Search results for query: *

1. Difficulty

My infantry is majority medium, with I'd say, 1/3 or so heavy; but I begin each battle with the heavies at the top of my unit list. I find it exceedingly difficult to keep infantry alive long enough to upgrade them to heavies, and largely rely on releasing troops from enemy parties. The screwy thing about this mod is that enemy armies are back at full strength within a week or two of crushing them. Before you suspect me of hating, let me mention that this is my favorite mod, but certain things about it bother me.

Swords are cheap and plentiful; mail armor is plentiful, at least among troops; unarmored troops can stand toe to toe with armored troops; etc. Based on anthropology books I personally own, a typical warband in the migration period, which proceeds this by a bare 100 years, might have had mail for three out of every one hundred men, and swords for a dozen or so. This is literally the age of medium infantry armed with shield, spear, and seax. I've played four games now in which Bernaccia, the strongest kingdom of the period as I understand it, was crushed and Pengwern went ape all over the map. If anyone is interested in correcting these via a user mod, I would be happy to supply sources.
  2. Difficulty

I understand that this mod is intended to present a higher level of difficulty than native, but some aspects of it I find, well, insane. I've tried three times to start my own kingdom, waiting each time until I was over level 25, had over a thousand renown, and 300 odd troops, and have gotten...
  3. SP Fantasy [WB] The Veiled Stars | the Lord of the Rings [WIP] + Theoden's Armour p411

Is this a film or book based mod? It strikes me that one really can't be both.
  4. SP MP t

It would be amazing if routiers could be worked into the game at some later date.

Basically, routiers were soldiers, usually in English service (though they were of varied nationality: Gascon, Breton, Brabantine, German) who had turned brigand when peace broke out. But they weren't roaming bands of wild men: they were highly organized military companies, usually consisting of about 4:1 mounted infantry to men-at-arms. In many cases, they were garrison troops in captured castles who refused to relinquish them to the French authorities. They formed themselves into companies, ravaged the countryside, extorted money from and/or captured towns, took weakly defended castles, and basically destroyed huge swathes of France, especially in Burgundy, the Limousin, and the Mediterranean coast. The royal government viewed them as a local problem, to be dealt with by those most effected. Bribery seems to have been the most common method of getting them to relinquish their strongholds. Fighting was chancier, as the largest band, a conglomerate called the Great Company, mustered as many as 4,000 trained soldiers.
  5. Suggestions

First, cheers on the great setting; the Angevin era is near and dear to my heart.  Two thoughts:

One, in my game thus far England is steamrolling everyone, especially Ireland and Scotland.  England rightly should be the most powerful nation in the British Isles, but this seems perhaps a bit much.

Two, and this may seem pedantic, but the western armies seem a tad heavy on cavalry.  I'm getting involved in battles where the cavalry significantly outnumbers the infantry.  As far as I can recall, at no point during this period did cavalry make up more than, say, a fifth of an army.  At Hastings, I think they've been estimated as a sixth of the Norman force; at Stirling Bridge (a bit later, but still largely the same style of warfare) cavalry was a tenth of the overall force. 

Again, this may be of no interest to anyone but myself, but thought I'd mention it.  Good luck!
  6. Designing original factions

Just to add, the more centralized and/or socially stratified a society is, the more likely it is to have elite troops equipped with heavy armor and weapons; mainly, because good weapons and armor are ludicrously expensive, and the only way one can afford it is to have ten peasants for every fighting man and tax them until they squeal.  By the middle ages, the only nations, at least in Europe, that fielded heavy cavalry in somewhat large numbers were those that were at least somewhat influenced by feudalism and manorialism.  Being, in descending order, France, England, Germany, Spain, and, I suppose, Scandinavia by the later period. 

These same nations had almost completely given up the general levy by the 12th century except in limited defensive instances; it was better to keep the peasants in the fields, and wage war using one's personal retinue, vassals, and mercenaries.  By 1300, feudalism was pretty much dead, at least in the military sense; noblemen and captains raised retinues of volunteers, which were paid from the royal treasury.

