Recent content by khuzaithorde

1. khuzaithorde

Stop ping ping armies: armies should need to rest/camp from time to time

Agreeing with this, also it would be nice if you had two choices for resting just on the world map: "camp" where you restore stamina quickly and "ambush" where you get less of a benefit to rest but also get a bonus to stealth (scaling with size of your party) so you can hide and wait for someone to come close enough that you can rush out to ambush them. You should probably also get information about enemy party/army movements from settlements/ villages with a rough idea of how large they were and when they were spotted when you visit them. They could appear on the world map too.

I heard they scrapped the ambush mechanic as TW couldn't make it fun.
  2. khuzaithorde

A fix for spears and cavalry (video)

realistically accurate but I would like some information:
    1) if a single soldier attacks my horse with a spear while I am standing with it, does the horse get on his two legs scared preventing me from leaving the dangerous place?
    2) since this mechanic balances the lack of a wall of spears very well, shouldn't the damage of the charges be increased by a lot? (instead of 15 damage with a full speed impact, at least a 60-70 ... if not fatal in some cases)
    3) does the "fright" effect strike with a given radius or in a narrow cone that starts from the speared spear?
    If it starts from a cone, how much is the angle of the cone?
    If not, how exactly does the system work?

I use the Don't Stop Me Now mod with the mod I linked (Combat and Skills Rebalance) ^

This gives you more control of this fear mechanic, see the config here:
    Code:
    # Config_Version: Used to patch this file. Don't modify.

# REAR-UP
    # Affect_Ai:  Should AI controlled horses be affected by the rear-up mechanic. (Disabled by default.)
    # Affect_Player:  Should the horse controlled by the player be affected by the rear-up mechanic. (Disabled by default.)
    # Allow_Cut_Damage:  Should cut damage be able to trigger rear-ups. (False in the base game.)
    # Allow_Pierce_Damage:  Should pierce damage be able to trigger rear-ups. (True in the base game.)
    # Allow_Blunt_Damage:  Should blunt damage be able to trigger rear-ups. (False in the base game.)
    # Allow_Swing_Attacks:  Should swing attacks be able to trigger rear-ups. (False in the base game.)
    # Allow_Thrust_Attacks:  Should thrust attacks be able to trigger rear-ups. (True in the base game.)
    # Allow_Ranged_Weapons:  Should ranged weapons be able to trigger rear-ups. (False in the base game. Note that if you want to allow ranged weapons, "Allow_Thrust_Attacks" must also be set to True.)
    # Allow_All_Melee_Weapons:  Should all melee weapons be able to trigger rear-ups. (False in the base game, only polearms can.)
    # Allow_Mounted_Attacks:  Should mounted attacks be able to trigger rear-ups. (False in the base game. This parameter is ignored for ranged weapons.)
    # Minimal_Speed:  A horse won't rear up if he's moving slower than this. (4 m/s in the base game.)
    # Maximal_Speed:  A horse won't rear up if he's moving faster than this. (Unused in the base game.)
    # Minimal_Damage:  A horse won't rear up if the attacks does less than this amount of damage. (30 in the base game.)
    # Maximal_Damage:  A horse won't rear up if the attacks does more than this amount of damage. (Unused in the base game.)
    # Frontal_Angle:  A horse rears up only if the attack is coming from this angle. (120° in the base game. Doesn't seem to work properly with swing attacks.)
    # Cooldown:  A horse won't rear up more than once during this amount of time. (Absent in the base game, but not needed because of the minimal speed requirement.)

# CHARGE
    # Charge_Damage_Multiplier:  Charge damage (both inflicted and received) will be multiplied by this value
    # Damage_Ai_Horses:  Should AI controlled horses damage themselves when charging. (Disabled by default.)
    # Damage_Player_Horse:  Should the horse controlled by the player damages itself when charging. (Disabled by default.)
    # Received_Damage:  Amount of damage a charging horse receives on collision. (Works the same way as inflicted charge damage, but takes the horse's armor into account instead.)
    # Print_Received_Damage:  Should the received damage be printed in the chat window.

Config_Version: 3
    RearUp:
      Affect_Ai: true
      Affect_Player: true
      Allow_Cut_Damage: true
      Allow_Pierce_Damage: true
      Allow_Blunt_Damage: true
      Allow_Swing_Attacks: true
      Allow_Thrust_Attacks: true
      Allow_Ranged_Weapons: true
      Allow_All_Melee_Weapons: true
      Allow_Mounted_Attacks: false
      Minimal_Speed: 30
      Maximal_Speed:
      Minimal_Damage: 100
      Maximal_Damage:
      Frontal_Angle: 180
      Cooldown: 3000
    Charge:
      Charge_Damage_Multiplier: 5
      Damage_Ai_Horses: true
      Damage_Player_Horse: false
      Received_Damage: 50
      Print_Received_Damage: true

So you can change this to what you like (for example the cone of vision this will happen in)
  3. khuzaithorde

While generally this video is informative, the guy doesn't strike me as a very confident rider and his relationship with a horse, while adorable, doesn't reflect how a mounted warrior would treat his horse. A better example would be kokpar which is basically a rugby with horses and with a dead lamb instead of a ball. Example:

Coming from a country with strong cavalry traditions I can assure you: a stallion, and especially an alpha stallion will charge at literally anything and will f*ck your sh*t up by any means necessary, he'll even bite you. It doesn't even require a lot of training to do that. It'll need training to obey you, but certainly not to getting used to a stick coming near his head.

