Armor and weapons coloring + skins?

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello guys,

Based on the last blog (regarding gameplay which suddenly went about banners) I was wondering how far the customization of a character and their equipment would go. We can (probably) wield large banners, and we know heraldic armor exists in Warband (I am unsure if they do in Bannerlord).

But what would your thoughts be on further customization and generally "promoting" your side? For example, Would you guys still want heraldic armor in the gave now that large banners are a thing? Or flags on shields and helmets?

As a side note, I was also wondering if weapons could be (at least slightly) colored when you are crafting them. I do not mean a lightsaber shaded sword but with a slight colored hue in the blade.

What are your thoughts?

I like the idea of coloured armor and stuff, but I wouldn't like to see it in weapons, it goes a little beyond, unless is just minimal touches like writings or just customizing the handle, maybe it could work for multiplayer, but I don't really know how it works, anyways, customization for me it's always welcomed, if it fits the whole atmosphere

More armour customisation sounds fine to me, I would also like to extend that to horse armour, though not the overly colourful and complex designs of the 15th century, just something small like different coloured trims or differently coloured cloth.

I would not want flags on helmets but I would want heraldic plumes.

Coloured blades seem a tad silly to me, and I can't really think of a good application of them. Maybe customising the colour of the hilt or accessories on spears might be a bit better, more sensible too.

Lord Engineer said:
More armour customisation sounds fine to me, I would also like to extend that to horse armour, though not the overly colourful and complex designs of the 15th century, just something small like different coloured trims or differently coloured cloth.

I would not want flags on helmets but I would want heraldic plumes.

Coloured blades seem a tad silly to me, and I can't really think of a good application of them. Maybe customising the colour of the hilt or accessories on spears might be a bit better, more sensible too.
Day One DLC?  :fruity:

As for the OP: If it only dyes cloth and Leather, then I'm all for it, but if it starts touching metal I'll flip lol

Pathan | al-Faris al-Bathani said:
I hope they add in different colored banners for rebellions, for instance all the vlandian clans have red colored clan colors, I hope that if a clan would go into a rebellion or into a civil was that they get  another generated color which will appear on their clan banner and on the their troops in battle.

Maybe that all armours are heraldic but only in color, for example it would be awesome to see aserai turban colors changing according to the banner of the army of the lord that they're in, but i don't think that they implemented such a heraldic system.

Most of the footage I have seen from in-game and screenshots, makes it look like it's pretty much the same kind way armor works in other mount & blade games.

Lolbash said:
I hope they add in different colored banners for rebellions, for instance all the vlandian clans have red colored clan colors, I hope that if a clan would go into a rebellion or into a civil was that they get  another generated color which will appear on their clan banner and on the their troops in battle.

Maybe that all armours are heraldic but only in color, for example it would be awesome to see aserai turban colors changing according to the banner of the army of the lord that they're in, but i don't think that they implemented such a heraldic system.

Most of the footage I have seen from in-game and screenshots, makes it look like it's pretty much the same kind way armor works in other mount & blade games.

wormydowg said:
Lolbash said:

I don't see the issue with coloured or patterned shafts for poleams though. it's historical, at least in tournaments, and allows for more ways to waste your denars on useless cosmetic stuff which is always a plus. same goes for engravings on metal. I don't want to see purple swords but engravings add character and variety...

SenorZorros said:
I don't see the issue with coloured or patterned shafts for poleams though. it's historical, at least in tournaments, and allows for more ways to waste your denars on useless cosmetic stuff which is always a plus. same goes for engravings on metal. I don't want to see purple swords but engravings add character and variety...
Engravings!!!!  :shock:
*smeagol voice* My precioussssss  :shifty:

Honestly, I probably wouldn't make use of most custimisation options past the first sword or two, but why not have some stuff? I guess they do have a dope crafting system, which again I'll probably make two swords and then forget it even exists lol.

Roccoflipside said:
Honestly, I probably wouldn't make use of most custimisation options past the first sword or two, but why not have some stuff? I guess they do have a dope crafting system, which again I'll probably make two swords and then forget it even exists lol.

