Bumps Work!

Users who are viewing this thread

xenoargh

Grandmaster Knight
Bumps are working great, and when they fail, now I know it's because I forgot to remove those pesky alpha channels :smile:

A random idear:  it'd be awesome to have a bumpmap slider to adjust the DDS files to the right depth.  Just a random idea, now that bumps work; I'm having to re-adjust a lot of third-party stuff to get the depth "deep" enough to get proper highlights on chainmail, etc..  Unity has a tool that will do this automagically, and you can do it in Photoshop with layers, but I thought it might be useful for tweaking, since a lot of newbies are scared to even try making normalmaps, let alone get them adjusted to look good.

Hmm.  I wonder if that's one of the unknown flags.  It's something that's in a lot of engines now, because the results in artists' suites are rarely quite the same as in-game.  If there's a big float left, that may be what it's for.

Although it isn't the in-game tweak you're looking for you can adjust the depth just be increasing the contrast of the texture.

Unfortunately openBRF wont allow you to tweak the depth via some parameter and it take effect in game because the M&B shaders aren't set up for this. The only way would be by modifying the textures themselves, something that might be beyond a real-time application.

Oh, I was hoping they'd have a depth parameter.  That's what I get for not reading the shader source  :lol: 

BTW, contrast is usually not what you want to do; instead, use the Overlay function.  I remember reading about that one once; something about the way the colors are stored.

Well, if you want to overlay two normal maps you need to set the red and green channels to overlay and the blue one to multiply.

If you just want to increase the depth on the other hand changing the contrast should work fine.

Back
Top Bottom