Recent content by Taal

1. Taal

TLD (The Last Days, LOTR mod) for M&B 1.011 Info

Sp00nlord said:
    GetAssista said:
    Sp00nlord said:
    An option to be able to ask any faction party where their commanders are would be helpful.
    Faction parties might not know this stuff themselves, logically. We were thinking about how to add credible info gathering, there are some ideas waiting for our free time, yes.

Guess it's the old gameplay vs. realism issue, makes sense that not all parties would know this info, but then again the commanders somehow do. I have all faith you guys will come up with some cool solution eventually though.

You could have a specific guard in town that represents the scouting parties: a scout for Rohan; a ranger for Lothlorien; so on. Conversation with the NPC has the option of asking where a specific Lord is and it would give a general location. Rough examples would be:

Question:
    "Have you seen X of Rohan?"
    "Where walks the men of X of Gondor
    "Where does the flag of X stand of late"     

Answer             
    "My party passed the horse lord no less then one moon ago. He enters the land of Gondor through paths to Minis Tirith."
    "(If too far away) I fear I have not seen the lord, or heard from his men, in the passing days. Of last he marched in the south of Mirkwood."
    "(Of another faction) I do not know well of who you speak, but I hear legends of his deeds in the northern lands".
    "(Fun with racial tensions) I have not seen him, nor would I expect to, for he is so close to the ground my glance would fall over his head."
    "I hear news that the host of X is on the march into the realm of Minus Morgul. With the passage of time his feet should tread upon the soil outside the city by now"

Normal Scouting parties could also have this, although you could limit it to the surrounding area of the unit and nearby towns. The idea would be that if you were looking for someone you would have to follow the general areas that people last saw him in until you find a parties close enough to give you a specific location. For both Scout parties and the town guard there could also be a general, "What is happening in these lands" request which lists the movement of generals and enemies in the surrounding area and towns.
    Example:
    "There are war parties moving to the east. Tread lightly in the south the scouts of the enemy. The horn of the hosts of X have been heard within hearing of Osgliath...."
  2. Taal

B Fantasy [WB] GRIM AGE - Skirmish MOD is CLOSED

You could change the block animation to a swipe and instance damage within a certain range in front of the player. Although it would only be one type of attack, which probably wouldn't be blockable and I'm not sure if you can have a separate animation for real shields.
  3. Taal

SP Other Realm of freedom(自由王国). for M&B Warband 1.143

G'day Yukimura_Sanada,

In this circumstance it's a matter of focus. This mod's focus is mostly changes to UI (User Interface). As a result of this it gives a number of changes and features unique to UI modding. An example of this is 'Battle settings panel'.

The majority of mods maintain a focus of 3d modelling, texturing and changes to game play through coding. As a result of this you get mods which add a large amount of new weapons and armour, buildings and changes such as formations.

The notion that one focus is better over the other is subjective, however the reason for the difference in focus is quite simple. Adding items into the game is an  obvious way to change game play. If you like Mount and Blade but you want a samurai mod, the first thing someone does is add the in-game items to that effect, not adjust the in-game UI.

That being said, one should not fall into the fallacy of attributing the actions of one to the many. As a member of this community for a long time it seems to me that the amount of purely graphical mods is about equal for every racial distinction. I believe it the case that this single person, no matter the race, has decided to make changes to the UI. This could be a result of his experience in modding other games, experience in UI creation, or just a natural unique approach to problems.

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask  :smile:
  4. Taal

Recommended mods to go with TPW

G'day Tenerife_boy,

Yes the battle size changer is save compatible. It merely changes an Innit.txt setting.

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask :smile:
  5. Taal

SP Fantasy [WB] A Game of Thrones

You could slow down all parties walk times to better reflect it, instead of making the map bigger. The problem with that, or any similar large map, is setting it up with enough parties and locations so it doesn't feel completely desolate. I do think that giving the allusion of size adds to the game play though. Such as in The Last Days where travelling north to see the elves could mean the complete destruction of Gondor or Rohan in the time you'll be gone.
  6. Taal

Warband download for Hegemony

G'day Vercors,

I appreciate the time you took to troll this thread.

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask  :smile:
  7. Taal

Warband download for Hegemony

G'day Colbxious,

I understand that the subsection is a bit messy and hard to understand at first. Unfortunately there is no version for Warband as it is still getting made.

Thanks for your question, if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask  :smile:
  8. Taal

The Last Days v2.4 (for .808) ---Next Release Date Unknown!

The only way I think to set up ambush's in the battle map so that the ambush would actually mean something is for the battle maps to be pre-made (to suit the surrounding area) and the parties spawn at predetermined spots (The ambushing party starts surrounding the other). Or the ambushed party start split into small disjointed groups. Or a temporary tactics skill decrease for the battle. If there is a morale system, the battle could start with morale much lower then normal levels for an encouraged rout. That's all I'm coming up with.

