B Tutorial Scenes [for starters] Snake's Scene Map Making Tutorial + Video Tutorial

Users who are viewing this thread

White_Snake

Recruit

Snake's words of advice: Use your heart and mind to create your maps, be creative, and make sure your maps are in need of use, and dont forget to fix those glitches that your friends tend to find, or better try to avoid making them :razz:

Edit a map:
You must have Edit Mode turned ON in the advanced options and must be widowed before you start a game, then follow bellow instructions by making a blank map or choosing a single player map to edit, editing is simple, it just take time, to start editing press Ctrl + E and save what you edit again with Ctrl + E, never close, because it may bug and destroy everything you have done (I learned my lesson after a crash in a 2 hours of work)
Note: Always make map edit in a copy of Warband(Modules, copy Warband and rename to Map Edit for example), NEVER USE ORIGINAL FOR EDITING! Unless you don't care for your Single Player ;P

Blank Map Tutorial:
You can actually choose or make any map, no need to use an already made one, unless you want so..

So here is how you make a blank map:
1) Make a copy of warband module and rename it to Map Making for example
2) Delete a map in SceneObj files in the Map Module(For example: scn_multi_scene_2.sco, that is Village)
3) In single player(With edit mode on) while in world map, click on Terrain
4) Make the ground and details of your map to your taste and copy the code
5) In Map Making Module open scenes.txt go to the deleted map before and replace the code you copied

For example: scn_multi_scene_2 multi_scene_2 256 none none 0.000000 0.000000 100.000000 100.000000 -100.000000 (0x00000007300005000003fcff00000e3200006e60000048e2)
  outer_terrain_plain

Replace the code that is inside the () and  make shure you dont add the () that i just added

Change outer_terrain_plain  to 0 for no background map( the map you see after the map boundaries)
SAVE! 

5.5) Optional:
In scenes.txt, the last code of each map is for example: outer_terrain_plain
That is what players see after the map's borders, for example in this example will be some little mounts with some green trees.
So far this are the codes that I've found that you can change the outer terrain:

outer_terrain_plain
outer_terrain_steppe
outer_terrain_snow
outer_terrain_desert_b
outer_terrain_desert
outer_terrain_town_thir_1
outer_terrain_plain_1
sea_outer_terrain_1
outer_terrain_castle_9
outer_terrain_beach
0 (no outer terrain)

For example if I want to change the village map outer terrain to a desert one, it will look like this:
scn_multi_scene_2 multi_scene_2 256 none none 0.000000 0.000000 100.000000 100.000000 -100.000000 0x00000007300005000003fcff00000e3200006e60000048e2
outer_terrain_desert

6)Host a game, with map in this case village

7) Then Click Ctrl + E and edit your map

Quick Scene Chooser(1.131):
This Tool allows to edit any single player map for later being use as multiplayer!
1) Download this file
2) Extract menus.txt to your Map Making module
3) Start game, in the Main Menu click Tutorial
4) Choose Quick Scene Chooser
5) Choose a map from the list
6) Edit and have fun! The map is saved in Sceneobj in your module!

Optionally you can follow this instructions of Dstemmer(Author of QSC): http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,51851.msg1334787.html#msg1334787

CREDITS for Quick Scene Chooser goes to dstemmer for coding and  Credits for Willow(Nditions Duel Server's Main Scripter) for porting to 1.131 and compiling it in a simple way!

Entry Points:

Entry Points serves different things like: Players spawns, for Ladders, for Siege towers and etc..

1)Spawns:
In Entry Points there is Var in the edit is what matters for spawns

Battle mode - Add Entry point 0 (after adding an Entry point, edit its Var to 0) for Faction 1, and Add Entry Point 32 ( edit again Var to 32) for Faction 2 spawning location

Deathmatch/Duel - Add Entry Points from 0 to 64 (Silly Note: I mean: 0, 1, 2, 3, (...), 64)

Siege - Defenders: Add Entry Points from 0 to 31
          Attackers: Add Entry Points from 32 to 63
          Flag: Add Entry Point 66 for the Flag, it needs to be placed in an accessible place in defenders place, for example inside castle.
2) Ladders/Gate/Siege Towers:

Ladders:
Add for example siege_ladder_move_14m to its final position(attached to a wall) and add under the ladder ladder Entry Point 100, the next ladder you add make the same thing but with a next entry point: Entry Point 101(only 100 to 109 available, so you can add only 9 ladders in total).

