Blade polishing thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Machetes are something else though. I've heard those are excellent. And they're supposed to be heavy for cutting through thick vegetation and stuff. My main gripe with Coldsteel would be the weight of their arming and bastard swords.

Rallix said:
Teofish said:
Coldsteel are decent enough for semi-affordable decent quality blades from what I've heard. Their line of tomahawks are supposed to be pretty good. But I wouldn't buy a "daily-use" blade from them since they tend to be a bit weighty. At least from what I can see of the descriptions in their catalogue.
Well, my two handed cold steel machete cuts roots and trees quite nicely, and we've been using it quite heavily. I suppose weight is useful when actually striking something, and less so when carrying it. It get nicked and a chipped when we hit rocks, but those can be repaired and made sharp again quite easily with the whetstone.
A heavy blade is good for cutting, but not the best for fighting. It will be much more tiring to use, and not as quick with more complicated techniques.

Though countryside hicks are no complicated fighters.

By the way, a question. How feasible are wooden wasters? And is there a perfect wood I can buy to make some? (resistance/weight wise)

Teofish said:
The tradition part I can understand, and to some part defend. But it's definitely not about the money. It's about the service one provides as a military/law enforcement/etc. employee being of such value to one's country/city/whatever they owe you to at least not have to provide the most basic of required items for your service out of your own pocket.
Err, well, I can't speak for all the branches but for the Army at least, the uniforms are dirt cheap plus they give you a yearly budget for uniform maintenance that you shouldn't even really need to spend.

Headmaster said:

By the way, a question. How feasible are wooden wasters? And is there a perfect wood I can buy to make some? (resistance/weight wise)
I have a boken and it's good for practice and for hitting stuff too. No idea what kind of wood is it made of, but walnut wood usually makes good beating sticks.

Austupaio said:
Teofish said:
The tradition part I can understand, and to some part defend. But it's definitely not about the money. It's about the service one provides as a military/law enforcement/etc. employee being of such value to one's country/city/whatever they owe you to at least not have to provide the most basic of required items for your service out of your own pocket.
Err, well, I can't speak for all the branches but for the Army at least, the uniforms are dirt cheap plus they give you a yearly budget for uniform maintenance that you shouldn't even really need to spend.

Enlisted side, I'm sure the uniforms are cheap, and that they get a yearly uniform allowance, however, officer side, I know we only get an initial uniform allowance when we commission of about 250 dollars, and nothing afterwards. Further, Navy officer side, we have different dress uniforms for warm and cold weather, our whites and blues. Each set will run you about 400-1000 depending on the quality you want to get. You can actually go a lot higher than that as well. I've seen some very nice uniforms worn by senior officers, custom made.

I suppose the U.S. Military budget is a bit too strained to support all the fabulousness.

Bromden said:
Headmaster said:

I have a boken and it's good for practice and for hitting stuff too. No idea what kind of wood is it made of, but walnut wood usually makes good beating sticks.
I've made a couple of nice trainers from pressure hardened oak. Costly though. But it was mostly left-overs from various constructional endeavours.

Rallix said:
Teofish said:
Coldsteel are decent enough for semi-affordable decent quality blades from what I've heard. Their line of tomahawks are supposed to be pretty good. But I wouldn't buy a "daily-use" blade from them since they tend to be a bit weighty. At least from what I can see of the descriptions in their catalogue.
Well, my two handed cold steel machete cuts roots and trees quite nicely, and we've been using it quite heavily. I suppose weight is useful when actually striking something, and less so when carrying it. It get nicked and a chipped when we hit rocks, but those can be repaired and made sharp again quite easily with the whetstone.

See, I've heard they can be quite good for knives and similar. But as you said, they are heavy. I've heard the same about their swords, which isn't ideal. You don't really want a heavy sword. Well, it's up to personal preference, but swords are more about the balance and flexibility and a few other things. Cold Steel blades are heavy but not so well balanced, at least that is what I remember reading somewhere.

Eктωρ said:
We have an expression here, reminding me of that, it translates as "[x thing] is uglier than a scythe fight".
Silly, everyone knows x is actually even uglier than a handsaw fight. On this same line, one of my favorites is "worse than hitting your mother on Christmas' eve".

Headmaster said:
If you're American, I'd suggest hickory. Oak is good, but quite heavy.

Back
Top Bottom