Early access - Whats your comment?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Id like to start  :party:

OH YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA FINAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

If i could have a softwaregasm this would be it  :razz:

Honestly it’s a little concerning that they’re releasing in EA after nearly 10 years of development.  Weren’t we told that TW wanted the game to be nearly complete at release?  Something doesn’t seem right.  Are they using EA to distract everyone from the fact that the full complete game still needs several more years until it’s ready?

I understand that everyone has been waiting for a long time for a release date.  However, this is EA...not full release....after almost 10 years of development.  That should make you a little worried.

I think at this point we’re due for an explanation from TW on what exactly went wrong during development.  It shouldn’t have taken nearly 10 years to get a sequel just into Early Access (maybe call it Late Access at this point!).  There has to be a reason why it’s taken so long and now all we have is EA in 6-7 months. What went wrong? Can we have some transparency? 

I’m not that excited to be honest.  Also, just because they said it’s going to EA in March of 2020 doesn’t mean you should believe them. Remember, it was supposed to be in our hands in some form in 2016.  I’ll believe it when I see it, when it’s downloading from Steam. Also, since it’s EA I’m definitely not getting it on day 1. I’ll wait cautiously to see the reviews before I buy.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it get pushed back. But I think it's a good sign they are trying to commit to a relatively firm date. They will have created a schedule for that and will hopefully have a firm list of work to do that wont be added to.

PanzerDan86 said:
Honestly it’s a little concerning that they’re releasing in EA after nearly 10 years of development.  Weren’t we told that TW wanted the game to be nearly complete at release?  Something doesn’t seem right.  Are they using EA to distract everyone from the fact that the full complete game still needs several more years until it’s ready?

I understand that everyone has been waiting for a long time for a release date.  However, this is EA...not full release....after almost 10 years of development.  That should make you a little worried.

I think at this point we’re due for an explanation from TW on what exactly went wrong during development.  It shouldn’t have taken nearly 10 years to get a sequel just into Early Access (maybe call it Late Access at this point!).  There has to be a reason why it’s taken so long and now all we have is EA in 6-7 months. What went wrong? Can we have some transparency? 

I’m not that excited to be honest.  Also, just because they said it’s going to EA in March of 2020 doesn’t mean you should believe them. Remember, it was supposed to be in our hands in some form in 2016.  I’ll believe it when I see it, when it’s downloading from Steam. Also, since it’s EA I’m definitely not getting it on day 1. I’ll wait cautiously to see the reviews before I buy.

It's by no means something they actually shared, but I think it can be inferred from their blogs and other information that after some years of development they had to start over. I think this is related to the fact that they've made their own engine for the game, so at some point they may have had to revamp a fundamental part of the engine, and had to redo basically several years of work.
There's no actual confirmation of this, and I would love to hear more from the developers about it (perhaps in a post-mortum (though it'd be more of a post-partum) looking back article/video?), but I think this is likely what happened.

PanzerDan86 said:

Didn't they rebuild their engine early on? That'd slow things down.

madeking said:
I wouldn't be surprised to see it get pushed back. But I think it's a good sign they are trying to commit to a relatively firm date. They will have created a schedule for that and will hopefully have a firm list of work to do that wont be added to.
I really do not believe they would say for years they are "afraid" of giving a release date after messing up the first 2 times, only to give us an EA date and delaying that aswell... For me the "good" thing about EA is there is no reason to push it back, its early acces for a reason, people buying it should realise there will be issues,bugs,resets, because its not a finished game.

I just want to play in whatever form it will be in march.

It'd make sense. Besides, Mount & Blade was sold as Beta so this is basically the same kind of business model Taleworlds have been using (you know, for like, one game).
Early Access games are also notorious for being incomplete but people only say: "well, you know, it's got a lot of problems, but like, it's early access..." (looking at you PC Building Simulator, Mordheim and a few others). So TW now got a buffer for not "releasing" it and also get paid to have people beta test it.
Still, I've seen some games that showed up in EA and then just died because the EA went so poorly that scared people away. I'm reasonable confident that TW's got the basics down and the MP component is at least playable -- which will be the thing that hold people off until the SP contains are complete. So yeah, why wouldn't them?

Part of me would take the early access game in march but the other part of me would rather the game isn't released at all if there is a big amount of work still needing done.

Getting the full game given to you in little pieces takes away the magic of playing for the first time

I'm very disappointed to be honest... to me this only validates what most people have been saying for a while now, that the game is at least partly in some sort of development hell... and I at all times respectfully disagreed.

I mean, at this point I'd expect nothing less then a full release, but not only they're releasing it under early access, they are announcing this some 7 months before they do? Which means that right now it's not good enough EVEN for early access, and that's extremely troubling to me.

I guess we'll have to wait and see, but I'm concerned.

March 2020 for early access is a bit depressing. I had hoped the final release would have been thereabouts or a bit later.

Worse though is that the trailer showed no improvement in the spear usage situation; spears resolutely kept on backs. I saw one spear being wielded, but strangely that soldier seemed to have a second spear on his back....perhaps the worst bit was the end of the video, where a few infantry hold their swords ready- spears on back  :roll: - watching cavalry charge towards them. The cavalry smash through them like bowling balls, as one would expect. The falling down animations look pretty good, and it looks satisfying in its way, but the disappointment of seeing infantry not even trying to fight sensibly against cavalry cancels any positivity out for me. They have to be favouring spears against cavalry- if they aren't working against cavalry, when are they going to get used? They should be the primary weapon, the default choice for any soldier that carries one even against infantry, but I can only assume from all the videos we've seen over the years that Taleworlds have no confidence in the AI's ability to use spears properly. Given how useless they are when using their swords against cavalry, it is hard to imagine how much worse they could be with spears. And that was the ending to the video, where you would expect the most polished and impressive action to be shown....

Eh, I guess they just learnt from the Warband that in its true 'full' version has changed a lot from what we got on release. I feel like they're trapped in need for multitude of assets and finally given up under it and plan to introduce them/replace placeholders on the go while the game is already out in the wild.

Careful optimism, more pumped up about KoH2 and Amplitude's Humankind that were both just announced.

Regarding early access, just think back about all the news we had regarding the development of the game.
I'm guessing the game is about 80% finished and for the remaining 20%, TaleWorlds will use the Early Access phase to finish it with players' feedback.

I hope my theory's right. What do you think ? 

You probably are correct, broadly speaking (who knows what the specifics are in terms of %). Early access is something they said they were considering a few years ago, and I have long thought it was a sensible choice- almost inevitable really, if they want to iron out balance issues and bugs. What disappoints me is that we are still so far from the final release; the first mention of early access was near the start of 2016, the hope being at the time that we might have it towards the end of that year. I could feel better if early access had started last year, and for us now to be nearing full release. It just seems so long now, and the game, though it is still unique and has some features I appreciate, is looking underwhelming and even worrying in some aspects.

Back
Top Bottom