Recent content by SMST

1. SMST

Dev Blog 05/07/18

SE4 R@1DER said:
    Would you mind explaining what all these symbols next to the name of the town mean?

Also isn't Syronea next to a lake?

http://mountandblade.wikia.com/wiki/Calradia?file=Bannerlord_Map.png

I think you can sorta make sense of the shot if you're assuming you're looking upon the city from the lake in a south-western direction.

Seriously, though, I need that redone map. Stop teasing us with blog titles like "Campaign Map, Part 1.
  2. SMST

Main Thread - 3.0 released!

Is there any way to re-upload the World Map? It doesn't seem to work on the first page ...
  3. SMST

About Monarchy.

Jhessail said:
    The point about being above daily politics, being sort of a moral leader, is spot on. The same spot is taken by a President in those countries where the Prime Minister runs the government, like Germany or Finland, and while it could be argued that it is just as unnecessary relic as a monarchy, it can be useful at times. The Spanish example is of course off the charts and comparable events are extremely rare in Europe, but it's often helpful to have a uniting figure in society. As long as dissent is allowed.

If that'd work, that'll be great. :razz: Germany in the last decade had a very bland and uninspiring line of presidents. Gauck is probably the best of the lot, but in general, the German Federal President is not really a important political figure in the public mind.
  4. SMST

Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 7 - Imperial Declines

If anyone in Bannerlord wants a republic, it should be something along the lines of the Roman noble oligarchy or the Medieval Free Cities' merchant oligarchy. Anything democratic would seem to be a major anachronism, at least to me.
  5. SMST

UK Election 2015 Poll, Vote Here!

It's rather interesting that anyone outside Germany would even bother to acknowledge the possibility of Bavarian indepedence when even in Bavaria, there are only a fraction of people who are any degree of serious about it.

I'd really worry more about Bavarians wanting the Sudetenland back.
  6. SMST

SP Fantasy (Game of Thrones) A Clash of Kings (7.0 released 13th of May, 2019)

Hello,

as much as I love the setting and the concept of this mod, I cannot seem to get past the char creation. Everytime I try, the game gives me a runtime error and sends me back to desktop. Is this a known problem or does my PC just suck?
  7. SMST

MP Antiquity Bello Civili - The Roman Civil War [Bello Civili: Egypt released!]

Just a heads up: The title of your mod obviously refers to Caesars "Commentarii de bello civili" (Commentaries on the Civil War). The words "Bello civili" are in the ablative case and don't make much sense standing alone. You should either keep the preposition "de" and name it "De bello civili" (On/About the Civil War), or put the two words in the nominative case - which would be "Bellum civile" - so they can stand alone.
  8. SMST

Women.. I don't even..

I think the distribution of social roles in Prehistoric times is quite unlikely to have an influence on gender roles in the 21st century.
  9. SMST

Is Mythology the turth disguised as a Tale? or a Tale to disguise a Turth?

ancalimon said:
    Turanian is a term like European. It's used for people that are mostly originating from Central Asia + it's surroundings. Their language is or was a lot like Turkic. They are mostly agglutinative.

"European" is therefore a term used for people originating in Europe? Sheesh. Even if you might use the word in that context, this usage would disqualify it in any discussion about language or history, because the people that live in Europe today did most certainly not originate there. In fact, all you did by posting this was proving that your term "Turanian" is most generalized, undefined and non-suitable for use in this discussion as it lacks a firm definition, by juxtaposing it to a term that is equally all of the above. Congratiolations.

The reason it's not accepted as a general term is completely political and religious. Because this group of people would be a very strong force if they somehow formed a power. (which is not actually possible because when two Turks come together, there soon will be fighting). It's the biggest nightmare of Russians. And Europeans certainly do not want something like that because if something like that happens, the Turks are likely to once again invade Europe with high chance of success.

Should I be trembling at the might of the Most Awesome Turanian Empire that would conquer the world if not for the conspiracy that prevents the Great and Ancient Turanian People from having a common national identity?

So while Turks living Germany might be called European to some extend,  Indo-Europeans living in Turan in the past can no longer be called Turanian.

As Wiki tells me, there IS a region called Turan in Central Asia, though the term seems to be largely mythical. If anyone could locate it, people living there would be, by the rules of English ethno- and toponyms, actually the only ones to be justly called Turanians.

And please do comment on my edit.

Oh, and I might as well give you something more to ramble about:

Do the Illuminati have a place in your worldview? Or did you ramble about them some hundred pages earlier and I didn't notice.

(I am anxious to know if you bear any semblance of their actual historical context.)
  10. SMST

ancalimon said:
    He means there are no other people living in Asia that are Turanian apart from the Turks.  That's easy to understand for someone with a bit of knowledge. Of course an Ord. Prof doesn't think trivial and doesn't feel that it's necessary to explain this.

The other Turanian people are some of the Bulgars and Slavs (most of them are no longer aware, or the Muslim ones were deported to Turkey), some of the Italians (through Etruscans), Hungarians, some of the Scandinavians, Mongolians, half of Iranians (Turks), some of Middle Easterners (Turks), many among Russians (Turks), some of the Ukranians, and possibly (no proof) Tibetans and Japanese.

So it's perfectly possible to find connections between Sumerians and these people. But the connection is never as strong as the Turkic one.

So the deduction goes like this: "Sumerians were Turanians. The only Turanians in Asia were Turks. Therefore, Sumerians were Turks."? I see. Apart from this method of deduction being at least logically dubious in general, this statement does assume that "Turanian" is an universally agreed category, while it is most certainly not. Thus, "Turanian", having no defined meaning, can be used to refer to anything and anyone, tailored in this case to the agenda of someone who wants to connect Turks and Sumerians. As long as "Turanian" is not properly defined (and the legitimacy of the use of that term according to said definition is supported by fact and not merely a claim), this deduction means nothing at all.

Thanks for implicating that I am an uneducated moron, by the way! :p

EDIT:
    Oh, and I might as well give you something more to ramble about:

Do the Illuminati have a place in your worldview? Or did you ramble about them some hundred pages earlier and I didn't notice.

(I am anxious to know if you bear any semblance of their actual historical context.)
  11. SMST

Monarchy vs. Republic

rebelsquirrell said:
    Long live whoever the last Stuart guy is.

JACOBITES BFF4EVAR!!!!

According to Wikipedia, the heir to the House of Stuart is Franz of Bavaria. Weißwürscht' und Lederhosn für alle!  :razz:
  12. SMST

One day, I shall learn Turkish. Mainly because it might help me in my aspired job, but being able to comment on the meddling that Ancalimon does with the actual language will be a nice bonus.:grin:
  13. SMST

Studiying in: France or Germany?

Go to Strasbourg/Straßburg and have both. :grin:
  14. SMST

Yet another Israeli racism scandal.

Pillock said:
    Clearly, only America does that. After all, we invented it.

So Locke and Montesquieu were the ultimate hipster Americans? You know, being American before it was cool or actually in existence ...
Back
Top Bottom