Search results for query: *

1. Is my party size as it should be?

It used to give you more troops like 50 or 100 I forgot which but I haven't become a king yet in this version so I don't know if it still does.
  2. village improvements destroyed?

Villages just flat out stink sad to say. You lose way more money than you ever gain if you go for improvements.  :facepalm:

3. Vanskerry raiders respawning in hordes

Its absurd I believe its + 1 per level. So if your level 40s.... :lol:

Impossible to beat almost on high difficulty settings yikes.
  4. Peace is for the Weak!

I never do anything and I am constantly at war. 

So many factions want to get revenge against the faction I am king or vassal of because we take over so much territory in a short amount of time sometimes by 3 factions at once.

Its annoying because I want to farm Qualis Gems but I my fiefs are constantly sieged  :lol:. Then later I see that the unique spawn has been defeated.  :facepalm:
  5. New To PoP

I wouldn't call other mods bad. Its just POP was the first mod I ever played and I got a little spoiled by it. Its better than any other mod I tried after quite easily. Those other mods weren't bad at all, some were quite good but all together the other mods I played don't even equal to 1/5th the time I played POP. I just find POP a lot more interesting.

So lets just say it this way. Some mods are so-so due to being incomplete products or just poorly done. Quite a few are pretty good, some are very good but POP is the only one I played that falls under the great category. It has flaws sure but the pros greatly outweigh the cons.

I haven't tried a lot mods but I have tried a good amount.
  6. CKO Training too weak?

Thats the thing by the point the CKO become truly useful you can easily beat the game or already pretty much have.
  7. [LEGACY] Quick Questions // Quick Answers

darkheart84 said:
    felixng2011 said:
    Brew said:
    TrashMan said:
    Yeah, the game is really strange. Bows outperform crossbows against armor. That shouldn't happen.

There are no really good high-end crossbows or throwing weapons for the player.

I'd either buff plate armor all around, or nerf bows (or better yet normalize their stats)

The mettenhiem arbalest
    there are 2 or 3 player only throwing weapons

The main way bows outperform xbows is down to speed and the way most of the best bows can be used while mounted, the best xbows would be extremly difficult if not impossible to reload while mounted
    I don't think xbows should outperform bows as bows require skill points to enable their use and to improve their use whereas xbows only have a strength requirement
    Xbows can penetrate shields
    Xbows got a sizable buff in current release and have new stronger bolts

If we are to look at it from a realistic point of view the reason xbows where viewed as superior to bows was due to the training that was required to make a good archer while almost anyone can use a xbow

I was surprised at how much better xbows have become. I have power draw 7 on my new character with noldor bow and the mettenheim xbow reloads slower but does comparable if not better damage.

Definitely very viable if you don't want to put points into power draw or want to play an xbow character. Maiden crossbow is pretty decent too for mounted combat.

Well that's starting to sound better. I haven't ever seen one sold by vendors though, not that I recall. Is it dropped by those caravans that are guarded by several mounted maidens?
    Caravans drop them often. The higher the looting skill and the fewer soldiers you have the better the rate. Caravans are easy to beat too.
  8. [LEGACY] Quick Questions // Quick Answers

Brew said:
    TrashMan said:
    Yeah, the game is really strange. Bows outperform crossbows against armor. That shouldn't happen.

There are no really good high-end crossbows or throwing weapons for the player.

I'd either buff plate armor all around, or nerf bows (or better yet normalize their stats)

The mettenhiem arbalest
    there are 2 or 3 player only throwing weapons

The main way bows outperform xbows is down to speed and the way most of the best bows can be used while mounted, the best xbows would be extremly difficult if not impossible to reload while mounted
    I don't think xbows should outperform bows as bows require skill points to enable their use and to improve their use whereas xbows only have a strength requirement
    Xbows can penetrate shields
    Xbows got a sizable buff in current release and have new stronger bolts

If we are to look at it from a realistic point of view the reason xbows where viewed as superior to bows was due to the training that was required to make a good archer while almost anyone can use a xbow

I was surprised at how much better xbows have become. I have power draw 7 on my new character with noldor bow and the mettenheim xbow reloads slower but does comparable if not better damage.

Definitely very viable if you don't want to put points into power draw or want to play an xbow character. Maiden crossbow is pretty decent too for mounted combat.
  9. [LEGACY] Quick Questions // Quick Answers

Alavaria said:
    Ok, so to be a bit more organized about comparing Maiden vs Veccavi, I checked what the tree looks like:

veccmaid.jpg

Veccavia Horse is available much "earlier" than Maiden Cavalry (training a level 10 vs lvl 20) but both of them are pretty squishy units. At least the Veccavia Horse doesn't need you to pay for their little crossbow, though the Maiden Cavalry does seem to have better body armor (they still forget their helmet occasionally)

However, if you get past the level 31/32 breakpoint (which I usually do) then you're looking at comparing Veccavia Knight vs Maiden Adventurer. Highlights:
    • It's easier to train the knight (Train a lvl 10 and 31) then the adventurer (train a 15, 20 and 30)
    • Paying Aventurer for a little crossbow
    • Adventurer has only one melee weapon (the knight can have both a lance and sword)
    • Adventurer has a better horse

Next point is at 35/36 which is pretty endgame. The Queen's Guard isn't looking very great, after all this they still have a pretty squishy horse. The Maiden Noble and Heroine are expensive but both rather good, I'm leaning to the Noble because they are a straight pure melee. The Heroine gets 50% crossbow, 50% Short Composite bow, if you like super horse archers go for the Heroic Adventurer instead, or maybe upgrade Clarion Call...

