Search results for query: *

1. Cavalry wage

Did a simple test a week or so ago with the players brother during the tutorial. I gave him the best imperial armor I could find (cheat menu ofc) as well as a pureblood and the full scale cataphract armor. He also had a 1h sword (forget which one) the heavy knights shield and a cataphract lance. Set all of his perks to be as melee cavalry focused as possible and sent him off to fight the groups of 6 raiders while I watched from the sidelines. All 3 times, he managed to charge at best, 4 times before being de-horsed and taken out. He did score some kills, however, with the best being 3/6 raiders dead. Now I'm not going to get into the ridiculousness of how all that armor failed so quickly (that particular horse has been beat to death so many times already, no pun intended) but you're telling me, that a "super heavy" cavalry unit cannot take out 6 guys wearing rags and wielding wooden clubs?

The point I am trying to make with this is that, with the micro management required to keep cavalry alive and the costs of the horses to upgrade them balances out their cheap daily wage. Currently, their only real purpose is to chase off horse archers (which requires even more direct micro management on top of what is already necessary to keep them alive) is balanced by them being so cheap. Until armor gets a drastic balancing pass and heavy cavalry becomes the devastating force that it should be when used properly, they are not worth more than they currently are.
  2. My theory on why the Khuzait are always the dominant faction in the game. (And maybe why Battania always seems to get beat up as well)

Haven't played 1.5.8 yet, but in .7 it was incredibly random as to who was becoming the first "super power". Over three different playthroughs, NE, sturgia and SE all gained huge advantages that the AI kingdoms just could no longer compete with. Admittedly, the SE was due almost entirely to my efforts, but once the initial wars were won in our favor, the AI was handling it well enough without my help anymore.

Basically, it seems whoever earns the early advantage manages to maintain it fairly well throughout the game, with or without the players influence. It is nice to see the snowballing working in someones favor besides the khuzaits, but it is still very prevalent regardless.
  3. Were horse archers intentionally made more dumb?

While the posts above cover the issue with player controlled HA's, the AI ones have gotten just as bad lately. They always charge up the left flank at the start of the battle, fire off a few shots, then slowly retreat back to their lines as my cav just slaughters them. I mean like a slow trot at best. It is even more obviously bad when the enemy decides to be defensive with the rest of their troops as the HA's will just do this over and over again until they are all killed off. It is a great way to lure the rest of the enemy into attacking, but I cant imagine anyone thinks its a good idea to throw away an entire unit stack for little to no gain.

Were HA's annoying to deal with before? Yes. Should they be? YES. TW please stop catering to the lowest common denominator's every time you make a balancing decision. Battles against proper enemies should be hard as a baseline then scale with the players chosen settings. Even people looking for the "casual" experience will notice that this feels wrong and the enjoyment just dies.
  4. Faction Destruction?

I got a message while playing a few days ago something along the lines of: "Steppe Bandit Hero has died of old age. Stepee bandit Faction has been destroyed." I was playing as a Vlandian vassal and in the middle of a war so didn't ride over to khuzait lands to check it out, but it seems minor factions can randomly die off? Does this mean over time, nothing but looters will be left running around as each bandit type loses their hero?
  5. Leveling system still unenjoyable and unbalanced

While it could benefit from some tweaking, the leveling system doesn't feel all that bad for the most part. If you put all your focus points into whatever combat related skills you want at the start, those will level very, very easily, generating a ton of character exp. With the focus points you then get afterwords, you will have more than plenty to invest in the support skills like scouting, leadership, etc, making those level relatively quickly as well. In my most recent play through, my mc had multiple combat skills above 200 and support skills anywhere from 125-200 within about 10 in-game years.

That being said, reaching 250+ is next to impossible unless you focus specifically on one or maybe two skill sets alone. Focus points only increase the learning limit so far and attribute points are far too useless but also far too rare. With how ridiculously easily companions can die, you need to focus everything on the player character to have any kind of a skilled commander. While I still foolishly try to use companions to balance out what I am lacking, most of the perks you want only apply if that specific character is the party/clan leader (as far as i can tell at least).

