Does the physical size of the shield model on the character matter?

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm assuming the fact that all shields, even the tiniest models, are all classified as "Large" because this is Early Access. True or False?

Does the actual physical size of the shield matter as far as blocking ranged and melee weapons? i.e. those arrows or spear strikes that sneak by the edge of your shield.

Will a bigger sized model of shield give the shield a bigger hit box in order to block more arrows? Or is the physical model only aesthetic and the only stats that matter are speed(how fast you block/bash), weight(effects your run speed), and Shield HP(how much dmg it takes till it breaks)?

It seems the classification system as far as small, medium and large shields is currently meaningless since they're all "Large".

Thanks in advance ?

Last edited:
If it doesn't, it will matter eventually. In Warband the covering was actually the size of the shield.

I'm assuming the fact that all shields, even the tiniest models, are all classified as "Large" because this is Early Access
That's a useless question, though.

Pretty sure that's not true.
It is true in a way, big shields block more area than small shields.

However the Shield skill also increase your blocking area, to represent reflexively moving the shield to block incoming missiles, that's why they all seem bigger than they are.

If it doesn't, it will matter eventually. In Warband the covering was actually the size of the shield.
Of course it is not true. Shields in warband had just a circle hitbox, which was written in numbers on every shield's stat. But this:
However the Shield skill also increase your blocking area
is true. That's why even small cavalry shields were blocking the whole body in warband. I cannot say I liked that, Because shields were really OP in Warband. But tbh I miss that stats on shields.

Please explain how asking "why all shields are listed as being large" is a useless question. One would assume all shields, even the "light" cav shields and bucklers, are listed as "Large" because it's an Early Access game but one cannot be sure until one asks.

This is the correct place to ask questions about the game, correct?

Last edited:
why all shields are listed as being large
Iddunno, I think like so so many other things, somebody has big ideas for something that either got scrapped or isn't finished. Like maybe there was going to be multiple classes of shield that slowed you down more or less or had more shield bash or... who knows what, but it didn't get done so all the shields got coded as "large".

But big shield model does give you better coverage.

However the Shield skill also increase your blocking area, to represent reflexively moving the shield to block incoming missiles, that's why they all seem bigger than they are.
Ah. Fair enough.

Not sure I'd like it in BL, though. Most I'd see a Blocking skill do would be raising the shielding faster, and maybe take less damage to the shield (after they nerf shields a little)

I tried looking in the code and XML for how shield blocking worked and how shield's sizes are defined and couldn't find it.

I don't know if it's true but right now I'm operating on the belief that the shield's model (physical size) determines blocking until I see otherwise. I'm also using a pavise which looks ridiculous on a horse but does it feel comfy!

There's plenty video and anecdotal evidence of shield hitboxes being way larger than the actual shield.

Arrows that hit the shields hitbox, but not the visible shield itself are moved closer to the shields model (to avoid floating arrows around the shield)

Shields still have different sized hitboxes, cavalry shield users can be leg shotted way easier.

Some examples:

https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?forums/bugs-and-technical-support.476/

Hitbox size and coverage depends on the shield.

There is even a perk which increase hitboxes of shields against arrows so yeah they are larger than actual shields but not like Warband level, in fact even if i have the perk i got shot many times to my legs and even head with cavalry shields. Currently all shields pretty much have same stats so there is no point using smaller shields but they look better so i use them regardless..

That is not true, I remember shooting in legs/head just barely outside of shield model and shield somehow blocked the arrow because of invisible hitbox or something.
Shield hitbox is much better in Bannerlord, but still... sometimes my arrows clearly was landing outside of shield model but still got blocked by invisible shield hitbox. :cautious: and "magnetized" to shield after that pretending what player is blind or something.

Last edited:

It was, until you took the shield skill into the equation. Only after removing that skill completely did the shields have proper size without a magic forcefield. The only problem was that they still didn't protect the area they were physically at without right clicking.

Shield hitboxes use to be closer to their actual size, but were enlarged during the MP beta I believe because it was extremely easy to shoot around virtually all shields to hit people, as well as very common to get hit by melee strikes that came in at even small angles off from straight-on. I think the shield type at the moment is just a placeholder because the difference in using a visually small shield versus a large shield is still very discernible. In Warband, the "ghost" hitbox of your shield was very noticeable because it grew with your shield skill, where having 10 shield skill made even small shields like the steel shield cover most of your body.

I know it’s been a while, but why is it a useless question?
If the answer is that obvious please someone enlighten me, because it wasn’t due to early access as they’re still all classified as large shields as far as I can tell? At least I haven’t come across a non-large shield.

Maybe it’s just a useless attribute that has no impact and it doesn’t matter what size shield I have flinging about attached to my arm and they all behave identical?

Oh and I necro bumped this because this was the thread that came up when I searched.

I don't know about the shield sizes for mod mesh purposes, but in-game play wise: I feel like they have HUGE invisible hit boxes around the shields and at all kinds of crazy angles. I am really bad at the combat part of the game, but I could swear half the time I try to hit a guy from behind he still manages to block with his shield facing the other way :facepalm:.

I think blocking is still way too effective at all levels, from looters to top tier troops, using shields or weapons to block. This is one of the main reasons I feel so bad at the combat.

I liked the strong hits knocking shields out of people's hands in Warband (because the shield was "broken"). How crazy would it be if weapons could be knocked out of your hand when you used it to block a crazy strong attack (like a jousting lance)!

I only have experience playing in single-player against AI bots. In multiplayer I doubt I would survive long enough to witness an enemy blocking my attacks if fighting real people.

I know it’s been a while, but why is it a useless question?
If the answer is that obvious please someone enlighten me, because it wasn’t due to early access as they’re still all classified as large shields as far as I can tell? At least I haven’t come across a non-large shield.

Maybe it’s just a useless attribute that has no impact and it doesn’t matter what size shield I have flinging about attached to my arm and they all behave identical?

Oh and I necro bumped this because this was the thread that came up when I searched.
The stats are all practically useless, once you get beyond the T2 ones really. 70% of them have identical stats, size, or 'weight' (still don't really see this impacting anything combat-wise). Size, no where near accurate to the model; there's mods that try to make it better since TW can't bother with it.
Some, like the metal shield, obviously smaller size and easier to hit the legs with projectiles but looking at all oblong shields (even the Sturgian round ones), no gameplay significance.
In melee, it's only the HP that matters, blocking is just hitting your keybind and taking less damage if it also blocks in the right direction.

Back
Top Bottom