arrggg - OBJ --> DDS????

Users who are viewing this thread

Deus Ex

Sergeant Knight at Arms
~sigh~

I am just trying to do some very basic modding operations - made a cube in wings, used the tutorials and manged to get a texture on it.

But now I am having a problem getting from my OBJ file I made in wings, to DDS so I can add the texture to a BRF (I haven't even started trying to do a collision definition yet *grin*)

I have an old version of Fireworks, IRFanView, Lurbs, Wings, GIMP, DDSView. None of which seem to be able to convert my OBJ file to DDS (unless there is a step here somewhere that I am missing...)

Unfortunately I cannot afford to buy an application for this - so I am limited to freeware or opensource.

Can anyone please suggest a tool I might be able to use - or another approach I should take?

many thanks in advance....

DE

Erm, the DDS is the texture... its just an image with the possible addition of mipmaps and alpha channel. An obj file is a model, its a collection of vertices and faces. They are totally different things. A model HAS A texture.

What texture do you have for your object?

This is my general process when making a model:

Create the model, assign texture co-ordinates (UV-Map it) export the texture coordinate info to a texture (I use Texporter to do this in max, not sure if wings has something similar).

I then open up the image in some img editing program (gimp in your case) do the texturing, and save it as a DDS image.

I then export the model to obj. It doesn't matter if you had a texture assigned in your modelling program or not, only that the texture co-ords are right. Of course it is useful to look at the texture on the model before you export though...

You then import the model into the BRF viewer, and follow one of the tutorials to hex edit in your material.

If any of the UV Mapping etc isn't making sense, try look at a few more wings tutorials.

Good luck :smile:

If you're just making a new thing of your own, I recommend just using one of the existing materials to learn how things work before making your own texture.

Update:
(for others who might have the same 'problem')

I found a nifty little program that converts many different file formats (JPG, BMP, PNG etc) to and from DDS files - it's called "DDS converter 2" (amazingly enough :grin:)

you can get it here:
http://eliteforce2.filefront.com/file/DDS_Converter;29412

This tool finally got me over this hurdle.

I have successfully textured my simple box and now it is an ok looking wooden crate... *grin*

Once I had this tool, I could take a DDS (such as bushes.dds) convert it to PNG - edit the PNG file with Fireworks, add my texture for my crate - then UV mapped it in wings, when finished I converted it back to DDS and - ta da!! :lol:

Now I am working on understanding the various methods for getting my new crate into the game.

DE

Objects are not yet moddable, IIRC.

EDIT: DDS converter 2 is great...I found it about a week ago. Nice clean interface, and like you said, it converts to any number of friendly fromats.

Objects are moddable. If you want them to be solid Fisheye has made a post on how to create the BO collision data so they can be solid.

jik said:
Objects are moddable. If you want them to be solid Fisheye has made a post on how to create the BO collision data so they can be solid.

Glad to hear it (had me a mite concerned there for a moment). Going to use FE's nifty python script to make a collision definition for my crate next.

But I'm still working on trying to use the stuff I learned from n008's nifty tutorial, to get my crate in the game. (major writing contract going on atm, so I only get little bits of time here and there where I can muck with it...)

Thanks for the clarification Jik.

DE

Back
Top Bottom