Anyone tried Dwarf Fortress?

Users who are viewing this thread

Aenarion said:
Okay... Is there any easy way to get dragon bone?
He's asking for trouble, mate. Not your fault. It all looks like that son of a dwarf biatch is questioning your authority :smile: So you better deal with it harshly

Meanwhile I'm having a blast with hostile-ridden map. I built a nice tunnel for dwarven and human wagons, resticting their spawn point, so they reach my depot just fine. However stupid elven caravans do not use wagons, hence spawning in all the different places - and are slaughtered by undead in a matter of seconds. The map is littered with elven bones.
And, oh my, immigrants...  :grin: Each arrival is a crazy survival race, with first dwarfs distracting undead hordes and making a run (always futile, but sometimes quite prolonged) in different directions, while others try to make it to the tunnel entrance. With me clicking here and there forbidding new loot from new corpses

Aenarion said:
Okay... Is there any easy way to get dragon bone?

The only noble I have (new fort again :twisted:) is the mayor(miner). When I gave him a new room I found out it was DIRECTLY under the chamber I flood before sending water to my  farms (water tank-floodgate-room-flodgate-farm). Needles to say I made another purpose to the room room  :twisted:.
If he gets anoyin I'll lock him in his room  :twisted:

GetAssista said:
I'm having a lot of fun with the location posted on bay12games forums
10 pages of local aggressive fauna + lots of travelling elephants, both live and undead varieties.
I tried to start several times and was slaughtered almost on arrival, then got lucky and was able to wall in and dive down underground before baddies noticed me.
Here's how an ordinary river looks like  :razz:
poolkj3.gif

Those fishes are zombie and skeletal carps btw - they have no problems walking on ground
Merchants have not a single chance to reach me by surface, so I had to dig highways to all the map edges underground and pray that skeletal hippos not notice before merchants dive in.

i'm confused and noone else commented - why does this screenshot for dwarf fortress look less like arse than usual? how do you get it to be semi-sprited?

while i love the text based game for all it is and has been - dwarf fortress would be so much nicer and less overwhelming with some simply representative tile based sprites going on.

manboy86 said:
how do you get it to be semi-sprited?

Character tile sets:

http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/List_of_user_graphics_sets

Terrain:

http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/List_of_user_character_sets

There is some instructions how to use them, you have to edit text files and put graphic sets to right folders.

http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Technical_tricks

Maybe there is guide somewhere in DF home forum how to make that all step by step if you have problems with it, not sure. All the information should be available in wiki too though.

If you wanted something simpler, there's a prepackaged copy of DF with Guybrush's tileset and Dystopian Rhetoric's graphic set which was uploaded to the DFFD:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=62
Of course, you'll need a horizontal resolution of 1280 (1280x960 or 1280x1024) for it to look right, as with almost all of the graphic sets and many of the tilesets.

Question:
do the insane elves/humans/dwarves etc. in the demon pits ever actually die from starvation etc? Right now i'm considering intricate ways to kill them (and as many demons as possible), but that's a bit hard to do without resorting to killing many regular demons while i'm at it. (this is, assuming i actually survive the demons)

so far i've come up with the idea of a giant multi story (10+) cistern of magma that flushes into the pits when i breech them

Answer: I think that only civ creatures that weren't already present on the map when it started need to eat.

Another question:

What's the best way to find demon pits? I've never encountered any actually. Does each map have demon pits, and how deep are they?

I had the funniest situation ever yesterday. Human caravan arrived and dived into a tunnel safely, except the very last merchant+camel, who was attacked by zombie hyppo. Guard rushed to help and they killed off the hyppo, but the merchant was badly hurt and lost his arm. So he started crawling towards depot at a speed of, like, 1 tile in 5 real-time minutes, passing out after each step. Given the fact that my tunnel spans for 2-3 screens, that looked like a long walk indeed. But that's not the point. Point was, his buddies refused to trade saying they are still unloading  :mrgreen: 4 freaking wagons!!
And then in time they packed and prepared to leave, but did not move. I guess they decided to wait fot their buddy to reach depot :smile: And he made like 5 whole tiles already, 100 more to go... I had no means to put that bastard out of his misery, so after couple months I decided to cheat and heal him to not have a bunch of insane humans inside my fortress out of nothing.

Raz:
Each local region with mountain or hill has exactly one tile containing adamantium stuff. You can use regional prospector to reveal some of hidden stuff on embark screen

The Dragon Ari Kaditurot has come!

Perfect friggin timing!

Great, an enemy that can cross over my moats... Atleast I will get some dragon bone with the expense of say... 85 dwarves? 70?

Unless he tries the front door, which has 30 stone-fall traps (dragons do trigger them... Right?).

Edit: The Dragon killed a fish cleaner and an engraver along with a donkey before getting beaten up by a hammer lord and axe lord with minimum armor (only worn clothes and a helm, I think). They suffered not a single wound. That is one lame dragon.

Also, the dungeon master has survived. Now I can make him masterwork dragon bone items with my legendary bone carver.

Edit2: Can someone explain why the dragon weights as much as 10 kittens? Wat?

I told you the easiest way to get dragon bone was to kill a dragon :razz:

Raz said:
Answer: I think that only civ creatures that weren't already present on the map when it started need to eat.

Yes, but they only spawn once you uncover the HFS, until then there's actually nothing there.

Hidden Fun Stuff?

Tell me more about it. What does it mean? I have heard stuff about a portal to some other world, but dunno.

Edit: A baby just died from thirst because the parents died and nobody gave a fart about a withering baby. Why the hell didn't anybody take care for him for gods sake? He had older siblings as well.

It is sickening...

Do babies have the breathing tag enabled yet? I remember reading a story where a dwarf gave birth next to a canal, the baby popped out and fell in the water (the mtoher later died for some  reason), and the proceded to crawl around in the water for a while before eventual crawling out, around and all over the fortress before burning to death.

Back
Top Bottom