Recent content by Riothamus

1. Riothamus

Will With Fire and Sword be available on Steam?

Cool, thanks.  Looking forward to this.
  2. Riothamus

Will With Fire and Sword be available on Steam?

As the title says.  I haven't seen anything on a pre-order like they did with Warband.
  3. Riothamus

Mount&Blade Version 0.955 is Released!

moriarty6 said:
    Tinan said:
    Best of all, M&B now once again works under Wine for Linux users!

Yay!!!  :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Having been limited to version .894 up until now, the difference between that and what we have now is truly phenomenal! Thanks to Armagan and all the devs for making this possible for Linux users, in addition to all the very hard work which has obviously gone in to making this a great game!

Anyone else successfully gotten .950 to work under Wine?  I can get to the splash screen and configure but the game won't actually start, just a white screen.  FTR, I'm using an ATI x1950Pro under Ubuntu Hardy Heron with the latest Wine release.

Still very excited about this.  Can't wait to see the new features.    :eek:

I've gotten it to work with Wine under Hardy as well (using 0.9.60).  However, in the custom battles my mouse tends to lock itself to only about 180 degrees of free movement.  I have to hit the escape key to go to a menu then back again for it to allow full movement again, but that only lasts for about 5 minutes and I have to jump back and forth between the menu again.

Oh, I'm also using an Nvidia card.  Framerates are quite acceptable.
  4. Riothamus

Version 0.901 Bug List

Boosh said:
    Archers, crossbowmen, and Javelin-throwers are still using their missiles against dead bodies. I can't get them to stop firing at the bodies, so by the time the enemy reinforcements have arrived my archers are all out of arrows.

I've seen this numerous times myself.  Most often it happens in the Arenas.  Bodies will be on the ground and the archers will ignore the live enemies and just keep firing at the "unconscious" ones.
  5. Riothamus

Version 0.901 Bug List

Found 2 things so far.  This is on a clean install of .901.

1.  When I was helping out a Khergit village that was infested with 33 bandits (don't remember which one, sorry) I found that one of the horsebacked bandits' horse was stuck in a wall behind one of the houses.  He tried to make it move, then I saw him dismount, after which he disappeared.  My army and I wasted the rest of the enemies, only to find that the battle wasn't over.  One of my colleagues ran up to the back of the house and started swinging at the wall repeatedly until he killed the bandit that was stuck behind the wall.

2.  After I completed a quest that brought 6 sacks of wheat to the Nord village of Ambear.  After the completion, I spoke to the village elder and he referred to Ambean as "The village of Poor..."  I believe that the village's name was being pulled from its status and not its actual name.
  6. Riothamus

For Sword Lovers

I only went to a couple of practices with them.  I now live in central VA, so I don't get up there as often as I would like.  And yeah, solo is fine, but it's not the same as actual sparring.
  7. Riothamus

For Sword Lovers

Merentha said:
    His fechbucht is one of the most commonly used sources for my ARMA group's study.  Its quite good, decently easy to understand, and has a very nice focus on aggressive combat and maintaining the initiative.

Merentha, what study group are you with?  I've worked with the DC one before.
  8. Riothamus

Favourite Medieval Heroes (POLL FIXED!!)

I voted William Wallace.

NOT because of the Braveheart movie, because I was born a Wallace.  And the real man knew how to take advantage of a situation (Stirling bridge).
  9. Riothamus

For Sword Lovers

I've practiced with a renaissance martial arts group, and I kept getting into the Ochs position, thanking that I could quickly thrust my blade because that was what I thought would work best.  But when you are in that position, the opponent can guess what you are going to do about 90% of the time and will already have a counter move waiting for you since there is only so much you can do from that guard.

One of the best lessons that Talhoffer teaches is the "get their first" mentality.  When I watched movies and I see swordsmen just bash at each other's blades trying to block one another, I thought "that doesn't look right."  Talhoffer discusses making a defensive move a simultaneous offensive move.  It's all about disabling the other guy, not dancing around swinging your blade this way and that.
  10. Riothamus

For Sword Lovers

I thought that I would post this for sword lovers.  It's a collection of plates from Talhoffer's Fechtbuch (fightbook).  It isn't a swordsman's manual per se, since the majority of a swordsman's teachings were done by a guild or master (during this time period anyway), but the plates were meant...
  11. Riothamus

What Is your favorite class of weapon before gunpowder?

I voted sword for versatility.  Cut, thrust, bash with the pommel, choke with the hilt.  All kinds of good stuff.
  12. Riothamus

Name those realistic combat scenes from movies!

One of the most realistic sword fighting scenes that I've seen is the final duel at the end of Rob Roy.  Granted, it's not a huge Braveheart pitched battle, but it does show two good swordsmen actually trying to get in on one another and actually wearing each other out.

I prefer the realistic stuff.
  13. Riothamus

Historical notes

I would love to help you out with the historical research.  I've been studying medieval history for over 10 years now, and I try to learn something new about that time period every day.

If you would like for me to assist (I've been looking into scripting and basic modelling, but haven't done anything really productive with that yet) let me know.
  14. Riothamus

Sword problem

That's not a bad looking sword!  Reminds me of the Liechtenauer sword from http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/swords-albion-mark-maestro.htm
Back
Top Bottom