A 2H axe is not a baseball bat (Animation video test)

How do you think the swing animation for 2h axes should look like?

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

I suppose that's good then, it means it would be easy to implement and shouldn't cause any problems!

With the amount of love and dedication you put in this game, you are nothing short of a dev yourself; respect.
Thank you for the kind words, much appreciated ??.

The thing is that we can still stick to the motto "iT's EaRlY aCcEsS" and of course... many things are subject to change. Under that premise I give my feedback, specifically on hotspots of the combat system which nowadays in my eyes lacks a lot of things to polish. And let's remember that combat is the base of M&B and nowadays it doesn't work as it should (imho); starting with the animations, swing arcs, command UI, AI, damage and armour formula...etc.

So, first with these small tweaks I improve my gameplay experience privately and then I put all the material on the discussion table here in the forum to discuss and eventually lead to an official implementation. Whoever looks at my thread history can see how much I hate and love Bannerlord in equal parts :lol: .

I think what is bothering me the most is that the native animation doesn't have a sliding strike. I mean a sliding of the hand position from wide to tight at the moment of the impact. As an environmental scientist having done quite a lot of field works, I can confirm this is really an important thing to get when you are using axes or sledgehammers regularly. This is also something you see in staff martial arts.

Thank you for the kind words, much appreciated ??.

The thing is that we can still stick to the motto "iT's EaRlY aCcEsS" and of course... many things are subject to change. Under that premise I give my feedback, specifically on hotspots of the combat system which nowadays in my eyes lacks a lot of things to polish. And let's remember that combat is the base of M&B and nowadays it doesn't work as it should (imho); starting with the animations, swing arcs, command UI, AI, damage and armour formula...etc.

So, first with these small tweaks I improve my gameplay experience privately and then I put all the material on the discussion table here in the forum to discuss and eventually lead to an official implementation. Whoever looks at my thread history can see how much I hate and love Bannerlord in equal parts :lol: .
Can definitely relate on the love/hate dilemma :party:

I would give a shot at proper feedback supported by personal gameplay modifications like you, but I’m lazy.

So what I’m saying is keep up the good work lad!

Hopefully devs have been told about this detail, it should be a quick fix but those are probably some of the most necessary for the game right now...

Simply out of sheer necessity I have released Grip My Axe.

3594-1641741467-58881629.jpeg

If you are interested in everything described in this thread, you have at your disposal a small tweak created ex professo based on what has been said in here.

You can download it here in Nexus. Version available for Native and optional with Realistic Battle Mod compatibility.

Does this affect the range of the axes at all or it's a visual change?

Crazy how much better it looks this way though ?
It is true that the attack range is reduced in the modified version, but the reduction is minimal. Check this old video:

I recommend you to download here this tweak anyway; there's nothing better than trying it yourself.

The default animations looks like your character is holding a two hand sword. The modify version looks more natural, I mean idk who swings an axe like the default version in real life, looks very unbalanced when swinging.

It's not an easy matter to say whether it's "correct" or "wrong," because it's got a lot to do with combat stances, and in many cases, stances are fluid and often changed around upon convenience of the wielder. Some of the base animations look weird, yes, but honestly, so are lots of parts of the suggested animation.

For example, right-handed people wielding an axe usually don't switch grips to a left-handed grip, when swinging left to right. A "full swing" usually retains the same right-handed grip, and is done in the way Native handles it. Switching to a left handed grip for a left-to-right swing is more of an irregular technique, than a regular swing.

Semi off topic, just gotta say, the title still make me giggle, when the server has many players, I tend to sometimes just sit and specate the chaos, watching 1001 recruits frantically swinging their 2h/polearms like theres no tomorrow (exactly as if it was a bat), glancing 9/10 swings on their side mate, never seem to realize that there is a overhead and thrust attack, then complaining that Vlandia is OP

xD

Back
Top Bottom