Recent content by Pythagoras

1. Pythagoras

Forecast of the contents of the next patch

LOL - just got in trouble in another thread for a Chinese language joke. Oh the irony. Also it would serve you better to learn the difference between a fanboy -that being a blind loyal follower who absolves all criticism towards the devs and a healthy critic who can separate precise criticisms from stupid all encompassing griefings.

Besides the fact that Wa...agh refutes his own arguments by insulting you in such a ridiculous manner, he is not the only one who sees you as fanboy.
  2. Pythagoras

Real-World DLC Idea: Mount&Blade II: Ottoman Conquest

Factions are not only incredibly boring, but also it's too politically sensitive and would only draw endless discussions.
    No. Just no.
  3. Pythagoras

SP - General Sprinkling the strategy: Advanced tactics with radial menu

This is basicly all we need in terms of combat along with the map that is also proposed here (besides ambushes...). That would make the game so much more fun and playable. If only the world would be more credible and intelligent as well...
  4. Pythagoras

I'm sorry but I finally give up, what the hell are TW doing? Nothing new in 3 weeks. Whoever is managing this team needs the boot.

These kinds of threads are probably the biggest reason why we don't hear much from them. I almost can't stomach the forums/reddit anymore because at least half of the posts are like this. They were pretty clear on the store page that A LOT was missing from the game and I don't think there is anything they could do at this point to make the public happy.

You are confusing cause and effect...
  5. Pythagoras

A Vanilla M&B 1 Alpha Player's Thoughts on Bannerlord

Problem is: They gathered a lot of experience and feedback over the years and being a 90 people dev deam (as far as i know), demanding a full AAA price we can expect quite some more effort and professionality regarding Bannerlord. There is not much that indicates that there is much more to be implemented in Bannerlord, which is a huge disappointment. This is the core of the criticism. As you see with many problems, be it in diplomacy, building, crafting or especially battles: They haven't put a lot of thought into it, except some minor quality of life improvements and graphics. We can only hope that they make more out of it, but seriously: If it works as with M&B we will have to pay a fortune for every bit of improvement.

Oh and i played the series from the first M&B on, there is no game that i have put more time into.
  6. Pythagoras

What do you think about population?

You have valid point but I think it can be balanced with some thought put in it. It would be just as hard for player to recruit but there also must be the way for player to train the troops without risking by making them fight looters. Well polished barracks system could do the trick.

Thought put in it is exactly the thing that the game in general misses, and that in every single feature.

The "trick" could also just be a choice of whom to take with you in battle. Noone would take his recruits into battle into the first line, he rather would use them only as an ultima ratio. Thus a choice of main and reserve force would help a lot with that, along with a logical way of training your troops apart from battles (as normal soldiers would do when being in the field and having time...).
  7. Pythagoras

SP - General Armour. Why it doesn't work and how to make it work

You answered your own question, they were popular because they were easy to carry and draw when your main weapon was unavailable. Swords were, as a battlefield weapon, nothing more than a backup in the vast majority of cases, and they were only used when things went wrong in some way.
    There are, as always, exceptions to that, but that's the general rule you see in history. It's not that swords were just so good that they were common, they were just easy to wear and handy for self defense.

Swords were extremely popular in medieval warfare, so they must've been pretty good, or heavy armour was a lot rarer than we think. They weren't perhaps the first weapon you'd use, but rather a backup weapon for if your spear broke. But since we don't have breaking spears or accidentally dropping your 2H mace, or maybe being disarmed, then swords would probably only ever be used in sieges for the overhead chop and general good handling in close quarters. Maybe that would be realistic, but realism should always be carefully balanced with choices and fun.

Swords were first of all very very expensive and thus a symbol of status and position. They were of course useful to some degree, especially against not so strongly armoured targets, mainly because of their good handling and balancing compared to the cheaper weapons of the normal soldier. For a plate armour you'd probably have chosen a war hammer with a piercing end, or a pointy spear for the weak spots.

For me there is no reason to depart from that in Bannerlord. If you give swords those advantages and make them expensive, you would introduce a balance that gets near to history without sacrificing the fun part. You could also introduce some kind of fame or renown for carrying an expensive sword, for example.
  8. Pythagoras

New Taleworlds Blogpost on Steam - Early Access Update

So much time, so much to do in the game, and that is literally all they have to say. Although i appreciate communication, as well as the optimized levelling, it doesn't seem as if there is a lot to come besides some minor fixes. And honestly: Adding a kingdom creation button is nothing to be really proud of, especially when you look at what leading a kingdom in bannerlord means: Nothing.
  9. Pythagoras

Tended to be the case in Warband? Allowed weapons and armor to have differing interactions so not one weapon was best against every armor? Granted following the rest of your post two wrongs don't make a right, but that's one answer.

