Centaurs?

Users who are viewing this thread

raphu

Regular
would it be possible to make a Centaur using the horse skeleton but putting a human upper body on it and making it a troop?

just another crazy idea i came up with.

Hey, great idea! But it won't work unless you add bones to the upper body to make it an animated part of the game otherwise you'll get a 100% inflexible centaur troop.

wouldnt that be fun...i could probably get it all done with a tutorial exept for the files that would need to be changed...hmm i wonder if its possable to be a  Centaur...that would be fun....no need for a mount

hmm actually depending on where you where last hit(legs our human upper body) which made you fall. you could say if you where hit in the legs then you would be crippled and if hit in the upper body then unconscious makes since. but i don't know if you would want to be crippled for the rest of the game and if not then it wouldn't really matter what you called it.

what if you had troops with invisible boots and leg armor, then a horse with no head and like 500 armor, then they would lok like centaurs*

The only way to cripple a player, as far as I can see, would be to check whether main_hero_fallen is true, and then give the player some negative agility points, which would, in effect, slow him down (but only if he has some agility to begin with - but then I guess you'd give a centaur a lot of that at the beginning, to make it realistic).  I know that you can give yourself negative experience, but decreasing skills might cause M&B to crash - I guess the only way to tell would be to try it. :smile:

Decreasing skills - at least to zero - doesn't break anything.  Works fine; just feed troop_raise_skill a negative number.  Post-combat, you could also take away from the troop his "healthy" centaur lower half item and substitute a "crippled" one instead - easy.  But surely the aftereffects (crippled or whatever) are the least of your worries?

If you check the health of the horse frequently during combat, you could make damage to the horse (as percentage or absolute, your choice) reduce player health as well.  Can't kill with that, it just reduces HP, doesn't "damage" agents - you'll have a situation where the killing blow must be to the upper part, but even a zero-damage hit will probably be fatal if you've been triggered down to zero HP. If you do it as a percentage thing and set it up right, you can even guarantee that by the time the horse dies (potentially breaking the combo), the rider's also under sudden-death at least.  Or you could record the damage, damage the player, and then heal the horse, so it only ever dies if it dies within one shot (or several so close together the code doesn't notice); odds are the upper half will always go first under those conditions.

In the Python scheme exchange thread I posted the code I use to figure out which agent # is the horse corresponding to a particular rider.  You'd want that.  Probably also want a code to shut the whole thing down if he dismounts for some reason; the code I've got will at least detect if he dismounts, after that it's up to you (freeze him in place with invisible scene props and/or programmed movement, drop him to zero HP, spawn a black curtain or cloud of flies to hide it from vision, whatever you can think of - can't outright remove him, though.)  If the rider's Athletics is very poor and his Riding very good, the AI will probably resist dismounting as much as it can; still wouldn't want to combine that with my urban alleyway-ambush scene, though.

You'll also need a way to keep remaining lower-halves from wandering the field riderless.  Can spawn barriers around them as a 'fence' so they at least sit still, while keeping the walls low enough that they can still get shot/chopped, and will die soon enough (since when you detected the rider dead, you of course put the horse into sudden-death-state as well).

Basically, it's doable, but it's a hell of a chunk of code when all's said and done - and that's ignoring the rigging issues entirely.

raphu said:
just another crazy idea i came up with.
Your not the first, if I could make it I wouldve, if anyone else can, please tell me, I could use some centaurs for the mythmod. But I dont think it's possible. The way you're proposing is a lot harder than it seems/near impossble. I dont know if its possible or not to adjust the position of the human on the horse, if it is then it probably aint easy. I'm not sure, but are we able to add new skeletons yet? Cause if not then every human in the game will have to be positioned at the neck of the horse because the skeleton effects all animations with the human skeleton.

Plus, everytime the human player is knocked out, the "centuar" will be chopped in half, the human half laying on the ground and you will have a headless horse running around.
Or when the horse half is killed, you will have half a human floating around killing people...

The way I see it, the only chance we have of making a centaur is to make a realistic hoax of a centaur, make something that "looks" like its a centaur, but the animation probably wont be very realistic. Maybe something using the new items-shown-on-body feature, or just make a helmet that is a horses body, position it at the human's waist, and model a pair of boots thats 2 hoofs, so you will have animated legs but the human will be too short to fit all those horse features below the waist. However, I was able to make things such as scorpion men...i suppose half spiders would also be possible, but the way I see it centaurs are still not possible.

This is why I wanted multiple skeleton support in the first place.  Centaurs (horse-people combinations) giants (up-scaled people) trolls (distorted skeleton people), deer (down-scaled horses -although the animation would be wrong, they'd look good)...

All those completely off-the wall sugguestions back when we were in .635 are now well within the realm of possibility.  They just -as we are now starting to realize- are going to take a lot (and I mean a LOT) of work.

Chilly5 said:
Plus, everytime the human player is knocked out, the "centuar" will be chopped in half, the human half laying on the ground and you will have a headless horse running around.
Or when the horse half is killed, you will have half a human floating around killing people...

You can't trigger it so that both dies if one dies?

Nope; you can't kill an agent at all, right now, using triggers.  It has to happen via actual weapons onfield.

I have no idea about the mod system, but maybe you could suddenly make the other half a priority target and when the other half dies, make the surviving have like half or 1 hp...

DynastyFenix said:
what if you had troops with invisible boots and leg armor, then a horse with no head and like 500 armor, then they would lok like centaurs*

Both Yoshiboy and I tried that way back when. Didn't work. Don't know about now though.
As for now, you still can't change skeletons untill the all mighty Thorgrim allows us to.

Back
Top Bottom