Good shareware games.

Users who are viewing this thread

This thread kind of complements dagorkan's thread here: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,7835.0.html
And no, i'm not posting screenies 'cause i'm too lazy. Deal with it.

Escape Velocity: Nova http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/
Fun top down space-game. Very open ended (but not quite as open ended as its predecessors). It's story is OK, but there are 6 different main storylines, each of which will require a different playthrough. You can trade, kill things, board ships, everything you'd expect. You can also buy hundreds of different ships (including variants) and "pimp" each one out with a variety of items called "outfits." Pretty fun game, lots of replayability and also has MANY MANY mods, called "plugins" (maybe several thousand). It is kind of expensive though, as it's $30 and starting to show its age.

Lugaru http://wolfire.com/lugaru.html
Fun action game. It's a 3d-beat-em-up where you play as an anthropomorphic bunny that knows kung fu. Story is less than spectacular (much less), but the action is where it's at. Control scheme is pretty simple, with one button doing several things, based on the situation (crouch, block, roll, etc.). Rather than having a button combination kind of fighting, the fighting is timing based (mainly because reversals are timing based and are very important). It's easy to get into, as controls are context sensitive, so you (usually) won't do a stupid thing in combat due to bad controls. The game is pretty cheap too ($20). The UI is also very clean. There are no health meters, or anything blocking your view of the game. Instead, damage is shown by the darkening of the screen. The ragdoll physics are quite good too, but sometimes seem a bit exaggerated. Some downsides are the game's difficulty really picks up near the end and sometimes too many functions are mapped to one button. If you mistime it, you might end up ducking into the opponents kick, rather than blocking and reversing it.

Soldat http://www.soldat.pl/
Think of it as worms, but real time, MUCH faster paced, and no terrain destruction. It's a 2d multiplayer game. You play as a guy with jet boots, grenades, and a gun and you (obviously) want to kill as many people as you can. This game is nearly freeware, the only things you get for paying are more character customization options (more clothing colors), and a little star next to your name on the scoreboard. But registration is pretty cheap, only $9.

Add whatever you want, but try to post a little review/summary of the game as well as a link to the game's website.

Geneforge III http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/geneforge3/index.html

Isometric CRPG. It has 3 endings, diplomacy and stealth options, a summoning system (called "shaping"), a bunch spells, a few recruitable npcs, etc. The storyline is big and open-ended (changes according to your actions related to the factions), and this means replayability of course. Very low system requirements and a reasonable price: $25

Additionally, it resembles Fallout 1-2 in some ways.

Spiderweb churns out sequels. I rarely visit their website but it seems every time there's either a new game or a sequel to one. By the way, I highly recommend Escape Velocity: Nova and Nethergate/ the Exile series from Spiderweb Software. I used to play Exile all the time back on the old, family Macintosh (as well as the original Escape Velocity- good times.

Pontifix: Basically, it's a bridge building game. you have a space to cross, limited money, and away you go. no being told how to build your bridge, you have to trial and error (and the error looks ok to  :twisted:) full price is $19, but there are 10 out of 40 levels on the demo

Mount & Blade

Its an awesome game, that actually lets you play the full version until your lvl 6 (then you can choose to buy it or start over).
And its got the best mounted combat ::smile: I'm sure some of you guys heard of it ::grin:

Sorry couldn't help it tehee

Hmmm... those games sound intersting. Espically this mounted combat stuff in M&&B, will have to try it.... OH ****, this is the M&B forum, i'm not supposed to admit that i ahevn't played m&B.....

UnReal World
UnReal World, UrW, is a unique graphical roguelikish RPG taking place in the far North ages ago.
It brings you realistic game world with lots of historical traits as well as northern folklore,
beliefs and way of life. Features and atmosphere of the game are very original and fascinating.

