Abnormal stuttering/hitching

Users who are viewing this thread

Otreum

Regular
Just recently, my 8800GTX decided to poop itself and start artifacting, so I went out and bought myself a Gigabyte GTX480 which works fine with every other game except mount and blade.

Previously, mount and blade worked fine with my 8800GTX. I had maxed out settings with battle size set to 200 with a bit of random stuttering but playable framerate non the less (around 17-25fps).
With the GTX480, I can have about 400 in battle all maxed out to get that same sortof fps and stuttering.

Battles are not my problem however.
My problem is the world map, and the game menu.

After I got the new graphics card, mount and blade did an update, and judging by the feedback on this forum, it seems other people are getting stuttering problems (different to mine) aswell.

It's difficult to describe, but i'll do my best.
When in the menu, I notice that my mouse cursor flickers and seems a bit stuttery...almost like there is something running in the background and both programs are trying to fight over which gets the cursor display....but I don't have any other background applications running :S

The same thing happens in the world map.
What also happens in the world map is that the game has a strange stutter, like if I try to spin the camera, the game stutters and hitches, or if I try to move the camera, sometimes it will do it.

Wierd thing is I haven't noticed this problem in battles....not that i've battled for long but it only seems to be in area's where there is a mouse cursor present :\

I'm not too sure why this is happening, it hasn't happened until the game was updated...
Is there a way to fix this stuttering without turning my settings down?

If not, will this issue be addressed in the next patch?

Yeah, i've tried uninstalling it and reinstalling (downloaded the whole game on steam again)...still no deal :sad:

Delete Warband files in appdata->Roaming and/or turn off blood effects in both the launcher options and ingame. These two suggestions have been known to work for some people, I hope it helps.

Thankyou Flash vium.

I should mention that i'm using windows 7.

I looked inside steamapps>common>mountblade warband

But could not find anything to do with "roaming". Also I don't think blood effects is too relevant to this issue as it only seems to stutter and hitch outside of battle, in the menu and on the main map. But thanks for pointing that out anyway :smile:

Thanks again :smile: I'll have a fiddle around tomorrow and see if I can work any sortof magic.

IIRC, appdata is a hidden folder in your Windows profile folder, the folder where your Desktop, My Documents etc are also located. I'm currently on XP so I can't tell where exactly. It's not in steamapps, nothing to do with Steam.

This is where rgl_config.txt is on XP

C:\Documents and Settings\<USER_NAME>\Application Data\Mount&Blade Warband\

BTW, IIRC Roaming is another folder in Application Data.

Yep, you have to go to the control panel, click on the icon named "folder options" and find the option that lets you see hidden folders first.

Then you go to "Users -> You -> Appdata -> Roaming" and delete the warband files. I'm not sure why deleting them has worked for some people, but be warned that your multiplayer profile is stored there, so you'll have to create a new face, unless you don't want to delete it.

You might also want to try deleting your .ini file in your "My Documents -> Mount & Blade Warband" It's recreated when you next open mount and blade. It determines your graphics setting.

Another fix could be to go into that same folder and edit a line in the Rgl_config.ini instead. Try increasing the "render_buffer_size = " to like 100 and see if it helps any on the stuttering.

If none of this works I'd guess that it has something to do with buggy graphics drivers or corrupted DirectX files. Try reinstalling either :razz:

Another thing you can try, if all else has failed..
Look for an option called "Maximum frams pre-rendered" or something to that effect, in Nvidia control panel.
The default should be 3.
Try reducing this to 0 and see if that makes a difference.

UPDATE:
Ok...figured out how to fix the problem. I have two monitors hooked up. If I disable one, the game works how it should with no stuttering.
I'm not sure why this problem has started to occur now, I still think it's got something to do with the patch as the game hasn't had any issues with dual display before, but at least now I know how to play the game without it being unplayable.

Ah thanks for that guys :smile:

I tried deleting the mount and blade folder from appdata, but no success there.

Also deleted the mount and blade folder from my documents, no success there.

I edited the rgl file to increase the render buffer size to 100, then 500, neither made a difference.

I then turned down all settings to bare minimum in windowed mode 640x480 resolution....no difference :\

I should also mention that even when the game is initially starting up with the loading screen, the mouse cursor flickers even then. And in the main menu.

All my other games work perfectly fine on maximum, including Metro 2033 DX11, AVP DX11 mode, Crysis full settings, bf bad company 2, splinter cell: conviction and so on so forth. They all run at a smooth framerate without stutters. But Mount and Blade stutters like crazy after it was patched.

