Find the spy quest is counter intuitive, can you guess on your own?

Users who are viewing this thread

The quest where one of the arena contenders in town is a spy. Can you just guess and win or will it always fail until you have 3 clues from town folk?
My clues where no beard, hair, sword. Two fit this but I chose the one that didn't have warpaint as I would think this would have stood out to the NPCs...... NOPE it was the warpaint guy! If I have to save scum it becomes easier to just guess from the start, but will it work?

In the early release of the game you could guess and succeed. The first time I did it, I didn't fully read the quest and just challenged the first contender I saw and got lucky. No idea if it got changed.

In the early release of the game you could guess and succeed. The first time I did it, I didn't fully read the quest and just challenged the first contender I saw and got lucky. No idea if it got changed.
Same for me first time. Lucky guess, I guess. :wink: I didn't realise how many choices there were although I did collect all the evidence. Second time I blew it. After that I continued to collect all evidence and started using the reveal location button. On close inspection all the candidates (4) fail the collective description except for one.

The clues work fine. You just got it wrong.

I do this quest all the time, the only time I got it wrong was because I failed to notice the guy had axe instead of sword.

Actually on beta 1.4.2 branch, after gathering needed information (beard, hair, sword, scar), 3 suspects are marked by blue exclamation mark and it is no chance to fail because only one of them is matching :smile:

Yep, You just have to walk around the city and check those three blue marks, one of guys has beard, 2nd sword and 3rd one scar on eye for example. Now its fast quest :smile:

Actually on beta 1.4.2 branch, after gathering needed information (beard, hair, sword, scar), 3 suspects are marked by blue exclamation mark and it is no chance to fail because only one of them is matching :smile:

The exclamation point may make them easier to spot in the city, but they were all listed as contenders when alt was pressed... just slightly harder to see in the distance. Is it just the exclamation point added?

When leaving the tavern, always have exact 3 various contenders (in 1.4.2 they also called serious/not serious contenders). And if you gained all infos about beard/sword/scar/hair before, there is no option to miss or fail because only one will fit the description :smile:

When leaving the tavern, always have exact 3 various contenders. And if you gained all infos about beard/sword/scar/hair before, there is no option to miss or fail because only one will fit the description :smile:

I understand that, just curious if it's just the exclamation point that was added in 1.4.2 or if there was any other change to the quest.

As it is, it's easy enough to find them on the map... they are near the thugs. I have had them occasionally not match the description but they do most of the time.

There's no way after collecting all three evidences to be 2 possible candidates.
It's a simple formula.

4 guys with 3 traits each out of 4 possible traits. let's call them A, B, C and D

GUY1 has traits A, B and C.
GUY2 has traits A, B and D.
GUY3 - A, C and D
GUY4 - B, C and D

The simple way is to remember which 1 trait is left out and choose the 1 guy without it. It's either Hair, Beard, Sword or Scar (Which is in fact Warpaint, not scar).

So, there's NO way for them to be 2 possible candidates.

Its a simpler version of that old boardgame Mastermind. That said, if you're unlucky, like I was, that's not readily apparent. The very first person I spoke to said "stop talking to all these people, you'll scare away the spy.' So I said, ok, I know what kind of quest this is - I stomp around and look for Suspicious NPC like in Warband. So I find the first guy who isnt Townsperson, and the dialog says "I think I've found my guy" but instead of murdering him in the street we do it in the arena all legal like...

And I kill the wrong guy. Everyone is angry, I think I even picked up Cruel.

Its not a well implemented quest. It is achievable, but like a lot of the quests more of a grind than the payoff is worth.

They won't say the bald guy is bald, they won't mention scars or paint for the guy that does, and if he doesn't have a beard they won't say that. However if he does have hair, beard or has an unblemished face they will tell you that. It took me a bit to figure that out.

The quest where one of the arena contenders in town is a spy. Can you just guess and win or will it always fail until you have 3 clues from town folk?
My clues where no beard, hair, sword. Two fit this but I chose the one that didn't have warpaint as I would think this would have stood out to the NPCs...... NOPE it was the warpaint guy! If I have to save scum it becomes easier to just guess from the start, but will it work?
I think you missed the clue about middle aged - which the guy with warpaint was and the other not

KT

I think you missed the clue about middle aged - which the guy with warpaint was and the other not

KT
This is true actually. But in the quest update it said just about his hair and not his age, although the NPC's dialogue did mention his age.
Unless you're saying there's 4 clues you can get? But to be honest BL char models can make the younger man look middle age'd too, so I felt that very unreliable.

Last edited:
The very first person I spoke to said "stop talking to all these people, you'll scare away the spy.' So I said, ok, I know what kind of quest this is - I stomp around and look for Suspicious NPC like in Warband. So I find the first guy who isnt Townsperson, and the dialog says "I think I've found my guy" but instead of murdering him in the street we do it in the arena all legal like...

And I kill the wrong guy. Everyone is angry, I think I even picked up Cruel.
Your mistake was the same as almost everyone did the first time. But in fact it's a super easy quest. The text about "hurry up or he will go" is just there for the tension (at least in current variation. Maybe they will add something later where your charm determines if you can get answers from people straight away, or no.)

At the moment you just need to talk to everyone and get 3 clues. (For me it usually takes 8-10 persons to collect all 3 clues).

After 3 clues there is NO WAY that you can miss the guy as there's always only ONE that matches the description.

Yeah, but it seems this is just random chatter and you can talk to as many as you like after all.....

It is random, I just had the poor luck to hit it on the first try - bad design. I tried the same quest in a different playthrough, and the first person I talked to did not admonish me, but gave me clues. After that it was a simple logic puzzle.

This is true actually. But in the quest update it said just about his hair and not his age, although the NPC's dialogue did mention his age.
Unless you're saying there's 4 clues you can get? But to be honest BL char models can make the younger man look middle age'd too, so I felt that very unreliable.
True about the BL models, and I run it on very low cos it's an old laptop...maybe I got lucky and guessed the correct age haha - Not done that quest since

Back
Top Bottom