Interesting to see but when faced with a shield wall of armored men with spears and axes I wonder how far they would get.
  4. khuzaithorde

Cavalry charges were like a game of chicken. If the infantry doesn't break, the cavalry could always cancel the charge. It takes a lot of nerve on both sides. In those cases where both held their nerve, then it could go either way. There are cases where well trained men-at-arms have under-estimated infantry and been slaughtered, one of William Wallace's battles went this way, I forget which one. Add there's other cases of a few hundred cavalry routing thousands of infantry, e.g. Norman knights in Cerami.

A lot of it depends on the time period too. An unarmoured horse and rider with a spear is a different prospect to a full plate knight and horse with a couched lance. Superficially they seem similar, but they are totally different challenges to infantry.

I think you summed it up well. In reality, a unit like the tier 1 recruits would break instantly when faced with cavalry. Difficult to recreate this game of chicken and make it fun in a game.
  5. khuzaithorde

This video is really interesting for understanding horses on the battlefield.
  6. khuzaithorde

It's a myth that Cav never frontally charged during battle and only charged flanks. During the early Medieval times, before massed pikes became a common tactic, frontal cavalry charges were not uncommon and they were successful. It really wasn't until Pikes and Halberds wielded by trained and disciplined infantry becoming much more prevalent that caused Cav to have to stop frontal charging. At that point it became the norm for cav to either charge from flanks or even dismount and fight on foot as heavy infantry.

It's a very video gamey thing that dictates that cav get beaten by spears so soundly or that they have to rear charge to be effective.
    Do you have any examples for early medieval frontal charges being common? From what I can see, it depends on terrain and if the enemy has gaps in the formation, I can't image horses charging against a solid shield wall?
  7. khuzaithorde

The enemy either does nothing (they are outnumbered), in which case you use overpowered archery to kill them, or they just charge you instantly and you don't even have time to think about formations and flanking etc. These kind of things work in TW, but M&B is so fast paced everything just ends up being a total cluster**** every time.

I think they'll improve it, still got a lot of time before it comes out of early access.
  8. khuzaithorde

I feel that cavalry could be improved by: 1. Not allowing them to charge head on through a braced formation (especially spears/pikes) 2. If charging into a braced formation, horses will refuse the charge 3. Being able to have a successful charge only if hitting infantry from the flank or from...
  9. khuzaithorde

'About infantry vs Cav.' - toughts about recent dev input - UPDATED with poll

Thanks. Do you know if AI behavior differs as well? The AI are still not able to land hits on me or the other cavalry if I just ride through them.
    I play with this mod
    (Also need this for it to work)

But from what I can see, the AI is better in campaign with Lords having more tactics, like forming a circle when outnumbered.
  10. khuzaithorde

'About infantry vs Cav.' - toughts about recent dev input - UPDATED with poll

Does anyone have any more insight though as to what the differences between custom battle and campaign are that would cause the behavior shown in my video above to happen in one but not the other? I don't think it's that damage is turned way down because I will still die it 2 or 3 solid hits when they land. Also, if I reverse the roles and delegate infantry command to sergeants (F6) they still seem to lose to cavalry.

The way damage is calculated is different between campaign and custom battle.
  11. khuzaithorde

? Alpha & Beta Branches Feedback

I reckon it's a dangerous concoction of friendly units not halting attacks and blocking being broken. So they are many hits, no proper defence and therefore troops die a lot.
    I tested 500 vs 500 infantry, put my men in shieldwall (all carrying spears but they never use them, they only use their swords) and the AI got destroyed in around 2 - 3 minutes.
  12. khuzaithorde

? Alpha & Beta Branches Feedback

Thank you both! Let me know if you think of a way to improve the Legend / Tables, a more catchy title for the thread or if I'm forgetting anything!

UI lightning is fixed with this:
  13. khuzaithorde

Beta Branch Patch Notes e1.2.0

I have tried to install this mod but it looks like it does not work with Beta 1.2.0. I would like to try this mod because I am starting to get bored of the game :sad:. There are still not much content and combat is so bad and easy now.

What annoys me a bit is that the AI is still present in the game and TW just need to adjust the weapon skill level to make units with +100 weapon skill competent like the mod creator did, but for some reason they are taking ages for fixing this.

It works with 1.2.0 but you need this mod with it:
  14. khuzaithorde

So what features are you guys expecting from the devs?

Thank you for the effort.

It was made by ThePinkPanzer, I just copy it from a old thread.
  15. khuzaithorde

Spear Static Damage WIP

Static, passive, dynamic, phalanx, spear bracing, spear mod, etc. Call it anything you want it to be. Still WIP.
    If You like what I do, please consider subscribing. Thank You

Horses would never charge into long pointy sticks, is it possible to get them to rear up?

Edit: great job, bannerlord needs this badly along with fixing the shieldwall.
Back
Top Bottom