Search results for query: *

1. harlehus

Anyone still playing?

yes. always.
  2. harlehus

Anyone still playing?

This is by far the best mod i ever played to what i believe to be the very best and most innovative RPG-game ever made. Anyone still playing this mod though? :)
  3. harlehus

Europa Universalis IV released!

Almalexia said:
    Would you just give it up, dude? Damn.

Basically this is the kind of comments I meet from SJW's(not saying that you're one) when discussing things like this. Instead of actually parttaking in the discussion or simply keeping out they come with these passive agressive statements indicating that you're an idiot for bringing this subject up or at least that it isn't very important and therefore they can not be bothered and so shouldn't you.
  4. harlehus

kalarhan said:
    harlehus said:
    But i would like the take of the bright minds of the Taleworlds forum

bet you can find a off-topic thread somewhere to talk about stuff not related to the game (if you did not notice this thread is about EU4, you know, the game)  :mrgreen:

I can't that is why I'm posting it here. Besides, I feel it is game related since part of my game experience is the community as well and how that community express their thoughts on the game.
  5. harlehus

What are you listening to right now? Mark IV.

Something about the expenses of calling abroad, in particular Jamaica:

6. harlehus

Sorry to bring this up again, most of you probably see me as obnoxoius or overly serious.

But i would like the take of the bright minds of the Taleworlds forum as to why it is regarded racist or at least wrong to call historical empires and countries by referring to them with food items. I just now got confirmed that I am not allowed to call the Ottomans 'Dürum'.
  7. harlehus

Eternal said:
    harlehus said:
    PS. i actually wanted to post this on reddit
    I'm not surprised.

It's always a joyous occasion when self righteousness enters the stage.

The reason why i wanted to post it on reddit/eu4 rather than here is because it's a much more relevant forum. I do believe i have been proven right in this assumption.
  8. harlehus

Dantе said:
    harlehus said:
    I believe that the forumites of Taleworlds and Paradox are far more sober than most forumites and therefore are in little need of these restrictions.
    Don't worry, stick around for long enough and that illusion will cease to exist.

I have been arround for quite a while now. Sure some places are bad but others are good. Seing as it's such a diverse and relatively big forum this is to be expected.
  9. harlehus

Golradir said:
    thank you for this information

I'm not quite sure if this is sarcasm or not.
  10. harlehus

Úlfheðinn said:
    Random sampling doesn't mean surveying everyone though, so even if they were conducting such surveys you are statistically unlikely to be selected (even for something like national surveys, asking a couple of thousands of people something is enough to get a good idea of what millions of people think on average).

And of course, there's the possibility that strict moderation is implemented entirely without the use of any data at all or even that data was ignored (business people aren't exactly known for listening to researchers). Although, again, I'd find it a bit strange that most companies tout a very similar line of strict moderation if it was really harmful to their brands/company (although we haven't covered it as well, there's also the potential they are motivated by concerns such as lawsuits).

What i like about Taleworlds and Paradox is that they take a stand against the bigger companies foul policies of DLC and other marketing blunders. Many big companies treat gamers like idiots and believe that 'If we make a graphically shiny game and promote it heavily the dum sheeps that are gamers will just go ahead and by it even though the gameplay itself is horrendous'. Taleworlds and Paradox listens to their customers and implement the changes that these so deperately desire and in so doing is very democratic when it comes to developing their games. Now, i might be naive or out on a lim here but why not take this same democratic and including stand when it domes to forum moderation? (Why is it alright here to treat your forumites as dum sheep that does not know what is and was isn't allright when discussing subjects on the internet warranting all these tedious rules?) I believe that the forumites of Taleworlds and Paradox are far more sober than most forumites and therefore are in little need of these restrictions.
  11. harlehus

Úlfheðinn said:
    harlehus said:
    How do you test this though? Who's to say there isn't a serious loss of revenue due to poor moderation.

Probably more of a question for a marketing person, but I'd assume the easiest way would be random surveys of players combined with looking at the metrics related to game sales and stuff like Steam numbers (hours played within a period of time and number of players). Depending on the game (usually MMORPGs) you can also collect exit surveys (that ask for example why you stopped playing).

Of course, there's no way of knowing 100% for certain, but most companies, especially thanks to Steam can get some pretty solid amounts of data.

I don't remember being asked 'Does the moderation offered on the Paradox Forums weaken or strengthen your incentive to support Paradox Interactive?' or anything similar.

I would argue that these test haven't been made. So if there is in fact a tendency towards more strict forums, and this move is done to increase revenue, I believe it is based on non-existent data.

By the way i really like how we can have a sophisticated discussion without any personal insults or the like. That is really what I enjoy about the Taleworlds Forum. I posted this on Steam and Reddit as well and the comments there are much more superficial and rude.(as was to be expected of course)
  12. harlehus

Úlfheðinn said:
    Nah, you're not reading carefully enough.

My entire argument has been:

1) Game developers are risk averse (they are cautious in regards to what could potentially offend people)

2) If being less strict was beneficial in regards to forum moderation, most major game developers should be less strict (again they are risk averse, if they even thought that moderating posts was leading to a significant loss of revenue, they would be quick to change their approach)

3) If you look at other major game developers they often moderate their forums even more strictly than TW or Paradox

So in regards to point #3:
    Second point you make(indirectly) is that because there are more strict companies out there Paradox and TW is not that bad.

