics of hideout attacks should be improved in some way.
Why couldn't bandits take over old unused forts? Maybe they make some hodge podge repairs and they're good to go.

Hi black_bulldog,

I was just thinking the other way round. Why not keep this fortified hideout for my party as a camp replacement from Warband?
This would be a cool feature for bandit/mercenary playthroughs.
All in all I would like both setups with more variety.

Michael

Why couldn't bandits take over old unused forts? Maybe they make some hodge podge repairs and they're good to go.
They could, I just don't see why they would ever do that. A fort is easier to spot than a hideout that blends in. And once they're spotted, they have little chance against any army, whether they have any fortifications or not won't make a difference.

They could, I just don't see why they would ever do that. A fort is easier to spot than a hideout that blends in. And once they're spotted, they have little chance against any army, whether they have any fortifications or not won't make a difference.
Not if the fort is hidden in some forest along with ruins like the one in Kingdom Come :wink: Which makes me think that they could look like ruins or something where they can both hide in and make a stand

Back
Top Bottom