Recent content by Tannith

1. Tannith

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 13 - Weekending

Hi, Meevar

That Sassanid lance looks more like a javelin to me, and I doubt the accuracy of the portrayal: pure artistic fancy to my eye and experience. Stirrups are essential in maintaining balance when any kind of pushing or shoving is done from horseback. And this is where I will absolutely have to pull out the (regrettable but necessary) "Unless you've tried it..." I've played polo, polocrosse, and have competed in equestrian skill-at-arms, including quintain tilt. So I'm not coming at this from a theoretical position; I'm speaking from practical "Oww, that hurt!" experience  :oops:

Even a "light" touch to a spinning target, as in quintain tilt, results in your feeling a hard shove. The horse is galloping, so that "light" touch isn't anything of the sort. When you use a lance, tip-direction dependant, your foot opposite to the direction of the thrust is the foot that pushes down in the stirrup, to counter the shove from that lance making violent contact with whatever target. Without that counter, you get knocked right off the horse. I've seen plenty of people get knocked off even though they were using stirrups, but didn't apply counter-pressure at the right moment.

Leg strength makes no difference; how fit a person is makes no difference. When you're moving at ~45km/hour, a simple high-five will knock you flying, because that high-five just turned into a punch from ol' Vlad Klitschko.
  2. Tannith

@Cherac-- dude, thanks, and you're funny. No PMs. I don't do PMs. Whatever I say, and whatever anyone has to say to me, gets said here, in public, and then there's none of that he-said-she-said-they-said nonsense.

PS: that's really crappy modeling, just btw. I whacked it together to prove a point.

3. Tannith

Re: the stirrups discussion

Pics under the spoiler--

Stirrups_for_Warband.jpg

Stirrups_for_Warband_with_rider_side.jpg

Stirrups_for_Warband_with_rider_front_oblique.jpg

That's a really low-poly model. The stirrup irons and leathers are about 128 faces. In the 2nd and 3rd pictures you can see how I rotated the stirrup iron and part of the leather to align with the rider's foot. When the rider's on the horse, the stirrup models would be parented to the rider's legs, not the saddle, and would therefore move with the rider through any animations.

(no-one must tell me that "This is hard to do!" because I modeled this from scratch, and also cooked dinner, dispensed financial advice over the phone, and ate dinner, and then got back to a modeling job that took about 45 minutes [and I'm a rank amateur at this stuff]).
  4. Tannith

Do not look here said:
    This is my go-to article about stirrups http://www.classicalfencing.com/articles/shock.php

About the stirrups and Bannerlord - well, I'm not really sure. They'd have to look natural and not just stick out of horse's sides, don't look weird on riderless horses and generally sound like more hassle than it is worth it. I think I'm fine with pretending they are there instead :razz:

I'm doing some very hasty 3D modeling to show how easy it would be to do stirrups in Warband, both the unmounted view and when the rider is in the saddle. No promises, because I usually start out "hasty" with Blender, and then get into must-just-add-a-BIT-of-detail, and then... Yeah. "Hasty" flies out the window. *cough*
  5. Tannith

Wow. Discussion of stirrups is clearly by non-riding people. And people who have never competed in equestrian skill-at-arms. Just try to use even a light tent-pegging lance, without stirrups. And try to lemon-stick with a saber, leaning out of the saddle, without stirrups. Go on, try. Then cry, when you fall on your head (and the horse forgets that it can leap a six-foot fence, and tramples you). Lots of crying will happen, with no stirrups.

Warband's lack of stirrups is something I've learnt to pretend is not important. The game's all that matters, yup. Never mind the reality: it's impossible to couch a lance without stirrups.
  6. Tannith

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 12 - The Passage Of Time

Oy. I just watched the PC Gamer demo. It took me a while to stop grinning at the monitor like a mooncalf.

1) Everything = ooh shiny
    2) Can I haz it now?
    3) But will my PC be able to handle it? AKA, minimum system requirements, anyone?
    4) I might (if my PC can handle the game) just use pointy-poky blades and spears because the thrust mechanic no longer seems atrocious
    5) I firmly suspect that (if my PC can handle it) Bannerlord will be a game best described as a jealous god, for a very long time.

...after all, I still play Warband every day.
  7. Tannith

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 11 - Some Context

Haven't even watched the vids yet. Life's involved tons of suckage here, but reading that dev blog made me do chair dances and grin so hard my face is sore. I haven't felt as good about anything in ages. You're awesome, all of you. Just keep going. And thank you.

Edit: watched video = OMG. and WOW. and *chairdances* Language skills momentarily offline...
  8. Tannith

Lvl 51 - But how to spend Attribute points?

My cat is currently a Burmese dressed up as the devil, complete with horns. Not an inaccurate description of me, actually...  :razz:
  9. Tannith

3ntropy775 said:
    EDIT: Either I'm hallucinating or something, but some profile pictures (including mine) has rotating cat pictures??

Nevermind. http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,222648.330.html Happy April Fools!

:oops: :oops: :oops:
  10. Tannith

I don't play MP as I have a Neotel 3G wannabe-internet connection (I take my PC to a friend's place to DL anything 1gig+).

Re: cats-- I think the site's been hacked...

