"Arrow deflection" for two-handers in 1.4.1e

Users who are viewing this thread

Why?

I get that Witcher was cool and everything, but M&B was mostly made around "realism first" concepts, and having a perk that allows deflecting arrows, bolts, or even slower-flying thrown spears is just a big "lulwhut?"

Not to mention that in game terms, it means a skilled player doesn't need a shield anymore to face what used to be a hard-counter to two-hander wielders - ranged weapons.

What happened to keeping the rock-paper-scissors general infantry formula? Shield one-handers get ganked by two-handers, two handers get taken out by ranged, ranged gets creamed by shields?

To be honest, though, my main problem with this is that in Bannerlord we are NOT some superhuman mutant, or a character from an anime. Can we get something else in that perk slot?

(Edit: And yes, I'm aware of "pike shielding" and things like that - those were achieved by mass of weapons preventing enough deflective surface to work, not super-reflex skills of individual users)

You will face multiple archers in single player and a shield will protect against multiple arrows shot at the same time while the two handed perk is useful against one or maybe two archers.

Seeing as it´s a singleplayer exclusive optional perk I don´t see how this is a problem.
Not so much optional - even if you want to ignore its existence, current perk line has it as a duplicate choice for that skill level. Sure, maybe it will get reworked, or maybe not.

It just really stands out in a very jarring way to me from the rest of "somewhat realistic" implementation. Not to mention that I thought "balance" was the driving methodology of Taleworlds' development?
You will face multiple archers in single player and a shield will protect against multiple arrows shot at the same time while the two handed perk is useful against one or maybe two archers.
Yes, and I wouldn't bother with it at all, but currently there isn't even a choice of anything else at that skill level.

I had the impression Bannerlord core customers were all in favor of greater degree of "realism" than the average fantasy RPG player.

Not so much optional - even if you want to ignore its existence, current perk line has it as a duplicate choice for that skill level. Sure, maybe it will get reworked, or maybe not.

It just really stands out in a very jarring way to me from the rest of "somewhat realistic" implementation. Not to mention that I thought "balance" was the driving methodology of Taleworlds' development?
The majority of perks are still placeholders so I wouldn´t worry about the duplicate. I´m also fairly certain that´s one of the perks that currently don´t work at all so you´re safe to pick it to get to the other perks (that may or may not work).

In terms of it being unrealistic, I guess it is, but then again, I´d rather Taleworlds don´t limit the gameplay choices solely because of realism. Balance I guess could be a problem, but I´m sure it won´t act as a replacement for a shield, but rather a lucky once-in-while draw where you avoid some damage.

Something I should have also included in the OP - it's not just "player self-inflicted" perk.

Keep in mind that both AI lords and companions are supposed to ultimately use these perks.

Having eight of your companions wave away arrows as they charge the enemy might look "cool," but I'd rather do without it altogether.

i think the perk is a good idea if someone wants to play 2h, the perk isnt mandatory and if the block duration for missiles is small you need to have pretty good reactions

There was a lot of tests done on the topic and it was possible but only when the bow was underpowered and arrows were specially built to be slow.

In case of battlefields it was not possible except for pure luck.

Based on that this skill is not fitting the game for me however it's nice to see that something like this is possible 8n case some fantasy mods would use it.

I like it. I figure its probably very hard to pull off in action, so it seems fair enough to me. 2-handers do get the best abilities though. That and cleave through makes great axes very attractive.

Balance it by making the timing very precise, and there you go. You might be able to block one arrow, but then if there is a 2nd, no way in hell you are going to be able to block fast enough to catch it after deflecting the first.

Back
Top Bottom