Gate:
Add porticus to its closed position and winch_b its opener

Siege Tower(Abit difficult):
There is two kinds of Siege towers. The Bridge(belfry_a) and The Tower(belfry_b)
Like the Ladders place the towers in the final position.
The Bridge:
Add belfry_a, belfry_platform_a lowered to the wall and belfry_platform_b the bridge that players go up,
Then add three belfry_wheel for the wheels.
After that add Entry Point 110 as The Bridge starting point till 119(Silly note: 110, 111, 112, (...), 119)

The Tower
Again, add belfry_b, belfry_b_platform_a, and three belfry_wheel next to wall to its final position(with platform lowered)
Add Entry Points 120 as its starting position till 129 ( like a road but dont add the entry points after the siege tower, only before)
P.S.: I Notice that in some maps the Entry Points for the Tower where 110 till 119, if above doesnt work try this ones.
That is! A good help if you have quick scene chooser, check scene multi scene 8. It shows everything about the siege towers, its entry points, and the ladders too.

GOOD LUCK, GOOD MAP MAKING!

Minutus Tips(Ndition):
Scening isn't really that difficult, but simple tutorials are missing from TW forums. There was one really good at nk clan's website, but as the site went down it's lost I think.

Some additional tips:
- To prevent screwing your Native client, I find it easiest to make another copy of Native module and name it like "MapEdit", and do the editing inside that module. That way, there's no chance of making changes to maps in the actual Native module you use for playing.
- Always start the MapEdit module windowed and edit-mode enabled.
- If you're using a Vista or Windows7, you probably want to run the client as an administrator. Otherwise, you might run into trouble when trying to save the map or altering ground levels, as these make changes to files which is prevented without such rights by default, at least in W7.

When using Terrain editor:
- If you increase the map size a lot, then also increase the number of polyfons to 5. Otherwise you'll run into trouble.
- Note that you can use the slider to make a smaller map than the default ones. I think there's still plenty of room for duel map purposes, and maps shouldn't have "useless" space.

- I've heard adding rivers / deep waters in terrain editor might cause some problems. Also, you might want to place your rivers (by lowering ground below sea-level in Map Editor) and plants etc. yourself and set the random plant slider to 0 in terrain editor. At least once in the past TW changed the randomize environment code which lead into misplaced trees in old maps. Also, I think some of the trees placed by the terrain editor lack collision meshes. I suppose same goes for rocks. I'm not sure if it has any effect on performance whether plants are placed automatically by terrain code or manually. It does have an effect on map file size of course.
Turanien fix: This can be avoided by stripping vegetation from a scene in the SP terrain editor.

When using Map Editor:
- When you close map editor to save the changes you made, always use Ctrl+E, not the "close" button on the editor. At least for me, the close button crashes the client often, while Ctrl+E almost never does.

- Be careful when editing ground levels and ground textures. Smooth things tend to be less buggy than radical small scale changes here (especially ground textures tend to get bugged by weird reflections easily).
Turanien fix: I found this to be an interesting quirk but it is readily fixable. It seems to happen most often when the rock textures are blended in with another texture. To remedy it, simply re-apply the rock texture (a quick tap of the mouse will do) to the afflicted area. It will most certainly remove the 'mirror' that occurs and will simply flood the area that has already been textured.

- Save often! And check the results by re-hosting / opening the map, because some changes (like grass etc.) don't show up before restarting the map.

About outer_terrain in the end of the scene code:
- Like Snake said, if you put it to 0 it means no outer terrain at all. Outer terrain is the "outer ring" or "landscape" of a map. There are only a handful of options for different terrains (mostly just one for desert, one for steppe, one for plains and so on). I don't have a list of the options here, but you can find them by just scrolling the scenes.txt file.
- It is possible to tweak the outer terrain by changing map size back and forth, but I wouldn't really suggest this, as it can cause problems and it's not really meant to be tweaked.

Note that weather and time of day changes still don't work in Native MP, sadly. There are tricks to make some changes happen that look like weather / daytime changes, but afaik they are only "very innovative tricks" atm :grin: For example, it's possible to make a nice foggy map by scaling water_river object map wide (this is the way it was done in one of the 22nd siege maps). To get that fog working correctly you also need to block the sun (by huge earth wall for example) and not a single inch of the map can be under sea level. This is because both sun and water reflections (even when not directly seeing them) screw the effect. Good things about this "fog" is that it's 1) mad backstabbing fun, 2) doesn't use much comp resources, as it is only a sceneprops object scaled widely (means it doesn't cause fps drops) and 3) people can't turn that "fog" off to get better vision, because it's not particle based. This is just one example, other examples of weird innovative tricks would be the Hell map, which was in Nditions at some point.

