FAQs

Users who are viewing this thread

nijis said:
One thing that I'll try to do in the near future however is work on some scenes. Sicilian scenery is very dramatic, and I'd really like to do some semi-rural areas -- outlying farms, isolated bridges over streams and rivers -- that can be used for both looting and field battles. I was thinking of doing 10-20 scenes representing typical terrain which would be attached to the villages, and used whenever a battle takes place in their vicinity.

great idea!

i loved Sicily  :eek: Went over the summer. Was incredible.
One thing that struck me though, was even from as far south as around Syracusa, you could still see Etna lol. It was just so insanely massive compared to the surrounding countryside. You have to include that :smile:
Its a very lumpy place, with the rolling limestone hills (particularly in the east - we didnt go very far west im afraid, only a day trip to the valley of the temples, so i dont know about over that side)
But yeah, good to hear from you again :smile: This isnt the place to discuss the awesomeness of Sicily :p

Cyas around
Corvus

I assume he means the whole 'Keep your Lords happy' part. A Faction Leader might have certain preferences amongst its Lords, so that you might not get a fief due his dislike towards you. You might want to try and overthrow him with a couple of others if others don't like the Faction Leader either etc. Now the new M&B seems to support such things (Relations etc.), which really puts my hopes up high. This is of course due nijis joining the Team.

nijis said:
More thoughts in a bit. Comments are welcome!

We want more thoughts!

Seriously though, we all love your mod and I'm personally glad to see some of its elements in Native, I certainly wouldn't complain about a small update though :smile:

My apols! Actually, to bring the mod up to 0.90x, I'd pretty much have to rewrite it. This shouldn't be too difficult, as I at least know what ideas work and which ones don't, but it is a fair amount of work and I was putting it off a bit.

I am also interested to see whether I can come up with a "system"that is adaptable to situations other than Sicily, that credibly models a medieval economy, and that yields historically accurate results in a military campaign. I also want to have a mod that actually reflects a campaign more or less historically, rather than the more generic situation depicted in basic BfS. I also want to have an economic system that reflects the seasonal agricultural calendar, as that made a big difference to the planning of a campaign.

Consequently, I was thinking of working for a while on MorgTzu's new Norman/Saxon "Northumbria 1069" mod. I was going to help him get an early version playable, then do a mod of the mod, tentatively called "The Harrowing," which focuses specifically on the winter of 1069 to 1070, when the Norman "pacification" campaign caused massive starvation.

For what I want to accomplish, the situation in Northumbria is a lot easier to model than Sicily. The economy there was much less dependent on long-distance trade, fortifications were much involved, and there was no naval element. To keep things simple, I'll restrict the player to being a Saxon.

Also, the population distribution there was meticulously documented by William in the Domesday book, and there is a fairly short and discrete period of time -- say, from October of 1069 to the harvest in 1070 -- that it would be a real challenge for a Saxon player juist to survive. Exposure and starvation should be as great a danger as the Normans.

I'll borrow a lot from BfS -- including Haupper's NPC so far-unimplemented scripts, if he allows me. If "The Harrowing" works out, then I'll adapt it to the Sicilian setting, and start working on long-delayed Sicily features like ships and such.

One idea that I would like to implement somewhere to have several hundreds of NPCs in play -- not just feudal lords, but merchants, mercenary commanders, itinerant preachers, and maybe even village elders. I would enable player perma-death, but would allow the player to "reincarnate" as one of the other characters. I was inspired to do this partially by Dwarf Fortress, in which the player's colony can die but a very complicated and dynamic world persists, and the player can start a new colony and begin again.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

We're not worthy! We're not worthy! :mrgreen:

(On the issue of seasonal harvests, you should get in touch with Fujiwara and the gang over at Onin no Ran. They've done a lot of brainstorming and legwork on that one already.)

Hmmm.....BfS is turning more and more in 'everything I ever want in a Mod'-Mod. Its truly amazing that someone is able to make such a great Mod and I can count myself lucky that the Mod is somehow going in the precise same direction I'm hoping it can go.

That also means I have little patience! *pokes nijis*  :wink:

...no wonder Armagan took him in the Dev Team :wink:

Btw, Native is resembling more and more BfS... in 0.9x we also have the same options in the villages! :lol:

nijis said:
My apols! Actually, to bring the mod up to 0.90x, I'd pretty much have to rewrite it. This shouldn't be too difficult, as I at least know what ideas work and which ones don't, but it is a fair amount of work and I was putting it off a bit.

I am also interested to see whether I can come up with a "system"that is adaptable to situations other than Sicily, that credibly models a medieval economy, and that yields historically accurate results in a military campaign. I also want to have a mod that actually reflects a campaign more or less historically, rather than the more generic situation depicted in basic BfS. I also want to have an economic system that reflects the seasonal agricultural calendar, as that made a big difference to the planning of a campaign.

Consequently, I was thinking of working for a while on MorgTzu's new Norman/Saxon "Northumbria 1069" mod. I was going to help him get an early version playable, then do a mod of the mod, tentatively called "The Harrowing," which focuses specifically on the winter of 1069 to 1070, when the Norman "pacification" campaign caused massive starvation.

For what I want to accomplish, the situation in Northumbria is a lot easier to model than Sicily. The economy there was much less dependent on long-distance trade, fortifications were much involved, and there was no naval element. To keep things simple, I'll restrict the player to being a Saxon.

Also, the population distribution there was meticulously documented by William in the Domesday book, and there is a fairly short and discrete period of time -- say, from October of 1069 to the harvest in 1070 -- that it would be a real challenge for a Saxon player juist to survive. Exposure and starvation should be as great a danger as the Normans.

I'll borrow a lot from BfS -- including Haupper's NPC so far-unimplemented scripts, if he allows me. If "The Harrowing" works out, then I'll adapt it to the Sicilian setting, and start working on long-delayed Sicily features like ships and such.

One idea that I would like to implement somewhere to have several hundreds of NPCs in play -- not just feudal lords, but merchants, mercenary commanders, itinerant preachers, and maybe even village elders. I would enable player perma-death, but would allow the player to "reincarnate" as one of the other characters. I was inspired to do this partially by Dwarf Fortress, in which the player's colony can die but a very complicated and dynamic world persists, and the player can start a new colony and begin again.

All that sounds great, but please come back to BfS when you are done!

nijis said:

You can do whatever you want, it's yours now! (Which implies enhancing it) :wink:

Maan said:
...no wonder Armagan took him in the Dev Team :wink:

Btw, Native is resembling more and more BfS... in 0.9x we also have the same options in the villages! :lol:

Wait does that mean we can play BFS in .953?can you give me the link please?

Back
Top Bottom