*goes to contact a mod*
  11. Tannith

3ntropy775 said:
    Interesting to see other fellow South-Africans on here, thought I was just about the only one :grin: Coincidentally fellow Shark supporters too. I'm impressed...

I got my neighbour hooked on this game recently, and he has lots of friends who are apparently sick and tired of the MP scene in games like Battlefield and ARMA. So at some stage we may see more South Africans here, and those guys are all Sharks supporters.

---

To Germanic Celt-- welcome, and see ya round here sometime.
  12. Tannith

Germanic Celt said:
    Good, another Sharks supporter (despite that I'm from Gauteng, I still support the Sharks)

Everyone says the same thing; every country has problems. The problem with this is that some countries' problems are much more extreme than others. I understand that SA is a beautiful country, I've been to some lovely parts of it. However, I can't take the heat and the filth (as in the litter), plus South Africa's biomes don't suit me so much. They're beautiful, that's undeniable. The problem is that many other countries also have different types of nature, that's also beautiful. The difference is some of those countries aren't as troubled as SA.

Re: rugby--  :grin:

Re: emigration-- I'd never argue against someone else leaving. It's a very understandable choice. But it should also be an informed choice, which yours seems to be-- I don't think you'll be one of those people who just packs and goes anywhere-but-here.

Will offer this much:
    ~ forget the existence of Australia and likewise the UK, USA, and most of Europe;
    ~ don't bother with NZ unless you've got a gets-an-instant-job degree and a helluva lot of capital to back it up. If you have both then NZ is a very good place to go;
    ~ don't fall into the backpacking trap-- what little you earn will mostly be cash and illegal, and you'll spend it all just to go to the next place;
    ~ another (bad!) trap is any contract work anywhere in the Baltics and Russia, and in the UAE and Saudi.

Canada's a good option, but look to BC, on the west coast, where the winters aren't too extreme. If you don't mind learning another language, and have an electrical, engineering, pharm, chem, or med qual, there are several South American countries to consider as places to start earning way more than you can here. Save a nest egg, and go wherever you like after that.

I wish you tons of luck. Sincerely.
  13. Tannith

Germanic Celt said:
    Ah, so you are actually good for this country? I used to have faith like you, but then I put the state of the nation on TV. Anyway, I plan to emigrate when I'm older, although the whereabouts of my destination I'm uncertain of.

Zulu your first language as a whitey? What province are you from?

From KZN, lifelong Banana Girl, proud Sharks supporter (but can they please get their game together naow? Please!).

I dunno that I'm "good for the country", and I don't have faith so much as hope.

When I'm stuck, I tough it out and make the best of it, and it seems that I'm stuck here. Even if I had opportunity to go elsewhere, I don't think that I would. I've been around, spent time in other countries, and the absolute, never to be doubted truth is this: every single country has their problems. I don't like the idea of trading problems for other problems. What we have here is a great deal of beauty that's to be found nowhere else. When I get sick of politics, I look at gorgeous pictures of this country. That may seem escapist and childish, but it's something that keeps the depression monkey in its cage (mostly).
  14. Tannith

Germanic Celt said:
    We should call them Eksdom from now on. Luckily, Eksdom's blackouts have stopped the university students from tearing down the statue of Rhodes, because "eet was too dak".

Die ANC stel nie belang nie in die feit dat ons geen krag het nie. They almost support it (sorry, my Afrikaans isn't perfect, haven't learnt it properly yet).

I know what you mean, it's really frustrating when you've made progress but forgot to save when the power goes out.

Ag, the Rhodes thing is mostly EFF's typical BS. At least they're good for *lots* of laughs (the SONA farce, anyone? I made popcorn and I was not disappointed). And actually, the ANC's taking note of the power problems more even than the DA, because they know damn well that regular load-shedding loses them votes and practically gifts other parties with those votes. Two things won the EFF the seats they have: load-shedding and to a lesser extent Nkandla.

Seriously: I love this place, I love the people, and I want us all to win. To do that we have to all stop looking over our shoulders and start working on *today*. Knocking over a very dead CJ Rhodes won't help. Blaming everything on apartheid won't help. If we want a brighter future (pun intended), we have to focus on fixing the fixable things today. Eksdom is fixable, but not when you have a bunch of a-holes spending half a planning meeting arguing over whether Van Riebeek is the one responsible for that cracked silo. Goddammit.

As for die Taal,, it's not my first language. That would be Zulu, even though I'm a whitey. Fun times in the country with 11 official languages. :grin:
  15. Tannith

Germanic Celt said:
    Heh, blackouts is a euphemism for SA's load shedding wouldn't you say (I'm also from South Africa)?

Like the joke goes, "blackouts" is now politically incorrect. We must now refer to "previously lit areas."

But the best one goes like this:

"Eskom has made an announcement:

Eish, we have good news and bed news.

The bed news is thet weeth thees powa seetuayshun, the sheet is going to heet the fen.

The good news is thet the fen is not going to be wekking."

Eskom is in sy moer in, en lag of huil is al wat oor is. Ek kies om te lag... maar ek vloek lekker as die vokken krag uit gaan terweil ek M&B:W speel.
Back
Top Bottom