As a member of one of the nine varying cultures you'll enter a very realistic, enchanting and charming
game system & world:

* lots of full-of-feeling graphics, pictures and original sounds and musics
    * play freely or follow various game courses in a huge randomly generated world
    * skill-based system including tens of skills from COOKERY to HIDEWORKING
    * intelligent creatures and fellow-men
    * find excitement from the everyday life and surviving in the harsh wilderness
    * keep up relationships with spiritual world and supernatural guardians of the nature

..there are infinite ways to play;
as a fisherman, a hermit seeking for the peace, a brave adventurer, a rough hunter, a trapper or a tradesman etc. Everything is up to you.

sneakey pete said:
Pontifix: Basically, it's a bridge building game. you have a space to cross, limited money, and away you go. no being told how to build your bridge, you have to trial and error (and the error looks ok to  :twisted:) full price is $19, but there are 10 out of 40 levels on the demo

I thought it was "pontifex", not "pontifix."

www.lf2.net

It's called "Little Fighter 2".

Everything about it is simply friggin' amazing. :grin: It's an old-school -ish 2D scrolling fighter/shooter with super-cool colourful graphics, and everything moves as if on speed. There are dozens of different characters to play with and unlock, with all the usual moves like combos and super-moves.

It's game modes include the "Stage" -mode, a mode where one or more computer or human controlled players move from start to finish through a number of stages, moving from left to right, taking on hordes of enemies, killing bosses, and freeing allied warriors (Found sitting tied-up in ropes) while using power-ups and alternate weapons such as boulders, ice-picks, throwing knifes, boomerangs and baseball bats.

Then there's a "Championship-mode", where one player, either alone or with a partner, must take on a number of other players in order to come out as the champion(s). Not much more to say, really.

Also, the almost obligatory VS -mode, a lot like pretty much every beat-em-up Tekken or Mortal Combat -clone there is. Two to eight players, an arena, and oodles of pickups and special weapons.

And finally, the most groundbreaking one: "Battle Mode". Much like VS -mode, you pick an arena and two to eight players and/or bots. But then you divide them into two teams, and set their armies. What follows is a massive battle with both teams leading ther mass NPC-armies into a violent, chaotic and rather noisy clash.

The game has insanely cool colorful, cartoony graphis, full and great bot support on all modes, takes a number of mere minutes to download, and runs swimmingly on even the most modest machines, even with around 100 characters on screen, (Which happens quite often in Battle Mode!), ONLINE MP SUPPORT :shock: and is absolutely. Freakin'. Free.

If you have a computer, you owe it to yourself to own this little gem. (Play it with Fatboy Slim's Kung-Foo Fighter remix in the background for ultimate hillarity. :lol: )

http://lieroxtreme.thegaminguniverse.com/
LieroX

Basically worms 2D in realtime. Loads of fun. Try it. It, too, is totally free! Have fun! :lol:

And I recommended pntifex to sneakey-pete, WAY TO HOG THE GLORY, teeheehee.
Anyways, if it hasn't already been mentioned, Crimsonland is a fun game, Bird's-eye action game with a variety of weapons, leveling up system, and alot of blood.
I also Recommend Rocketmania Deluxe, where you connect lighters  to fire works via rotating fuse tiles.

DeltaOmega said:
And I recommended pntifex to sneakey-pete, WAY TO HOG THE GLORY, teeheehee.
Anyways, if it hasn't already been mentioned, Crimsonland is a fun game, Bird's-eye action game with a variety of weapons, leveling up system, and alot of blood.
I also Recommend Rocketmania Deluxe, where you connect lighters  to fire works via rotating fuse tiles.

Yeah, well, you weren't around here to share the goodness.

it's a shame i couldn't get that real graphically advanced version to work, stupid geforece mx 4

Tiny little shareware game called N.

You are a tiny little stick ninja and you have to make your way through hazardous courses. You can climb walls and make huge jumps, and it's really simple graphically (greyscale colour, stick figures etc), but it's pretty anyway, and it's mindbendingly hard after the first few levels.

Can't find a link - I'll update with one when I do.

I recommend it to all of you - tiny installer, and is absolutely free.

I play it.

It is mucho fun.

I've spent many hours and a lot of caffiene gnashing my teeth because I need to try 'Just one more time' or 'Do one more level.'

Back
Top Bottom