Basically what I am trying to get at is, focus points feel too strong while attribute points feel next to useless but are also too rare for how mandatory the tiny effect they give is. I don't think the player should be able to become a walking god amongst men with everything at 200+, getting the final perk in even one category comes at the cost of sacrificing almost everything else to do so, which is a bit too punishing imo.
  6. Companions dying..

I am totally fine with companions being able to die, be it a small % chance. The first time either of mine got wounded, they died. Both times they were the only casualty of the entire damn battle. Enemy lords that I damn near cut in half for 300+ damage (glaives are so damn op) are ALWAYS wounded. Yet my companion trips over a rock, and is dead.

I get this is EA and things need balancing, but even save scumming them back to life, they die the very next time they are wounded again while the same lord takes another 300+ damage hit to the face and is only wounded. Thats just silly.
  7. Soundtracks I listen during my Khuzait campaign

If your looking for something a little heavier with same folk-y feeling, would highly recommend either Tengger Cavalry, Suld, or Nine Treasures. All three are amazing bands and basically any song they have made is amazing but I'll link a few personal favorites to get started with.

8. A Discussion About What CAN Actually be Done with Villages

Forgive me if these are more invested than I would expect (I have 0 coding experience) but I have few small ideas.
    1. A way to invest money into a village to recover faster after raiding or just for small prosperity/growth bonuses for a limited time. Something like: 5k for 10% hearth growth and tax revenue for 15 days. 10k for 30 days etc.
    2. Simple special quests that are only available to the owner of said fief. Something like: Bandit Extortion from nearby bandit base, raid it for small temporary prosperity buff.
    3. Ability to install companions as village warden or something with a small contingent of troops, maybe up to 20 or 30 max. While there they provide small boost to village security and fortify villager parties with stronger militia but damage food production. Letting them also slow down the raiding speed/ deter enemy lords so we can get back from the war on the other end of the map in time to help.
  9. The AI should retreat and autocalc throwing hundreds of dice is bad.

I have seen the AI realize it's fubar'd and retreat. It is rare, but it does occasionally happen in what seem to be, very specific circumstances. My most recent experience, was fighting the Khuzait as a captain in the southern empire army. They had 1250 ish vs our 800. Balance of power was heavily in their favor before the battle and our (empire) AI knew it. They put everything we had on a steep hill in the middle of a thick forest. Khuzait cavalry came rushing in, as expected, but it was a one sided bloodbath. By the time friendly AI ordered the charge, more than half the Khuzait force was dead while we had lost maybe 200 at most. Their foot archers were doing the shoot while falling back thing while their infantry was just straight up running for the border. Their final wave never spawned in as we cleaned up the last of the remaining horse archer and the battle ended. I was expecting to see the battle results being a massacre for them, but they still had about 400 capable of fighting with about 300 wounded. When we got back to the campaign map, both armies disengaged and headed for friendly towns.

Wish I had taken a screenshot of it, since it was the rare unicorn instead of the usual full wipe situation.
  10. Prophecy of Pendor, a lesson in writing

Bannerlord feels (at least at the moment) like a proof of concept. They likely spent years building their own engine, designing and building the mod tools, and making it all come to life. It does feel hollow for the most part as far as story and interactions go, but it seems like their priorities are solidifying the foundation on which all of that gets built. You can have an amazing, 10/10 epic story that's immersive and thrilling etc etc, but it will feel like **** when the buggy game play keeps distracting you from it. It aggravates me that there is no real immersion outside of the battlefield, but it makes sense that it would be the last thing to be put in.

On the note of the character creation and family, I don't find it all that bad but it could use a little more flexibility. If you put all the pieces together and read the small amount of flavor text, it does paint a fairly convincing backstory imo. I don't like that the younger siblings don't resemble either the MC or the eldest brother, but I am sure that will get fixed eventually.
  11. Awkward Companions

So, I have been getting rather frustrated with the random companion generation in my last few restarts. Sometimes I don't even get a companion of my main's culture to spawn, but that seems to be more rare than not. My biggest issue/gripe is that the companion skills are an absolute mess. For...
Back
Top Bottom