======================================================================
    ======================================================================

So if I was to be using this tree heavily, I might like using the Veccavia Knights over the Maiden Adventurers, but really the big thing is that if you use Maiden Adventurers/Cavalry and keep adding and adding to them, eventually you get the chance to mass promote into a stack of Maiden Nobles who will own face (power strike 9, heh)

I definitely would prefer to do this only after being able to train level 30 units (Maiden Cavalry) though, trying to push them up via Darwinian methods is a bit annoying (same for the Veccavia Horse) as it feels they get a kill here and there and their survivablity depends most on your Surgery skill, if you get my drift...
    Yea I am going to try for more Maiden Nobles I guess.
  10. Food maintenance is particularly burdensome in this mod?

I have never encountered this problem but I use an int build which is just so powerful.  :mrgreen:

10 in all important int skills while still being an archer beast.  :lol:

And those baggage things you get have 500 food. They are really useful! I have like 10 on me and I never need food.
  11. Noldor equipment is in dire need of a rework - needs a downside for melee

Serazu said:
    1. In the ancient Tolkien world, the Numenoreans could give the Elves a run for their money. And in the third age, the Elves were not stronger than the humans. Those Elves that were still more powerful were the survivors of the first and second ages (Glorfindel etc.). In other fantasy worlds (d&d, wh etc.), the Elves are not superior to humans.

2. The Noldor equipment is top-notch, but not to the point that it makes human equipment irrelevant by comparison. The only significant exception is the Noldor composite bow, but, hey, the bow is THE signature elven weapon. Not even the mighty Spirit Horse. It's stats are godlike, but they are far too high for proper usage on the field. The best horse in the game with stats as high as they should be, perfect attitude on the field and cool looks is the Desert War Horse. A divine choice for a rider, whether a lancer or an archer. The Spirit Horse's extremely high speed causes serious instability issues in horse archery while the NC might be the absolute tank in this game, but it's fairly slow. The DWH presents the absolute package. And of course, in the rule-of-cool department, no horse beats the Ravenstern/Sarleon warhorses. I leave the Demonic Charger out of the equation, since it's meant only for demons (and Wolfbode, alright).
    I am going to take a look at the desert war horses never knew they were so good.
  12. [LEGACY] Quick Questions // Quick Answers

thermocline said:
    Alavaria said:
    Though with the Maiden Cavalry and Adventurer you pay for their crossbow which is... eh... and the Heroine Adventurer sometimes spawns with the crossbow as well (while the Hero Adventurer is 100% Hawkstorm bow). Maiden Nobles are ok, I guess.

Hero Adventurers are 50% Hawkstorm, 25% Short Composite, and 25% Noldor Bow. ...which is awesome. Noldor Bow with 500 proficiency basically means, if you field 20 Hero Adventurers, it's like having 15 normal HAs and 5 Noldor Nobles. Not to mention that HAs now have a ~50% chance to spawn with an ebony sword.

Hero Adventurers were massively buffed in 3.7. From a training perspective, when you consider that a Veccavi Knight is just as difficult to train (coming from a level 31 unit) as a Hero Adventurer, Vecc Knights don't seem overpowered at all, do they?
    Dammit I didn't know that HA got buffed so much. Now I have to mass some.  :lol:

I remember back in the day when you could get ridiculous money as mercenaries for having a large army. I would mass tons of HA due to like 20k income from merc pay.

What about Heroine Adventurers? Seems like Maiden Nobles are flat out better.
  13. [LEGACY] Quick Questions // Quick Answers

Krozzy said:
    felixng2011 said:
    Alavaria said:
    It's almost funny how bad their Veccavia Horse (level 31) are for their cost. Though I suppose once you get companions at level 32+ and can slam Training into it, you have a nice source of horse to spam.

Actually, now that I think about it, their level 10 Veccavia Man Hunter upgrades directly to their heavy archer unit, doesn't it?

Yea they are pretty bad but look at the cost of maiden cavalry and how mediocre they are.

Sure they got ranged weapons but they are pretty weak.

I think the issue is that the Maiden warrior line gets the mercenary tax doesn't it? And the Veccavia line does not? It makes for a clear choice.

I enjoy picking up peasant women and training them, if only to paint the illusion that I am making my troops happier. What could be worse than following a lord around that makes hundreds of thousands of denars, only pays you 50 a week, and your chances of getting killed in the next few months are extremely likely? That, plus sausage fest.  :facepalm: I mean really, if you joined an army of a lord with many times more renown than anyone else, legendary warrior on the battle field, winner of hundreds of tournaments....And the highest seniority dude has only had the job for like 7 weeks...I think some red flags would be thrown.
    Hey sometimes they get lucky due to my 10 surgery and live for a while! :lol:
    Unless I auto calc....
  14. [LEGACY] Quick Questions // Quick Answers

Alavaria said:
    It's almost funny how bad their Veccavia Horse (level 31) are for their cost. Though I suppose once you get companions at level 32+ and can slam Training into it, you have a nice source of horse to spam.

