Do u like random companion generation?

do u like randoma companion generation

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

I believe we're gonna have both, and it doesn't seem it will be difficult to mod them in or out it in order to tailor the game to your preference. That said, if you check the XMLs there are plenty of reasonably well fleshed out unique companions with a seemingly very cool likes/dislikes system.
They're just not in yet.

I really don't want hand-crafted companions for a sandbox like this, because ... we already know exactly what's going to happen. People will analyze those companions, the "recommended best companions" list is going to come out, and everybody will soon make it a "common sense" to use the exact same set of companions -- or, use a certain combination that has some sort of unintended effects and breaks balance somehow.

I actually want the companions to be even more variety of random in their stats. The suffix/nickname could provide a certain "type" but the actual stats should vary -- and then with each new game, I'll get to look who's who.

I really don't want... "Ok.. new game.. where's my doctor Jeremus..." again.

Agreed.

They can always improve/expand the randomization pool and how it assembles companions, but the core concept beats memorizing the best possible party combinations and playing companion finder every new game.

To quote myself from another thread,

"There isn't much personality to BL heroes to make them have the same effect [as in WB] yet. They are unique in the same sense any two grains in the grain bag are technically unique

If we see some trait-based and culture-flavoured interactions between companions, now, that'll be bloody interesting. I'm still installing the first Lezalit mod that pops up on Nexus and never deleting it ever again, though."

The system is promising, but so far it hasn't been realised to its potential. Still voting "yes" on the poll though.

I haven't done it yet, but since you can mod out the companion limit and keep generating companions (remove the softcap), its theoretically possible to assemble an army of like 30-50 companions and basically Red Dead Redemption 2 your way through Calradia. That is a sweet possibility.

'It makes each playthrough unique generic!'

Fixed it for you guys. Once you realize every playthrough you have Steve the Wronged, Steve the Black, Steve Willowbark, you'll realize it's repetition.

I really don't understand how so many people are fooled by the fallacy that 'generational gameplay=more "end game"/different game.' You are literally playing the same game you've been playing the entire time. The only difference is that you need to re-level characters and names change.

Voted yes, but the variety is lacking and I need a rename button. I would also like stats to be randomised between values rather than set for each companion suffix.

I like it, it just needs to be expanded, more types, more names, more stories.
Maybe even add rare unique companions that are not generated with unique equipment.
Also really low level companions that start at like Level 1 that you can train after your own liking when leveling is finally fixed.

'It makes each playthrough unique generic!'

Fixed it for you guys. Once you realize every playthrough you have Steve the Wronged, Steve the Black, Steve Willowbark, you'll realize it's repetition.

I really don't understand how so many people are fooled by the fallacy that 'generational gameplay=more "end game"/different game.' You are literally playing the same game you've been playing the entire time. The only difference is that you need to re-level characters and names change.
I just cant understand how it works.

First game your scout has name "Alisa the wronged"
Second game your scout has name "Steve the wronged"

How does it change anything?

Yep there's too little number of generated names.
They need to name them like this:

Surgeon guy 1
Surgeon guy 2
Scout guy 1
Scout guy 2

Nothing changes, but atleast it is more easy to find and manage them.

Last edited:
The system is good enough and there will be some improvements, so it should become even better. Besides, with the permadeath being properly implemented, there will be no better option than generated companions. That is, unless you want to loose all of them without any opportunity to have a new one.

Of course, someone prefers to play without permadeath, but to my mind, switching it off totally kills the heirs system as it makes no sense in having heirs while you and everyone around being immortal.

I don't like the random character generation as it is. Having some companions available with some skill already is nice, but when you get the only smithing companion with 10 vigor and 2 endurance at level 11 so you cannot max out his smithing till he reaches lvl 28 is kinda broken. Looked around at other companions available figuring I just need a character with high endurance and all of them (even those with really high bow or crossbow skill) are less than 3 endurance or too high lvl to use as a smith. Making it worse is having to pay them to join you in order to see their endurance stat lvl. At the very least certain companion templates, like "the smith" or "the spicevendor" or the various healers which are meant to fulfill a certain clan role should have the ability even if randomized otherwise to max out their primary stat. Barring that, you could provide more companions of each type so there is a chance of finding the one that fits your needs. Or randomize them all.

Random is good, but the balance is poor and the lvl of companions is too high to really make them fill out the holes in your clan. Alternatively, if the ability to level up wasn't so restrictive or there was no "hard" cap on individual skill learning then things would work out albeit not as easily for the player. The level up system as it is limits the player to a lower lvl than the highest lvl that the player can actually hire and command (lvl 31). Even making it to mid to high 20's requires a lot of min/maxing the character development so that zero traits or focus are wasted. This gets even harder to get a companion to this level as they don't get anywhere near as many experience opportunities as the player.

That is the part I really enjoy.

I just started a game and lucked into 3 great companions.

If they eventually give Heroes random personalities it will be great to have to figure it out and manage your party on every play through.

A lot better tham hit the wiki for a list of who to get.

Depending on what you want your companions for, they are all pretty good. If you want warriors, there really isn't a bad one. If you want one to fulfill specific clan roles, they got that sort of covered. Only problem is the stats like vigor, control, and endurance are random as well. Which means that they might be able to fulfill certain clan roles well, but not at full potential.

Right now it is still a hit the wiki for a list of who to get based on their skill points in a certain area, but with randomly generated stats you can end up with a med school dropout surgeon with 10 points in vigor who will never get much better at being a surgeon, but makes a halfway decent undying unit for your army if you equip them well.

randomly generated companions is a great change compared to previous games. Before you knew what kind of companions you would take (i ALWAYS took the same combo each time in vanilla, and same for mods, like brytenwalda and so on...). This is fresh and adds more replayability and less predictability.

Back
Top Bottom