Are not there A BIT (a lot) of women in the game? And they are playing a lot of "man" roles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@stevehoos I'm going to be an ******* and demand to know where you're getting your information from, what books or journals you have read that make you so confident to talk about this stuff, and what your educational background is. you have spent the last 5 pages talking like an authority on medieval gender politics whereas almost everything you're saying is completely wrong.

If you just ignore me like last time I'm going to assume you have no idea what you're talking about and we can both move on.

@stevehoos I'm going to be an ******* and demand to know where you're getting your information from, what books or journals you have read that make you so confident to talk about this stuff, and what your educational background is. you have spent the last 5 pages talking like an authority on medieval gender politics whereas almost everything you're saying is completely wrong.

If you just ignore me like last time I'm going to assume you have no idea what you're talking about and we can both move on.

I don't have to assume you know anything about what you are talking about, it's quite obvious you don't. I can tell by your responses that you are not into debating historical facts.

Sikelgaita was near 50 years old at this time in history, she did not charge into battle at any point in the Battle of Dyrrhachium or on any other campaign. More often, the women who lead sections of armies did not wear armor and probably weren't present on the field of battle itself, but were close by. This is an historical fact. I know it's hard.

"Matilda of Tuscany, along with her mother Beatrice of Lorraine, Adelaide of Susa, Matilda I Queen of England, the Empress Matilda, Matilda II Queen of England, Aethelflaeda, Jeanne de Penthievre and probably many others I'm not aware of, fall into this category. Though they may have ruled their domains with an iron fist, dictated strategy, ordered specific attacks and how they should be carried out, etc, they were not present for the actual carrying out of their orders and delegated this to trusted commanders."

So take a deep breath and relax.

"Women in Medieval Armies", Journal of Medieval Military History, Volume 4, J.F. Verbruggem

The Art of Warfare in Western Europe During the Middle Ages, by J.F. Verbruggen

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with having 'too many females', this thread has gone out of hand, it's being locked.

Also, even just the abstract of the journal you linked disagrees with you:
A number of women followed armies in the Middle Ages to supply the soldiers, and to support them by washing their clothes and caring for their wounds. Some women fought with the soldiers. Others accompanied their spouse or a friend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom