3rd person camera angle in Bannerlord

Users who are viewing this thread

Pristo

Recruit
Greetings, people!
I'm new to the forum and I'm very happy to be able to post my doubt here.

Will there be any chance that the camera angle in Bannerlord will be moddable? I ask these because the only thing I never liked from Warband was my character model blocking my central view, making it difficult to see my enemy in foot-combat without moving the camera in an up-down ankward position, which made the character attack to the lower torso or legs of the enemy.
In 2016, a Warband modder created this:
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=352627.0
The "Fixed 3rd Person, Over the Shoulder Camera" part of that mod is the feature I would like to see in Bannerlord, official or modded. So... Would it be possible to see this in the future? I think it would vastly improve the game's combat experience.

Hope to see some of your comments! :grin:

P.S. I think the original idea of that new camera angle was born in "The reckoning", another Warband mod.

Moving the camera laterally introduces horizontal parallax to ranged combat. Since projectiles don't originate from the camera's position (unlike many FPS games) and are not hit-scan, moving the camera makes the reticle precise only at a specific distance (the parallax point). This is currently observable in native Warband on the vertical axis when firing in third vs. first person (camera offset from projectile origin vs. camera in line with projectile origin). Solutions seen in other games--such as Arma 3's smart crosshair--don't work with relatively slow, heavy projectiles like arrows and bolts.

If all you want is mod capability, then by all means. I would argue that it doesn't "vastly improve" the combat experience, but different strokes for different folks.

Orion said:
Moving the camera laterally introduces horizontal parallax to ranged combat.
Now that's a very good point.

I'd also argue that an over the shoulder camera could be detrimental to your fighting ability since M&B is a game where you have to always see on both sides of your character in order to fight properly.
I don't believe I'd like it personally but camera controls/viewpoint is a topic worth discussing I think.

Noudelle said:
Orion said:
Moving the camera laterally introduces horizontal parallax to ranged combat.
Now that's a very good point.

I also agree. But I always prefered doing ranged combat in 1st person view, so that wouldn't be a problem for me.

And yes, Noudelle, a laterally view would block partially your contralateral view, I considered that, but you can always check that partially blocked view rotating your character, and well... I think this would only be popular in singleplayer, for the new (and IMHO better) feeling that the combat could acquire with this camera type, given the (IMHO again) awkward feel that gives me attacking with your head's character looking the legs of the enemy.

In multiplayer, I would also prefer the normal camera view.

Hope to see more of your opinions, guys! :grin:

Orion said:
Moving the camera laterally introduces horizontal parallax to ranged combat. Since projectiles don't originate from the camera's position (unlike many FPS games) and are not hit-scan, moving the camera makes the reticle precise only at a specific distance (the parallax point). This is currently observable in native Warband on the vertical axis when firing in third vs. first person (camera offset from projectile origin vs. camera in line with projectile origin). Solutions seen in other games--such as Arma 3's smart crosshair--don't work with relatively slow, heavy projectiles like arrows and bolts.

If all you want is mod capability, then by all means. I would argue that it doesn't "vastly improve" the combat experience, but different strokes for different folks.

Well, they can just pan the camera for melee weapons and keep it right there for ranged ones  :wink:

Back
Top Bottom