[Campfire] - Where legends born

Users who are viewing this thread

February 1806
Just outside Munich

"Are you sure he'll come out of the city soon, Major?" The British officer, dressed smartly in his Hussar-Style 95th foot uniform, turned to the Colour Sergeant who had just spoken. "With Ocks you can be sure he won't rest his ass there while we keep harassing Bavarian caravans just outside the city. We can be bloody sure he'll come at us within a few days, if not sooner. And you've seen those men yourself, Harper. He has few good soldiers left since he retreated from Kassel, and one or two days rest at Munich aren't enough to get them ready for battle again. -- Hey, you see that? Look!" The officer handed his spyglass over to Sergeant Harper, and pointed at the road leading to the city. A small column of troops was visible there, leaving the city to the north, heading in their direction. Tattered sounds of a march-song reached their ears, and the marching soldiers came close enough to identify them as Bavarian Fuseliers. "You see that, Harper? Most of them are green soldiers! I told you, they will be no match for our Chosen Men! Let's get back to our guys and prepare a welcome for the Germans."

Down the road the small column, about 35 men strong, marched onward to the north; Their leader, Leutnant Ocks, was walking up and down the column, softly whistling the melody of a song he had heard Russian prisoners sing. He knew there had to be enemies around in the area, and reports of their raids had reached him in Munich. Now they marched through a slightly hilled area, with some bare trees wet from the melting snow. It would be spring soon.

The sound of a shot tore through the quiet morning.

"Kompanie, halt! Left-face, form a line!" The Bavarian soldiers turned to the left, and formed a rudimentary line at the right of their Lieutenant, who was at the back of the column. Now they were facing their enemy, who had started shooting at the left side of the column: About 40, 45 British Riflemen, spread around on the hills and behind some trees, and keeping up a quick fire at the Bavarians, who quickly lost some men. "Forward on the double-quick, boys!" Leutnant Ocks drew his Rapier from his sash, and ran in the direction of the enemy fire, followed by his men. They were well out of Musket range, and the riflemen had a good advantage over the Bavarians. When he had advanced a hundred feet, Ocks turned around, and shouted: "Kompanie, halt! Reform, children. Quick now, form a line!" The Fuseliers started to gather in some kind of formation, but the green recruits couldn't keep up with the veterans, causing confusion among the Bavarians. Ocks was losing men quickly, and he realised he could never form his men in a firing line in time. He sent up a quick prayer, and shouted: "Charge!"

The British, or rather, Irish Major saw the Bavarians resuming their charge, a chaotic collection of men. As they came nearer, he spotted the officer at the head of his troops, a short Subaltern with a ridiculous big ribbon holding his hair together in 18th-century fashion, and holding an old Rapier in his hand. "Hey Hagman, can you get that fellow there?" The mentioned Rifleman raised his Baker, and aimed carefully.

Ocks had reached the first Riflemen with some of his soldiers when the shot hit its target. The peak of his helmet shattered, and his head was knocked back. For some moments he stood still, his vision blurred by the shock and obscured by blood pouring over his eyes. Then he fell down.

That moment his men were already amongst their foes, starting a deadly fight with bayonets, musket-butts and swords. The Bavarians had lost over half their men, but they fought like demons; being shot at from seemingly every direction a few moments ago, they now furiously charged in at their foes, gripped by a rage which only fear could instill.

The irish Major drew his Heavy Cavalry sword, and hacked down the first enemy who came at him. Oberjäger Berthout shot him in the arm, and clobbed him down with his rifle. The remnants of the Bavarian company quickly managed to cut down their opponents in melee, and at last the surviving riflemen surrendered.

Although being shot in the face, the bullet had hit Leutnant Ocks from an angle, and he survived his injury. With his head wrapped in bandages, he had the prisoners brought before him. He looked at them with one eye peeking from under his bandage, and grinned. "We'll send back King Georgie's men in a suitable way. Over the hills and far away. Hehe."

And this, my friends, is how Richard Sharpe was sent home in his underwear.

mb108_zpseaf45fc4.png

mb109_zps72f2da27.png

mb110_zpsc9610cda.png

mb111_zps242a725c.png

mb112_zps68a89864.png

mb113_zpsc27b618b.png

mb114_zps374174d6.png

The Battle for Carlow and the Christmas uprising
TAKEN from teens diaries of Sergeant-Major Seamus McNeary
December 24th, 1805
As I look over my men as we prepare for the 1st assault I cannot help to repress the thoughts of doubt and despair. It had only been a few weeks since the rebellion in Dublin and now we march to battle again s t one of the strongest military forces this world has seen. Our band numbers 55 counting myself. From my counting we have 15 French Voltigeurs who came with me from my days in the French army, and 10 British deserters who joined up with us when they heard of the rebellion. The rest a assortment of farmers and freemen armed with little more than hunting rifles. There are a few veterans in our ranks both from the ranks of the British and those from the men of 1798 but alas they have grown rusty and dull just as their blades. As I look in their eyes aside from looks of despair and doubt I see the flame of hope the hope for freedom and liberty for all Irishmen. I can only hope that their hopes are not dashed against the rocks as it has been with the men before us. But today we rise in memory of those men like Wolfe tone and Henry Joy. If we die today we die striking a blow for Eire and for every man they martyr a hundred more will rise in his place. God save Ireland and God save us all.

author's notes
This short passage  is the first in a series of writings centering around ex-french solider and Irish revolutionary Seamus McNeary I will not post them in chronological order as to make a feeling of suspense although I will post them in episodes usually revolving around a aspect of the rebellion or battle. For example this posting is the first part of a two part episode revolving around the Christmas battle of Carlow.

