Greek Mythology?

Users who are viewing this thread

Initially, the bust of Pallas (which is one of Athena's surnames) mentioned in the poem The Raven, by Edgar Allan Poe inspired me. The order of importance I place on the references to my mod are: Poe first, the occult second, and everything else last. Therefore, the fact that I had considered adding your typical cross- and garlic-bearing vampire/werewolf hunters to the mod, at several points just didn't mesh. The raven does not alight upon a crucifix, you see, but on the bust of a Greek goddess.

The more I thought about it, the more I realized I wanted to do away with Christianity altogether. Frankly it just wasn't epic or dramatic enough. When I got to thinking about legendary items and epic dark stories, Clash of the Titans came to mind, and out of that came Stheno and the Medusa set. Then the story of how Stheno pissed off Athena really got the ball rolling - this gave the gods an active role in the world, and it became as it is now. To quote J.R.R. Tolkien: "this tale grew in the telling." :wink:

When I added vampires I wanted a female vampire companion and I had intended to just import "Kitty" from my old Blood mod. But that tight black leather just wasn't enough. I realized I wanted her to be more epic. So I looked into Greek mythology again, and found Lamia, with all of her sordid past of betrayal and cannibalism.

The Alchemist's Adamant is also a reference to mythology - it was said a sword of adamant was given to Perseus from the gods. And, of course, Hades.

Basically, the story combines elements of Poe's writing with Greek mythology, real historical figures, and pop culture horror references (The Headless Horseman, Vlad Dracula, etc.). I find I can keep doing more and more with it because of the four directions I can come at it from. They are like fingers... four sinister fingers on a very dark hand, of which I am the thumb. :twisted:

So much fun. :lol:

Initially when this mod started out I was sure you were going to go down the Lovecraft road and I am glad that you did not.  Not that I don't love ole H.P. and all, but you seem to have created a pretty unique combination of themes (love the Pinocchio spin).  I remember you mentioning a comic you were working on with the S&S theme.  Any word?

It was a thought, anyway. I haven't begun working on such a thing yet. I guess I am waiting for someone to pop up with appropriately comic-style drawings based on Solid and Shade, that make me say "I want to write a web comic and have this person draw it." :wink:

And honestly... I have never read Lovecraft. I am probably missing out. :lol:

The funny thing is, I was never into horror flicks as a teenager - never read horror novels or cracked a Stephen King book until about four years ago, when I hooked up with a girl who had a thing for vampires. I started wearing black, and bought myself some high-quality fang caps, to complete the attire. Well, that relationship didn't last but my passion for the "sanguine terrific" did.

Basically, the entire genre is a relatively new thing to me. On that note, I am hoping that I have shown a certain amount of aptitude for the horrific. It is all about subtlety, after all.

For instance, I realized at one point - around the time I was adding Oak, Ash and Thorn - that this new release of Solid and Shade was going to have a bit of "fairy tale" about it. I was initially worried that this would be too "touchy-feely" for the atmosphere of the mod. Now looking at the finished product I see how much more of a sinister bend things like that added to the atmosphere - as if a little light made the darkness darker. Oh, how those wooden men scream when you burn them. :twisted:

Likewise, other additions have immensely helped the mood. The way I twisted the music, for instance: what is the common factor of every scary scene in every scary movie you have ever seen? Suspense music and horrific ambiance.

Anyway, I digress. Feeling philosophical this morning. Maybe I will work on the strategy guide a bit. :grin:

Speaking of the music, how did you create it? Is it the native music played backwards?  I have always been curious.

Will Zeus appear in this mod? like if you don't wanna play as a necromancer and start a questline to get rid of Necromancy...That would be  awesome!

Edgar Allan Poe was an Episcopalian too. :razz:

But there is not a single christian aspect of this mod, which is by design. I wanted the religious aspect to be decidedly ancient and pagan. I think I accomplished that quite well. :wink:

Lamia @ Greek Vampire Origin.

And yes, there are characters modeled on real life people with christian backgrounds - kind of hard to avoid, when dealing with history. There are also references in the excerpts from the stories of Poe. But the mod lends no validity to Christianity, and the gods and goddesses of Greek mythology are alive and well. There are not even any priests...

Although I must say, it is rather fun to wear the Helm of Prometheus and Werewolf's armor set, wield Poseidon's Trident, and ride into battle on Cerberus, leading an army of demons. I named that character Morningstar. :lol:

Bring to the game whatever you wish personally - there is a lot of room for flexibility. :wink:

Hahaha!I affirm I am the most original in naming my characters ... my 2 principal games,one is named Allar (the complete name is Allar Lezompre Sempardlwi but it's too long for M&B so yeah just Allar),he is the Shadowlord at the service of none  and hold special grudge against  Swadians,Alteor is the Anti-Hero at the service of none who do bad things like looting villages,but also fight the undead for his pleasure.

OK BACK ON THE TOPIC B4 A WILD WALL OF TEXT APPEARS:

I have a last question,oak,ash and thorn are creatures from poo's stories,right?
If not,what are they and do they all have this weird cannibalistic habit of doing jobs like woodcutter?if yes do they also eat wood logs?Yes,what do they eat?

Oak, Ash and Thorn are somewhat of a dark take on Pinocchio, as explained by the Great Artificer during his dialogs, if you have at least one of them in your party. However, their names are derived from the poem "A Tree Song" from the book "Puck of Pook's Hill" by Rudyard Kipling, which goes as follows:

OF all the trees that grow so fair,
Old England to adorn,
Greater are none beneath the Sun,
Than Oak, and Ash, and Thorn.
Sing Oak, and Ash, and Thorn, good sirs,
(All of a Midsummer morn!)
Surely we sing no little thing,
In Oak, and Ash, and Thorn!

Oak of the Clay lived many a day,
Or ever AEneas began.
Ash of the Loam was a lady at home,
When Brut was an outlaw man.
Thorn of the Down saw New Troy Town
(From which was London born);
Witness hereby the ancientry
Of Oak, and Ash, and Thorn!

Yew that is old in churchyard-mould,
He breedeth a mighty bow.
Alder for shoes do wise men choose,
And beech for cups also.
But when ye have killed, and your bowl is spilled,
And your shoes are clean outworn,
Back ye must speed for all that ye need,
To Oak, and Ash, and Thorn!

Ellum she hateth mankind, and waiteth
Till every gust be laid,
To drop a limb on the head of him
That anyway trusts her shade:
But whether a lad be sober or sad,
Or mellow with ale from the horn,
He will take no wrong when he lieth along
'Neath Oak, and Ash, and Thorn!

Oh, do not tell the Priest our plight,
Or he would call it a sin;
But - we have been out in the woods all night,
A-conjuring Summer in!
And we bring you news by word of mouth-
Good news for cattle and corn-
Now is the Sun come up from the South,
With Oak, and Ash, and Thorn!

Sing Oak, and Ash, and Thorn, good sirs
(All of a Midsummer morn):
England shall bide ti11 Judgment Tide,
By Oak, and Ash, and Thorn!

Note that Yew, Alder and Elm are also mentioned. One never knows what I might do with that.

Interesting, I don't who is Pinocchio(I presume it's an Italian wooden beast who helped men to do trivial jobs/tasks(based on the stories of some wooden companions).

You seem to have forgot my last question...Do they eat trees?

Back
Top Bottom