Actually, now that I think about it, their level 10 Veccavia Man Hunter upgrades directly to their heavy archer unit, doesn't it?

Yea they are pretty bad but look at the cost of maiden cavalry and how mediocre they are and horses are really easy to upgrade.

Sure they got ranged weapons but they are pretty weak. When I played this mod a year ago I still massed them though since they were easy to get cavalry. They had far more downsides than these veccavia troops.

And yes they do I don't bother with the archer unit though. Its easy to get good archers, I rather spam quality mounted units but yes you can get a ton of decent archers pretty easily through that method.
  15. [LEGACY] Quick Questions // Quick Answers

Epicrules said:
    felixng2011 said:
    Its crazy

This is exactly what I'm insinuating. However, anything and everything apparently can be justified by citing "listening to the community!!11!1". Which community is being listened to? Beats me.

At the very least make them a tad harder to train. Lorewise it makes no sense. I am fine with another branch. Just make them Maiden Rogue Knights or something....

Make the Veccavia troops mercenaries hirable in taverns(they already are) or heartbeat quests where mercenaries are hirable in your castle (is that still a thing?). Problem solved.

Oh well I am not complaining. They aren't game breaking but pretty powerful and feel out of place.
  16. [LEGACY] Quick Questions // Quick Answers

Epicrules said:
    It's almost like they're troops from an invading country and weren't originally intended to be used by the player...
    Its crazy because they can be trained from peasant women. No reason to go the maiden cavalry route really.
  17. [LEGACY] Quick Questions // Quick Answers

Do you guys think Veccavia Knights are op?

Super easy to train, cost is relatively cheap, super high proficiency and pretty good gear.
  18. Noldor equipment is in dire need of a rework - needs a downside for melee

DeSoto said:
    Edit: Changed the title from "Noldor are in dire need of a rework, they need a downside like any other faction" to the current one, as it seemed to many that I mainly complained about the difficulty in fighting them. But this is really about their best-in-every-slot equipment (rune weapons excluded cause qualis are not readily available).

Let's take a look at what they got currently:

- by far the fastest/most accurate/hardest hitting bows
    - by far the best armor - especially if you factoring in encumbrance
    - by far the fastest/best armoured horses
    - by far the fastest melee weapons that also deal very good damage
    - by far the best shields

That's every single equipment slot. A faction that lives secluded somewhere in the woods apparently has the best war industry in the known world. That's just plain ridiculous.
    Yes I get it, they are a very old civilization and they have all this super-advanced knowledge and all of that LotR lore nonsense. They are still living in the woods and should have no way to compete with say Mettenheim when it comes to armor and melee weapons. Absolutely no way.

Then can pretty much destroy you from across the map already, when you manage to close the distance and get into melee range you should have the upper hand when equipped properly. And we're talking heavy plate here, not that Zelda cosplay armour they are wearing. What's the point in putting in a faction that is the best at everything, what kind of equipment diversity you expect to come out of this? Of course you want the best equipment in the slot - which means that even if you go full melee you will not get around them.
    They can have the best bows and fastest (moderatly armoured!) horses for all I care, but when it comes to damage protection they should not be the first pick. Neither for melee weapons.

So in short:

- keep the bows
    - keep the horses, but reduce their armour by a fair bit (they don't even have any notewhorty visible armour on them, how could they sustain so much damage? Is it the magical pointy ears again?)
    - make the amour less durable overall, helmets/body amour/boots all look like they should be at best at 2/3 to 3/4 of their current values
    - either make the melee weapons slower or make them hit for less
    - the same for shields, either reduce their hitpoints or their resistances

Again, if you manage to close the distance you should be in for a fair fight and not just another uphill battle (their average life is also much higher than that of your troops) . I'm not talking about cheesing them with auto-resolve btw, this is strictly about manual battles where the numbers on both sides are even. And as far as I recall they were like this even before the introduction of CKOs, so they are not made that way to counter those, they are just the undisputed #1. Which in turn makes them completely bland (in a Superman kinda way).

Noldor melee weapons actually arent that great I never even use them. Ebony ones are better, runed bastard swords are waaay better.

Bows are fine like you said, there are actually a few bows that are better even but they are hard to get and can only be gotten by capturing certain special spawns/kings or paying in qualis gems.

Their horses are amazing yes but I prefer netherworld chargers actually on everyone but my personal character.

Unless you are fighting on foot weight barely matters. There are armors that give similar values but yes they are heavier for the most part (there are some exceptions).

There are actually shields that are equivalent or even better actually I think its called Ancient engraved something.
  19. [LEGACY] Quick Questions // Quick Answers

Alavaria said:
    Spawning with a massive lance and a little crossbow isn't really much of an improvement in sieges...
    Do Heroine Adventurers not get bows anymore or only the maiden crossbow?
Back
Top Bottom