At 10th July French General MacDonald was marching to the Riga, one of the most important port-cities in Russian empire. He got course to Daugavpils and went past it.
But there was a guard in Saint Peter church tower, who watched the scenery and warned if french army came.
At 17th July he saw a big cloud of dust and tough it was french army, so he warned the garrison, and it burned the city in front walls, that was mostly out of wood and burned quickly, unfortunatly, the went inside the walls and it burned part of the inner city. Later on scouts were sent to dust cloud, and it was just hoard of cows. THe watchman from then is in better hunting fields.

Part One​

November 1805
Spain, near Badajoz

That was dark night for town Badajoz and its surroundings. Except for one bright point far away somewhere in forest. That was the camp of sergeant Juan de Falvit's forces which were resting after hard battle betwen general Andrae with other portuguesse generals against king Charles IV supported by some spanish generals and sergeant Juan.
One of his men had been injured when battle was still going on and two days later he was talking about huge victory to all watchmen on walls during that night.

- Saludos sergeant Juan! What brings you to the Badajoz?
- As always business. I also have to buy some food, after last campaing on north our supplies disappeared so quickly.
- Good to here that amigo! Mayor wanted to talk with you. Go to him when you'll have some time.
- I surely will. Gentelmen move up!
Column of spanish line soliders and hevy cavlarymen moved down the street and stopped just before reaching main square. Then orders have been given and tired soliders went evry direction happy about few hours of freedom. Sergeant Juan didn't join them but moved deeper inside town to meet mayor. Night fell fast but town was still awake due to pressence of additional soldiers inside. This fact have been noticed by general Andrade's regiment. General himself smiled to nearbay officers.
- Gentelmen! Gather another generals we have to lure those aditional forces out of a city and crush them on field.
Messengers quickly run to other commanders and soon everyone was standing in Andrade's tent.
- Saudações. I gathered you to discus tactic for our siege.
- But from what we know town have additional soliders inside. Attacking it now seems foolish.
- Mabye but enemy think that we woudn't dare prepare assault on such defended place. Thats why we'll attack.
- We need some plan. Also remember that in previous battles against spanish forces we were loseing all the time. - Generals murmured in agreement. - And one more thing. King Charles IV and his army is marching to Badajoz as we speak.
- I'm going use it to lure enemies out of a city. - Andrade's eyes flickered. - When dear king will be about ten miles from city we will launch all sides attack from ambush. Because he's a king every officer nearbay surely will quickly attack us to free him. That's our chance!
- That is brilliant idea! - one of general's shouted. - But who will be leading attack on a king?
- Me personaly. - Andrade answered. - Last time we've met he defeated me, now I'll take my revenge. Rest of you will prepare defences to prewent counter-attack.
- Sure thing general! - some shouted.
- To vitória filhos de Portugal!
- Viva!

Some hours later.

Dawn came quickly revealing dense fog everywhere but not on hills. King Charles IV yawned and gave a look on column of veterans from Madrid. They'll do he thought. Second thing he made was grimace. He's here, that god damn hero who almost had my daughter in his bed! Damn him! And they even builded him monument! What a nonsence.
- Su Alteza we are near city. - One of officers looked at king and then quickly peered at his boots. King was in bad mood.
- Realy? How you can see in this darn fog? - He laughted shortly. - Good, call someone to bring me some food, I'm starving.
As column was moveing king's mood was getting even worse. Why he have to be here? He asked himself. Curse that day in what I appointed Juan de Falvit as a commander. Sudently shots came from everyside. Some soldiers around king himself fell down only to be replaced by new who quickly surrounded him.
- What the hell is happening here? - King shouted as bullet flew near his ear.
- Portuguesse su Alteza! What to do?!
- Shut up! We still have plenty of men. ALL FORM SQUARE FORMATION! - Charles's order was quickly made. Despite high discipline some of soliders didn't made it on time and got shot by enemy's riflemen.
Both sides were fighting hard but due to sudden attack spanish army started breaking up. During this time general Jose Maria was talking with sergeant Juan de Falvit.
- Saludos! What you're up to Juan?
- Nothing special. I'm going to wait for king. Mabye he'll start new campain.
- Hm, that make sense to me. But why king? From what I know he don't like you very much.
- Yes indeed. Mabye that's because this incident with his daughter.
- Realy?! But every daughter of his...
- I know. That's not like that. It was accident, all because that birthday...
He wasn't able to end because in moment he was supposed to explain whole problem huge explosion teared air. Both men jumped on their seats and instantly ran down to solider on wall.
- What was that?! - Juan asked confused watchman.
- It came from overthere. - man pointed forest not so far away from city. - I was supposed to watch it because king is arriving today.
Officers turned white.
- I'm going for our regiments, you quickly gather officers! - General Jose shouted and then ran down the stairs as quickly as possible.

Part Two soon​

Sorry for all mistakes I've made during writing this but english is not my primary language ( I'm from Poland )​

Back
Top Bottom