There's a reason why clan and tribal societies (Wales, Scotland, Ireland, the Baltic Tribes) had such a hard time fighting off their more centralized neighbors.  Five hundred half-naked tribesmen with spears and bravery vs. 150 iron-disciplined knights and sergeants is a losing proposition for the tribesmen.
  7. Suggestions and Critique

After visiting more than a dozen towns, I have yet to find any leg armor at all for sale.  Neither have I managed to loot any.  If this is a bug, I hope that it can be corrected; if this was a conscious decision, I would respectfully urge you to reconsider.  Mail chausses are shown as early as the Bayeux Tapestry, and were in common usage by the time of the Third Crusade.  I can provide published sources if requested.
  8. Suggestions

In their present state, the tournaments are kind of infuriating.  Between the massive mound in the middle that acts as a giant magnet for cavalry and the archers one-shotting me three seconds after I spawn, it's getting a bit much.  Would it be at all possible to either A) expand the size of the arena several fold (historical tournaments took place over huge swaths of land) or B) make an option to disable a certain unit type?
  9. TLD (The Last Days, LOTR mod) for M&B 1.011 Info

Gents,

Wonder if you might help me out with something.  I will occasionally get errors in the midst of battles, large or small, saying "unable to restore vortex buffer".  I'm running Windows 7, 8 gigs or so of Ram, quite decent video card, with the improved M&B.  I've dialed my settings down some but continue to have problems.  Never had any trouble running Warband on max settings.

Thanks very much.
  10. TLD (The Last Days, LOTR mod) for M&B 1.011 Info

Loving the mod.  However, I get the odd .rgl error when entering a battle.  Just thought I'd throw that out there.
  11. TLD (The Last Days, LOTR mod) for M&B 1.011 Info

Sweet syphilitic Shelobs, it's out.
  12. The Last Days v2.4 (for .808) ---Next Release Date Unknown!

The Silmarillion offers a very good history of what happened before the events of the Lord of the Rings.  Other than that, I would check the appendices to LOTR, and perhaps some of the books Christopher Tolkien has put out based on his father's unfinished papers.
  13. The Last Days v2.4 (for .808) ---Next Release Date Unknown!

That broke my heart.  Damn you, whoever gave us false hope.
  14. Overpowerd muskets multiplayer

I'm not an expert on Samurai armor, but I do know that by about 1300 the best European armor was almost invulnerable to arrows.  Hence the move to crossbows, firearms, etc.
  15. [S] Scaedumar Mod - Beta version released

My party of 17 infantry is hideously slow.  Slower than looters, even.  I recruited Borcha, who has pathfinding, and saw no improvement.  Any ideas?
  16. graphics slow down?

I'm having the same difficulty.  25 vs 25 and I stutter like crazy.
  17. YOUR SUGGESTIONS

First of all: great mod.  Secondly, just a suggestion for the future: might we see some frontier-style clothing?  Hunting shirts with indian leggings, that kind of thing?
  18. HYW - Suggestions

Not to hijack the thread with a historical discussion, but it honestly depended on the battle.  At the big three (Crecy, Poiters, and Agincourt), the French men-at-arms outnumbered the English, archers and all, by a fair margin; at Agincourt, it was more than two to one, and that's not counting the six thousand or so Genoese crossbowmen.  And even with such numerical advantages, they weren't insane enough to charge on horseback across open field - except at Crecy, and it resulted in a slaughter when the horses started going down.  Rule of thumb after Crecy was to dismount and advance in closed ranks.  Like I say, I have no problem with the plate armor being nigh invulnerable to arrows, but I wish the horses were a tad more vulnerable to prolonged fire.
  19. HYW - Suggestions

I just watched 20 English longbowmen shoot nonstop at 20 or so French chevaliers for about two minutes from a range of perhaps 75 yards, and not a single horse went down.  Methinks the horses may be a bit too heavily armored, considering longbows, historically, were murder on cavalry charges.  Added to the impenetrable plate armor, it gives the French one hell of an advantage, especially if you're trying to play a historically accurate English army (dismounted knights + longbowmen).
Back
Top Bottom