Cossacks 3 Released!

Users who are viewing this thread

jacobhinds said:
I watched the diplexheated video, it looks just like cossacks 1 with 3d soldiers. The cannons are unmanned, attacking musket battalions turn into disorganised blobs and are put at an immediate disadvantage under the stationary defender, and cavalry just ploughs through infantry like crazy.
Sounds just like good old Cossacks. I'll get it!

Also I didn't like Cossacks 2 nearly as much as the original or American Conquest, hopefully they'll re-do the latter rather than the former sometime.

Edit: The nostalgia is strong in this one.

Only tried stand ground with formations so far, they follow that command until I order them to move anywhere (which puts them in default mode apparently).
The controls are far from ideal, there's some needless fiddling with those but on my laptop it generally works.

More or less, the "difference" between this and most RTS games is that there is no population limit, soldiers have morale, and you can group your troops up into units of 300 men or so. In the original it didn't work very well though and you could never get a coherent looking battle.

There was morale in American Conquest, natives would usually break if you used cavalry against them. That made drummers and standard bearers have a real function. I think I've seen those in gameplay videos of III, but what are they good for if there's no morale?

So effectively they ignored all the good bits from II and instead copied over all the bad bits from I? What a shame, I was quite interested in eventually getting this.

I have Americna Conquest: Fight back on steam, but it works oddly with my screen, the in-game speed is slightly borked that requires a slider setting that makes no sense, along with poor path-finding from units in formations, amongst a few other bugs.

Also, invisible cannon balls are rather dissapointing, but it is still a fun game.

This Cossacks 3 does look like a 3d reskin, minus a lot of factions. Might get it when it's on sale, going to let it be for now mind.

Eh, it's growing on me. I enjoy the campaigns, although it seems that the old and proven strategy of "throw units at the problem until it goes away" works most of the time. I enjoy the more scripted battles too, the English campaign has a lot of those.

Also, any tips on how to counter cannons? Cavalry is the obvious answer, but if the guns are supported by pikemen it's not very viable.

Comrade Temuzu said:
Also, any tips on how to counter cannons? Cavalry is the obvious answer, but if the guns are supported by pikemen it's not very viable.
Armored units, their armor protects them from schrapnel/canister when they close in. Roundschiers, pikemen, cuirassiers.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/333420/announcements/detail/841435809500121001
As a finishing touch, we'd like to remind you that 8 more nations from original Cossacks (Netherlands, Denmark, Bavaria, Piedmont, Saxony, Portugal, Hungary and Switzerland) are making a comeback as free DLCs, availible to everyone who purchased the game.
Should've been in there from the start IMHO, but at least it'll be free.

Back
Top Bottom