Archers Ignore Commands in Seiges

Users who are viewing this thread

Tell me I am doing something wrong. This is such a pain I am done playing the game until I it works better. When defending a castle and I command that all troops come to me, any group with archers ignores me and they continue to ignore me no matter what I command. In addition to that, I set up groups at the beginning of the battle and the system creates something completely different.

I have the same experience with sieges. I find reinforcements especially do not respect my attempt to stick all archers to group 2, all infantry to group 1, etc.

I assumed hitting F6 would allow me to control everything like in Warband... but no, I don't think so. Apparently I am not to be trusted to give commands during sieges :mad:

In a way it is nice to not have to manually tell people to "go use that siege engine" or move back and forth from gate to siege tower or whatever... but I do miss positioning my archers on towers and such (especially when on the offense and a hole presents itself before more reinforcements arrive). The AI seems to work much better for infantry than for archers :dead:

At least throwing rocks or flammable ammunition can be fun. I particularly enjoyed one offensive siege when I ran up a ladder (while my troops were slowly pushing the battering ram), opened the gate from inside, knocked out some guys loading a fire onager (or mangonel? whatever) and then started throwing their own fire bombs down at the defenders :twisted:

I've noticed a different issue with archers and offensive sieges. The archers will stop if there is an enemy within range, but ignores line of sight. The archer "knows" there is a enemy in range, but doesn't have a clear shot, so he just stands there. Once all the units are killed by infantry, then the archer will move toward another enemy and repeat this. He will shot if he has line of sight, so it's not a complete bust. I use the Charge command, I guess I can try something different next time.

I've completely given up trying to control bots during sieges and just let them do what they're going to do. The only thing that breaks this is when everyone stops moving which has happened more than once in a couple of hundred hours. It is what it is as far as I can tell. Maybe a dev can chip in to say what they were trying to achieve.

I assumed hitting F6 would allow me to control everything like in Warband... but no, I don't think so. Apparently I am not to be trusted to give commands during sieges :mad:

I've decided F6 is to just make sure any troops under your command go with the AI as opposed to having fancy ideas of their own. Or for being lazy when solo.

If I have most of the troops and am fine if the AI looses all theirs in a win, I won't F6. If I know the AI is going to slaughter themselves, I may not F6 to save a few. Otherwise it just makes sure your lot stay in formation.

It is very useful to me on caravan defense missions. If all the caravan AI troops die that is an auto fail. Even if it doesn't make the best use of the troops or terrain, using F6 then makes sure at least there should be enough of my guys standing in the same (possibly bone-headed, its random) spot. So hopefully some or all of them survive.

Current use of horse archers by AI in field engagements, where the AI has few of them is driving me batty however.

The only thing that breaks this is when everyone stops moving which has happened more than once in a couple of hundred hours
This is what I'm talking about. That happens every siege for me. I have to pay attention and hold fire once and a while so they move.

If I press "2" and "F1" & "F3", archers will move forward to attack then stop within bow range. Seems to make sense.
I do this too, but the archers will stop and stand around. It's what I described, I think they have a target in range, but can't see it so they just stand there.

I do this too, but the archers will stop and stand around. It's what I described, I think they have a target in range, but can't see it so they just stand there.
Once I've taken the walls and am fighting in the city, I will click "2" then click on the map, on the walls. The archers will move to take positions on the walls, to shoot down on the enemy. This works ok.

Tell me I am doing something wrong. This is such a pain I am done playing the game until I it works better. When defending a castle and I command that all troops come to me, any group with archers ignores me and they continue to ignore me no matter what I command. In addition to that, I set up groups at the beginning of the battle and the system creates something completely different.
It seems the infantry I place in front of ladders on the parapet stay put, I use the shield wall command. Also if I place archers in front of a ladder they will stay put. What is problematic is the archers that dont have a los to an enemy will just stand there and not use ranged weapons (waste of resource basically), they will however defend the ladder position. I am not really sure how "auto" feature works. Before I'd just cover the ladder areas and let the archers and others do their thing. Now I micromanage a bit more. Also, I tried the "command all" (for lack of a better term) feature and it does not seem to order "all" of the units. Some units just do their own thing. Bottom line, your right the siege commands are a bit wonky. That being said I do manage to hold off superior forces with a small force consistently with little to no losses consistently so its functional.

Back
Top Bottom