You're misunderstanding my point.

The whole point of mentioning that there are stricter forums was to suggest that "freedom of speech" may not be as important as you think (as there are forums that are far stricter than the two forums you find to be oppressive). It wasn't to suggest that TW and Paradox are doing fine with their moderation because others are more strict.

Okay so maybe i misunderstood your point or maybe you phrased it poorly. Probably both. But this is less important.
    Still my question remains: How do you test this though? Who's to say there isn't a serious loss of revenue due to poor moderation.
  13. harlehus

Úlfheðinn said:
    My original post:

Úlfheðinn said:
    I'd also argue if you were right, then we'd see every major game company loosen up moderation to encourage freedom of speech, but if anything the opposite is true (if you've spent anytime around the internet, you should have noticed that there are much, much more stricter forums than Paradox or TW for far more successful games).

I'm not sure what you're not understanding, given it's exactly the same point I just clarified.

First point you're making is that moderation is getting stricter within the forums of most major gaming companies. This might be valid, I don't have the adequate knowledge to test its validity.

Second point you make(indirectly) is that because there are more strict companies out there Paradox and TW is not that bad.
  14. harlehus

Úlfheðinn said:
    Take TW, if there was a serious loss in revenue because of moderation, don't you think the developers would do something about it?

How do you test this though? Who's to say there isn't a serious loss of revenue due to poor moderation.
  15. harlehus

Úlfheðinn said:
    harlehus said:
    This is a vague argument. Just because there are worse forums regarding freedom of speech, it's allright that Paradox and TW is bad?

No.

It's not vague, I'm saying if you were right, and a large number of user's cared about "freedom of speech" on forums, several major game developers would have had to change how they moderate their forums by this point (as these forums are far stricter in enforcing "offensive posting" than either Paradox or TW).

No. This is a different point that is more valid that i deliberately did not quote you for .
  16. harlehus

Úlfheðinn said:
    I do frequent other parts of the internet, so I'd argue I'm not speaking from a TW point of view.

I'm sure people care enough to post, but what's interesting is behavior, will people actually boycott the Paradox forums because they can't make "Ottoman = Kebab" jokes? Will people stop buying Paradox games because they can't make "Ottoman = Kebab" jokes?

I mean, let's look at you personally, are you never going to buy a Paradox game again because they deleted your post? Because that's the type of behavior a large number of people need to engage in for it to be a loss to Paradox.

It's obvious that this one instant won't change anything. But if similar things happen over and over again, and they are, it will provoce a reaction. The way they handled this whole situation together with other very bad intances of censorship I'm seriously considering not supporting Paradox Interactive anymore. But since i believe you should keep game and politics separated i probably will not.

Úlfheðinn said:
    (if you've spent anytime around the internet, you should have noticed that there are much, much more stricter forums than Paradox or TW for far more successful games).

This is a vague argument. Just because there are worse forums regarding freedom of speech, it's allright that Paradox and TW is bad?
  17. harlehus

Úlfheðinn said:
    Sure, but again, moderators are always going to go with the least risky option.

People might not be referencing the Bosnian genocide by using said meme, but the chance that they are or that people will connect the dots, means that moderators, from a PR/company point of view, have a very easy choice to make.

I don't see it like this. Either way you're gonna push customers away so it's basically up to you to deside whether you support freedom of speech or not.
  18. harlehus

Úlfheðinn said:
    Again, I think you're a bit out of touch with reality if you think that's really going to happen.

I know "freedom of speech" is the new rage for internet forums (has been for a while) but most people don't really care if you aren't allowed to post "Ottoman = Kebab" on a forum.

I think you are outright wrong here seeing how much attention this subject has gotten on the forums. People do care. A lot. (Actually this is the most controversial post on reddit/eu4 right now)Maybe you don't because you are mostly here on the Taleworlds forum. This is why I'm frustrated that the post got deleted on the forum where people actually care about this phenomenon.
  19. harlehus

Úlfheðinn said:
    Like say you don't know about the Holocaust and you make a ****ty Holocaust joke or some meme related to it, does that somehow mean that you won't be pissing off a bunch of people with that joke or meme?

So what I mean is that your ignorance as to why "Remove All Kebabs" is maybe not the best joke/meme for an official forum, doesn't magically mean it's not a potentially offensive joke anymore.

Basically, you're looking at this too much with the perspective of "my memes/banter matter" when the moderators are only looking at it from the "this is potentially racist/insulting, so we better remove it before problems start" point of view.

No i just don't believe that by using 'Kebab' instead of the Ottoman Empire people are referring to this so-called racist meme.
  20. harlehus

Úlfheðinn said:
    Again though, you're not going to be able to make a good case to any company by saying "it's just banter/memes bro!" (because as I explained, they really don't care, they main concern is not in letting you express yourself but rather in ensuring they don't potentially lose customers due to potentially offensive banter/memes on their official forums being seen as being accepted or supported by the company/moderation).

I am not making this case, and you could see this if the discussion hadn't been deleted. I'm making the case that by limiting the freedom of speech and acting very brute and ruthless on the side of the moderators you are devaluating your brand since people will think less of you due to this undesirable conduct of business.
Back
Top Bottom