Seems like a possibility, but also like a fast and cheap solution.
    In history there were no weapons best against every armour, and if it was it would be a sword, which was an extremely expensive and hard to get weapon (which it should be in bannerlord as well). I think it shouldn't be that hard to balance the weapon types while maintaining a logical damage model as proposed by the OP.
  10. Pythagoras

That's an awesome analysis and some good proposals.

However, I cannot totally agree with the enthusiasm to make armor so much better. The reason is that the game lacks almost any negatives which come along with armor. Making armor too good leads to big imbalance therefore.

You know the story of the death of the Earl of Shrewsbury in 1098? When the fleet of Magnus Barefoot (or Bareleg, as others call him) was near his lands, the earl rode to the shore with his force, and two archers from the ships shot at him, one arrow hit the nasal of the helmet and deflected, the other hit through the eye and killed the heavily armored knight immediately. Such total failure of armor was not extremely seldom, because most armor had gaps.

So we needed a percentage for when armor was applied and for when it was of no use at all (like in Kenshi). If we had closed helmets we needed, for example, negatives to Athletics (cause breathing is strongly affected by closed helmets), perhaps restricted vision. We needed exhaustion from the weight and heat (or cold) coupled with the wearing of armor. We have nothing of this, no negatives (except weight on foot), armor protects all the time, so it must not protect as much as it would in reality if hit.

I think both should accompany eachother, and that is something we can expect. TW now even got a tutorial how to adjust the armor calculation, and adding a simple stamina malus dependent on armour shouldn't be a real problem i guess.
  11. Pythagoras

Great analysis and proposal!

Doesn't seem as if pierce damage really works as pierce damage. The only reason to use pierce weapons is (besides cavalry defense and range) to pierce armor, and this is not at all reflected in the present code. Please correct me if i'm wrong there, but if i'm not this is just another example for how few thoughts they have actually put in the development process. They seem to just have coded something that works at the first look, but is nowhere near credible or logical.
  12. Pythagoras

Recent comment by Callum spills the beans on Bannerlord combat in a really disheartening way.

What options has the AI and you dont have? You have formations in the game too, just press F3 and you will see them (shield wall include).

Shieldwall doesn't work as shieldwall, but as a mere workaround for getting your troops to lift their shields. Also, since recruits are thrown into the same group and forced to take part in every battle your shield wall consists mostly of easy targets when you don't have a fleshed out, recruitless army.
    Spear wall (including passive spear damage) does not exist, which would be an even more (if not by far the most) important feature for medieval oriented factions.
    The AI can order troops e.g. to protect or attack flanks or to skirmish - both are most basic orders, important for every battle between the stone ages and the age of blackpowder. We can't give them, and even if we could it would be extremely annoying to do so via F-keys instead of a battle map.

Finally. So u r acting like funny kid every single day crying like a young virgin, because of huge amount of 50$ ??? poor, sad, frustrated kid wasting his time, coming here everyday, writing, complaining. And Why? Because he spent 50$ ??? Its beautiful, u r amazing.

Just give me Your bank account, I’ll send you money and save Your life. And if u finally dissapear from here - u will also save us :smile:

Come on man, you are embarrassing yourself... There are people who don't get their arses stuffed up by their parents, some people have to work hard for every cent they get. You on the other hand seem to be a classic, miserable bully without any sense for mutual respect, humility or humbleness. Get lost.
  13. Pythagoras

Recent comment by Callum spills the beans on Bannerlord combat in a really disheartening way.

The problem with complex tactics is you would luike the AI to use them too. The perfect example is Total War games.

They offer deep micro while in battle, but its very hard to do a effective AI who could counter your tactics. So you can always win against stronger armies just because the AI cant use the same tactics than you. And its not because they are bad AI programmers. To program a good AI is very hard, and it becomes exponentially harder the more options have the player.

I would prefere more limited options in battle if it makes the AI more competitive on it.

The AI has MORE options than we have, at the moment. Giving us the same abilities, along with working formations including the most basic ones (shield wall and spear wall) and a simple battle map to give commands similar to Warband would probably be nearly enough. Given that this is supposed to be an M&B 2 that should be the minimum to expect.
  14. Pythagoras

(which it is not of course; who does play Total War games unmodded??).

I do :grin: But only because i haven't found any proper tactic mods yet...
  15. Pythagoras

People like you are the reason companies can act this way

No, people like most of those TW fanboys defending everything they throw at us are the reason companies can act this way.
    We have to complain and show them that we don't accept the trend of dumbing down everything for the sake of the casual masses (= money), otherwise he is totally right.
Back
Top Bottom