I played the game before it was patched and it worked fine, then logged into steam, and before I knew it, mount and blade had autoupdated to the next patch.

Is there a way that I can roll back to the previous version?

Glad you got it sorted out  :smile:

I have a very similar problem. My Warband lags on the world map after about 20 mins play and when I turn the camera it jerks.

I have a Nvidia 8800GTS
4 Gb Ram
Creative Fatal1ty Xi-Fi
64bit Windows 7

Tried increasing buffers, deleting the apps folders, textures on demand to off
I have only a single monitor so your fix don`t work for me :wink:

Combat is okay and dosen`t lag. only the world map after a while. It`s almost like it develops a memory leak or something.
This has happened pretty much every patch up to 1127. Have to keep restarting the game every 30 mins  :shock:

I have a similar issue, though my world map is relatively alright, save for the mouse stuttering. What I get on the other hand is immense combat lag which shouldn't be happening considering my hardware (I run Bioshock, Far Cry 2 at maxed settings). I've tried running the game in low settings, yet whenever I engage in a battle of perhaps 70-80 or so men or more, once hand the hand fighting begins I get a fat ass lag spike that lasts for maybe two minutes. I'm not sure what the deal is since this didn't happen in earlier versions of Warband.

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm seeing many people are having this similar issue. I guess I just have to wait for additional patches.

Wyrmhewer said:
Glad you got it sorted out  :smile:

I have a very similar problem. My Warband lags on the world map after about 20 mins play and when I turn the camera it jerks.

I have a Nvidia 8800GTS
4 Gb Ram
Creative Fatal1ty Xi-Fi
64bit Windows 7

Tried increasing buffers, deleting the apps folders, textures on demand to off
I have only a single monitor so your fix don`t work for me :wink:

Combat is okay and dosen`t lag. only the world map after a while. It`s almost like it develops a memory leak or something.
This has happened pretty much every patch up to 1127. Have to keep restarting the game every 30 mins  :shock:

Maybe see if you can create a Nvidia profile for the game, and set it up so that it runs with single display performance. Because I think the global settings(default) are set to multiple display.
Not too sure if that would fix anything, it didn't do squat all for me, but problems like this, just about anything could be a fix :razz:

I'm still not satisfied that I have to shut down one monitor just to play warband. So I'm really hoping a new patch fixes this annoying issue. It wasn't here until the latest patch -_-

I've got the same problem. Got two gtx480s and a 980x, 6gb 2000Mhz ram, and running the OS (win7 x64) and M&B Warband on an SSD drive.
Battles with more than 60ish people cause crazy lag to start happening, especially if I turn towards the main 'mosh pit' where the fight is taking place. Even in some tournament fights it happens.

I've tried running on only one 480 and running in SLI, makes no difference. Running the latest drivers, the 1.127 patch, etc.
Any news as to when a fix will be out? This is a MAJOR problem.

Well I downloaded the newest Nvidia drivers and spent an hour of trying various options on and off, through the driver control panel and M&B menu options.

The only thing I haven`t tried is playing in Direct x7 which I refuse to do as it looks so crap. I could be wrong here, but is it only Nvidia owners that are having these
problems? Totally stumped now. Guess will just have to hope that a later patch sorts out these stuttering problems.

Hmmmm, wierd. The flickery mouse in the menu's is back again, even with the single monitor, how very strange this is  :???:
However there is no stuttering in the world map thank goodness!

Just wanted to "bump" and make a note that this problem is persisting with me as well. It is slight, therefore not gamebreaking, but it is so incredible annoying .. It is very noticable, even if it *is* as slight as it is. Also, yeah, I am running Nvidia 325M with the newest drivers >.< I assume we Nvidia people are simply a bit screwed

Just to note it: No matter the graphic settings, this subtle stuttering persists.

I've got a GTX470 and I get random 'lag' in both single and multiplayer battles. Didn't happen before v1.127 and has nothing to do with the amount of units in the battle. It also happened when I tried to rescue a lord and had to kill 5 guards.

Try turning off Blood completely and see if it improves your performance. On the bug forums some people have reported that turning off blood fixed most of the lag.

Hmmm, yeah, now i'm getting some god awful stuttering in singleplayer battles for no apparent reason. Even with very small 5v5 battles, it's almost like whenever people get hit, the game pauses for a moment...so as you could imagine, it ends up running terribly slow.
Strangely though in custom battles, I can have 200v200 and not have any stutter at all :S

Back
Top Bottom