Anyway, I might share more stuff later..

Please also check Turanien's great Tutorial "Creating a Multiplayer Map - (From Script to Hosting)"
Have fun at scening!

Topic Finished: Additional stuffs will be added later
PS: Sorry for my sloppy english, I will try to make the Tutorial better when I have time

Mr.X said:
You should apply to get it put in the "unofficial tutorials" area.
Thanks, and how I do it? Im new in TW I just added my tutorial from Ndition to TW. :smile:

RalliX said:
It's good, but unclear in some places. Do try and make the spawn descriptions make good sense.
Otherwise, this is good info.

Well I clean it abit, I'll try later to make the whole tutorial better :wink:

A few pointers for you to add, if you like.  :smile:

- I've heard adding rivers / deep waters in terrain editor might cause some problems. Also, you might want to place your rivers (by lowering ground below sea-level in Map Editor) and plants etc. yourself and set the random plant slider to 0 in terrain editor. At least once in the past TW changed the randomize environment code which lead into misplaced trees in old maps. Also, I think some of the trees placed by the terrain editor lack collision meshes. I suppose same goes for rocks. I'm not sure if it has any effect on performance whether plants are placed automatically by terrain code or manually. It does have an effect on map file size of course.

This can be avoided by stripping vegetation from a scene in the SP terrain editor.

- Be careful when editing ground levels and ground textures. Smooth things tend to be less buggy than radical small scale changes here (especially ground textures tend to get bugged by weird reflections easily).

I found this to be an interesting quirk but it is readily fixable. It seems to happen most often when the rock textures are blended in with another texture. To remedy it, simply re-apply the rock texture (a quick tap of the mouse will do) to the afflicted area. It will most certainly remove the 'mirror' that occurs and will simply flood the area that has already been textured.  :smile:

A great tutorial, especially with the entry points and the such. Although I can't help but think of this thread here for such things as the use of the the module scene files and so on, so forth. I did however neglect entry points and general map-making in favour of getting it in-game and hosted on a dedicated server. Now, new mappers shouldn't worry about anything - we've got it covered.  :smile:

Turanien said:
(...)A great tutorial(...).

Thanks I added them :razz: Indeed new mappers wont have an excuse now for their crappy maps :razz:
You can check one of my maps in Ndition, the one with a pyramid xD

Thanks for the tips Turanien

Ah, Snakes tutorial finally at taleworlds ^^

Good read for anyone who wants to get into mapping.

I was not interested in making maps at all... yet, now that I have got the tutorial.... :???:

ah screw you snake, you force me to try out mapping and I will most certainly end up mapping till 7am :twisted:^^

LordProtektor said:
I was not interested in making maps at all... yet, now that I have got the tutorial.... :???:

ah screw you snake, you force me to try out mapping and I will most certainly end up mapping till 7am :twisted:^^
MUAHAHAHAH! Thats the point, gather more mappers to warband :grin:
CounterPoint391 said:
Oh, just so you know, using the quick scene chooser menus.txt disables the final 'continue' when making a new character. Thus, you can't start a new game.....

Well CounterPoint391, I think I made clearly that YOU MUST USE AN MODULE JUST FOR MAP EDITING! Not only because of backup but also because it makes some of SP not to work. To Note: Turanien way to make QSC(Phyton and etc) wont make that bug, but its much harder to make and this way is much easier :wink:

thanks Snake for this tuto. it's possible to get the source code somewhere ? since i ve other features in game_menus, i can't overwrite with yours.

again thk u man.

it's a really great pain to go in each scene for edit it :grin:

michmuch said:
thanks Snake for this tuto. it's possible to get the source code somewhere ? since i ve other features in game_menus, i can't overwrite with yours.

again thk u man.

it's a really great pain to go in each scene for edit it :grin:
Hi michmuch, I'm glad you liked it :smile:
And here it is where is the source code: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,51851.msg1334787.html#msg1334787

Indeed, with QSC, it makes things 100x faster :razz: credits for dstemmer of course

someone told me after i had started editing that i needed to make a opy of the module  :roll:

Demonwolf said:
How do you spawn the portcullis so that it is already open at start?
Llower the gate to the ground level. :wink: and change its direction from down up, to up down.

Lumos said:
Nice tutorial, but please use the word "scene" instead of a map... "Scene" is the modding term for it, whilst "map" means the World Map.
Yes sir, done.

Back
Top Bottom