Blockscape

Users who are viewing this thread

Looks muuuuch better than Minecraft. However, I hate sites that make me log in just to look around at the different pages on there and I haven't played Minecraft in months and really don't feel like playing it anytime soon either, although this still looks so, so much better and more fun than MC.

Bite Me said:
captain lust said:
Meh. At least Minecraft had charm. This is boring and charmless.
Explain?
Minecraft is the fun game where you're that little block guy in the 3D 8-bit world. It has a nice retro feel to it and a lot of character. Like it was directed by David O. Russell or something. I'm not particularly keen on the game anyway but its appeal was that it was a novel concept in a fun accessible environment - NOT that you could build/create anything in your mind. It's NOT an exciting new medium for creativity.

This game appears to take away all of the fun accessible charm and tries to focus on the creative part. That's fine if it can legitimately offer something interesting creatively. However, I seriously doubt that it can. Ultimately it's still just LEGO.

Bite Me said:
Kleidophoros said:
It's a Minecraft clone.
/facepalm.

Notch actually tweeted his support of this title.
Who cares about Notch's tweets? There are only about a hundred minecraft clones around he must have given up by now.
Sandbox, blocks, creative, blocks. OMG DİFFERENT SHAPED BLOCKS! Sooo very different and awesomely original!

Minecraft wasn't fun, this isn't fun either.

captain lust said:
Minecraft is the fun game where you're that little block guy in the 3D 8-bit world. It has a nice retro feel to it and a lot of character. Like it was directed by David O. Russell or something. I'm not particularly keen on the game anyway but its appeal was that it was a novel concept in a fun accessible environment - NOT that you could build/create anything in your mind. It's NOT an exciting new medium for creativity.

This game appears to take away all of the fun accessible charm and tries to focus on the creative part. That's fine if it can legitimately offer something interesting creatively. However, I seriously doubt that it can. Ultimately it's still just LEGO.

So your saying Minecraft was only successful because it had its own aesthetic style with gave it what you would call "retro". That might be why you like it, but it definitely isn't why I liked it. I liked being able to build anything I wanted, and be able to try and survive in a hostile environment at the same time. I would go so far as to say I'm not alone in this respect. Comparing minecraft to lego isn't legitimate at all, as one is a physical toy and the other computer based game. How ever, we shall roll with your comparison; Lego: one of if not the most successful toy designs in the world, appealing to a large audience, including a percentage of adults, because of its open ability to create with very simple tools. The vast majority of people don't want to have to wade through model making applications, rigging, UV-mapping etc to enjoy something they have made.

I think it has its own charm, the peaceful music going alongside an aesthetically pleasing landscape of mountain forest and lake gives a serene and peaceful feel when you are playing. Perfect for creativity.

Kleidophoros said:
Bite Me said:
Kleidophoros said:
It's a Minecraft clone.
/facepalm.

Notch actually tweeted his support of this title.
Who cares about Notch's tweets? There are only about a hundred minecraft clones around he must have given up by now.
Sandbox, blocks, creative, blocks. OMG DİFFERENT SHAPED BLOCKS! Sooo very different and awesomely original!

Minecraft wasn't fun, this isn't fun either.

I appreciate you must love making everyone read your opinion, but in all honesty your posts are just provocative in nature, and aren't even constructive on top of that, if you hated minecraft, and saw this thread was about a similar game, you should have just moved on, instead of trying to incite an argument.

Bite Me said:
captain lust said:

So your saying Minecraft was only successful because it had its own aesthetic style with gave it what you would call "retro". That might be why you like it, but it definitely isn't why I liked it. I liked being able to build anything I wanted, and be able to try and survive in a hostile environment at the same time. I would go so far as to say I'm not alone in this respect, comparing minecraft to lego isn't legitimate at all, as one is a physical toy and the other computer based game. How ever, we shall roll with your comparison; Lego: one of not the most successful toy designs in the world, appealing to a large audience, including a percentage of adults, because of its open ability to create with very simple tools. The vast majority of people don't want to have to wade through model making applications, rigging, UV-mapping etc to enjoy something they have made.

I think it has its own charm, the peaceful music going alongside an aesthetically pleasing landscape of mountain forest and lake gives a serene and peaceful feel when you are playing. Perfect for creativity.
You know what doesn't exist? A version of LEGO where the blocks are a little bit smaller. I could be on with a winner there...

captain lust said:
You know what doesn't exist? A version of LEGO where the blocks are a little bit smaller. I could be on with a winner there...

Actually your too late, LEGO already saw that they could do more than just offer simple rather large blocks, and lo and behold smaller blocks of different shapes and sizes appeared, with custom built items to go along with specific models. (Do your research before trying to make an annoying little quip like that).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lego_timeline#19th_century

Who said I was trying to be constructive? Why the hell do I need to be constructive here? Are you making the game? Do you need my super constructive opinions?
You don't like my opinions? Don't read them; it's not like I am "making everyone read my opinions".

It is merely an indie title I enjoyed and have done my bit in giving it more attention.

Boohoo implies I'm upset by your pathetic attempts to provoke me, I assure you while I'am a little bit needled by people who have nothing better to do than to try and instigate arguments on gaming forums, I don't lose sleep over them.

Meh, I think I'll keep a closer eye on StarForge, it seems to actually be doing something different with the creative sandbox genre.

Also Bite Me: Get a ****ing grip, people disagree with you, maybe joking at your favourite game's expense? Big ****ing whoop, no need to get victimised about it

Bite Me said:
Sorry, I assumed you were at least trying to be mature

Kleidophoros said:
Bohoo, I didn't like your favorite new game.
Cry me a river!
:lol: What a gem.

Anyways, I am with Bite Me in his arguments with Lust. I never liked Minecraft myself, but I did respect the game for its extreme liberty, funny events caused by such, and obviously the creativity it allowed for. And everyone I've talked to about the game that likes it and plays it surely doesn't do it for a "retro" feel. I've always found the graphics to be unnecessarily bad, and I'm sure most agree. :razz:
Not to try to invalidate Lust's opinion, of course. My point is that it seems like the graphics were more something people endured to make use of the creativity allowed in the game, or just didn't care at all about them.

This new game seems to allow for more options all around, and a bit more mature graphics. Once it's complete, I guess it will be a superior game.

Back
Top Bottom