Hello again - Help with Stirrups

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello Calradian folk!

I'm back. Five months went by since my last visit here. But i came here every now and then at every meal to pay The Forge a visit, after i was no more logged in.

Erst let me tell you i resumed modding not long ago, as i could, i don't know how long i'll be able to, but i might post on the 3D art thread sometimes few works i did for custom mods, or like, closing my latest threads left open with shown reached results.

A year ago i worked on stirrups, some people here complained or hinted about it with no avail so i decided to do myself;
i kept through one week of testing trying everything wherefore, i don't recall exactly all by now, for example attaching them with a script to the saddle, skinning or rigging them with player's bones (like calves, feet), remaking the whole animation for mounted agents, mounting them as boots to player's feet, and so on, ending altogether to acceptable results, excepting for the major issue throughout all endeavours: the agent inclination while climbing up/downhill, of course.
Days ago i decided to review this desired feature to see if it could be improved, my help request therefore concerns this, how would you work the stirrups out?

Is it possible to attach a scene prop directly to a specific agent's bone?

Would a script to check every second the ground height be really too unsettling?

How can i prevent an agent to stoop/lean/rotate too much during a horse climb, else can horses be kept from climbing up too much?

Is it possible to join the skeletons to some extent, just for the ride, in order to share the skinning with bones of another skeleton (t.i. the rider)?

Again, whoever with reliable coding experience wants to help, he can send me a p.m., he will be paid.

This isn’t something I’ve tried - just an idea. If I wanted stirrups, I’d build them into the riders boots with the straps angled back to hide behind the inner boot tops. That way they’d move with the rider and any imagined attachment to the saddle would be hidden by the rider’s leg. Clearly such an approach would require two versions of each boot, with and without stirrups, and some form of mission trigger to switch between them depending on whether the rider is mounted or dismounted.

Downside = no stirrups would appear on riderless horses.

I thought of it. In fact there are some models, in real life, of stirrups hidden almost all by the leg with only the foot support
(i think it's called tread) peeking out of the ankle, the problem however would be as usual the player during a rise before any slope,
maybe less, but it'll still looking bad.

This picture shows the thin side strap (fender?), although the saddle i used was slightly different.
HkvAK.png

Aah, i miss Skyrim. See the rider? He's perfectly aligned with the horse.
jgA4X.png

Done.

€ vs Forum = 4 -1

It was not easy, let's say it needed a remedy "beyond" Warband.

This time too, two solvings were made: with or without scene props. The first one employs stirrups as meta-meshes, but the best one i deem was with scene props, which even gave the wonted "bouncing jog" of scene-props unforethought to be so cogent, believable.
Later on, i just built a better mounted animation on, stabler and more suitable to stirrups, mainly for the feet so they could fit well, now the riding it's much liker to other games, sturdier.  Same with horse, i adjusted the huge animation where horse's neck looked too bent and weird, now i'm thinking of making the bridle and bridlereins, likely skinned together with the body. I mean i don't expect Shadow of the Colossus, but it looks a lot better now.

Anon i'm going to make the bridle clink sounds to join to the animations, maybe with a proper script.
What M&B lacks compared to other games in these cases, is a plain Physics System, something to handle just as the Skryrim HDT Physic Extensions, the physics of meshes, especially when depending on agents' bones/skeleton parts. It's not Havoc but it works fine, i wonder why none of them made a stirrup mod public.

I will now share privately, then if "someone" pleases to divulge it outside server, it'll be up to him.

With scene props:

idle
x7c7Q.png
upclimb
P9q4u.png
higher
PuvCX.png
riderless
BW79J.png
I have to adjust a bit the offset of both, as well as textures (they're from another model) and maybe the horse's body skinning (it's a new mesh without original saddle), but i believe it's close to ending.
Dankeschön.

Edit: On a sidenote for those expert in coding, if you know anything of some Physics Handler, speak away please, either within game limits or outer.

Back
Top Bottom