Also, I'm guessing you guys fixed your lack of in-game conversations problem. I offered to help out but no one acknowledged my offer/examples.
  9. Taal

+++ Important Announcement on 268 B.C. +++

G'day Gaius Julius,

No I am not part of the team, however I have worked on large mods and it is the style I use. Personally I don't publicly release information about my mods until it is at least at beta standard for precisely these situations. While some intimate decisions are the modders personal choice and I am not privy to the details, it is important to realise: The mods use the same or similar map; The same or similar towns; Similar weaponry with troops similarly fitted and similar tactics. In addition to this you see a reduction of the factions to a feasible 6. Albeit in a different time zone, what this does allow, as discussed before, is an open playground to safely experiment with balance, ideas, scripts and theories saving those experiments from being carried out in the main game, which as you stated, has a lot of fans and could threaten to disappoint them.

While I understand how the fans have waited, and how arduous that wait must have been, how about picking up some books or Wings3d and contributing to either parent, or child mod.

I hope this answers your question. As always, If you have any other questions let me know :smile:
  10. Taal

+++ Important Announcement on 268 B.C. +++

G'day Tsubodai. Great question and while I am not the Mod creator I'm happy to explain exactly why.

Firstly it is important to realise how big the task of creating this mod is. It is not merely a add-on to the original game but a total conversion. What this means is that we can't compare this mod to others in the community. This mod will require: Adding damage attributes to every weapon so that it creates a logical balanced arrangement; Adding attributes to armour so that it represents a logical arrangement; Equipping every troop so that it is historically accurate; Determining the number of troops in each individual party; The balance of individual solidiers; The balance of combination of troops; The balance of nations; The balance of combinations of nations; The stats of troops. etc..

This is merely part of the task that this mod is undertaking. It is important to note that all these aspects are intimately related, a small change to one troop, as small as a change in damage value to a sword, can destroy the balance of every one of those aspects. Add to this that balance is not simple in Mount & Blade. We want swords men to be balanced to other swords men, but we want the same swords men to be balanced to spear men in a distinctly different way and we want this not in a group basis (like the total war series) but in an individual level.

It is important to note that due to the complexity of this task, as content is added the difficulty does not increase steadily but exponentially. If you have 2 factions, you have to deal with 1 lot of balance (the above task) to worry about. 3 factions and you have 3 lots, 4 factions and you have 6, 5 factions and you have 10. Now just think that this mod has 24 factions. 24!. In comparison, vanilla Mount & Blade has 6 and it some would argue that the balance of the game is broken. Which leads to the last (in this simplistic response) aspect, the mod needs to be fun. That is the biggest pressure. If the game isn't fun then the game is worth nothing, and all the work goes to waste.

So let's look at why we want to tackle this in smaller, minor beta mods. Instead of taking on the task above, lets focus on one faction, say Scythia Minor. We set up the scenes, we fill in the NPC's, we do the fluff, we add the weapons and Armour, and we throw in some spawn points for the surrounding nations. In this smaller environment we can acutely focus on the balance, and the interaction between the parties. We can set up region specific quests, fill in the scripts and make this region come alive. Finally, and here is the important bit,  we can focus on making this region fun! Move on to the next region, the next faction, and make that fun. It is an exercise in starting small and expanding slowly.

The important point here is "Rome wasn't built in a day". Cities aren't made all at once. It starts as a small area, a small population, until the space is filled to a living standard and then it sprawls, growing from the small and turning agglutinatively into something great. Agglutinative is the key word.

I hope this answers your question. It is a tactic to create a large mod by starting with something small, balanced and fun and adding slowly and carefully into something great.

If you have any other questions let me know  :grin:
  11. Taal

SP Fantasy [WB] Game of Thrones - Official Thread

bilwit said:
    Taal said:
    Looks like you could use a modeller to make some of those models closer to the reference material Bilwit.
    Such as Vale Heavy Infantry, The Hound.

An entire mod team would be nice too, but alas, we can't have everything we want/need now can we?

What happened to that nice little mod team list on the first post?
  12. Taal

SP Fantasy [WB] Game of Thrones - Official Thread

Looks like you could use a modeller to make some of those models closer to the reference material Bilwit.
    Such as Vale Heavy Infantry, The Hound.
  13. Taal

TLD (The Last Days, LOTR mod) for M&B 1.011 Evil men troops preview

A few of those models and textures seem to be of lower quality then I expected. Were the graphics settings just turned down? Perhaps the new graphics options of Warband have warped my memory of 1.011 graphics.
  14. Taal

Actor amount

You got a tad ambitious with your answer there jik :razz:

Good to see you back on taleworlds BTW.
  15. Taal

Mount & Blade Writing Competition

I disagree with everyone.
    I think another key is damn fitting. Gives me something to give to my mate for his birthday without it costing me a cent. As for everyone complaining about the prize, don't enter, it's that simple. The prize, and details of this competition was never up for contention, atleast not with insignificant forum dwellers.  Either enter the competition, or quit the "Zomg someone put some actual effort into a really good idea that cant advantage me!" Crap and get out of this thread.

You'll be getting my entry shortly.
Back
Top Bottom