Honestly... You shouldn't even be making weapons till your settled into the game... So your first two customized swords will probably be your last equipped swords... At least by your first generation... And once your main guy dies, it will be fun to see where that sword ended up... Provided the game keeps track of that.

But idk, yeah if it's easily done at the beginning of the game, that might be a bummer... Perhaps it's better to hold off till you have all the right pieces to make a godly reliable sword.

But yeah in warband, once I became a lord... My equipment only changed slightly throughout my progression. but I obviously can't speak for anyone else so let me know.

And once your main guy dies, it will be fun to see where that sword ended up... Provided the game keeps track of that.

If you remember the quote by Frank Elliot "kill his family withhis sword" then its safe to say that customized named weapon/ will be tracked. I also saw a video I can't remember that showed the diplomacy screen, and the named weapon was one. Customized weapons have a huge emphasis in Bannerlord considering that they have values tagged on it and can be used in a bargining tool.

wormydowg said:
Roccoflipside said:

Honestly... You shouldn't even be making weapons till your settled into the game... So your first two customized swords will probably be your last equipped swords... At least by your first generation... And once your main guy dies, it will be fun to see where that sword ended up... Provided the game keeps track of that.

But idk, yeah if it's easily done at the beginning of the game, that might be a bummer... Perhaps it's better to hold off till you have all the right pieces to make a godly reliable sword.

But yeah in warband, once I became a lord... My equipment only changed slightly throughout my progression. but I obviously can't speak for anyone else so let me know.

I don't know about the current state of weapon crafting and going off the previously shown content I wouldn't think it'd be a usual early game component, though you could probably go straight for it if you want. I mean it's not that cheap but other than that there doesn't seem to be much that spaces out the progression of the character's equipment. Though then again my gear rarely changed in Warband after I win a few tournaments so I have enough money to buy good items. Very rarely did I become a lord then get decent items, it was always before.

In Warband the only real time I updated my items was when there was a better version of my current items (better modifiers) but apart from that I was pretty much set. Modifiers still exist in Bannerlord but I'm not sure that will affect crafted items, maybe the crafting skill will determine what modifier is applied to the crafted item? I really hope that crafted items simply have no modifiers at all as that's a little boring. In an attempt to try and link this back to the OP, and an old discussion from another thread, maybe there could be different materials. Different smiths would have used different materials and would have had different quality steel especially in different cultures. Maybe more skilled blacksmiths use better steels with better alloys and thus have different textures.

Also, as stated by Lolbash, it does seem like the game will track named items. Apart from the example referenced by Lolbash I also remember another example where they talk about how you can be captured by bandits, they steal your named weapon, like {Wickedly Malicious Dagger}, and once you escape you can hunt them hunt down and kill them and reclaim your weapon.

wormydowg said:
Bandit: There it is! The Ancient sword of legends carried by xXButt****er69Xx!

Blead said:
wormydowg said:
Bandit: There it is! The Ancient sword of legends carried by xXButt****er69Xx!

Lol it's funnier because "xX" is to combat duplicates in username databases.

Actually, coloring metal armor was historical.  Like the old Henry Ford cars, you had your choice of any color you wanted, as long as you wanted black.  Armor was often blackened to seal it against rust, particularly if regular cleaning and polishing wasn't an option.  This was apparently done rather frequently to equipment intended for use by levies and conscripts, where there was no guarantee that the user would make any effort at all at maintenance.  A "Black Knight" was a symbol of a noble fallen from grace, or someone not of noble origin, without the resources and accompanying squires and servants to maintain his equipment.  There were a few armies which used this technique for cosmetic reasons as well as practicality, such as the Hungarian "Black Army".

As for other colors, there are a few examples of the parade armor of specific high ranking nobles and royalty receiving a colorful lacquer coating, but it was never intended to hold up in combat.  If you wanted to create a unified color scheme for your troops, you handed out colorful tabards to put over their armor, colorful banners, and other cloth accessories to add that color.  The metal was silver, except when it was black.

Back
Top Bottom