EU Native Battle Completed [WAUL] Warband Autumn League

whats it supposed to be?? its div b for sure
    how many tournaments have you won?
  4. Gibby Jr

Grand-Final Preview - Commando Oida vs Apis Europae

shema still falling for traps in 2023
  5. Gibby Jr

We were wrong about the class system...

glad to see such voices of wisdom when i boot up the forums!
  6. Gibby Jr

Need More Info Skirmish not working.

Nobody plays public skirmish anyway?
  7. Gibby Jr

[BL] Warbanner - Bringing Warband to Bannerlord

Here are some of my suggestions for a Warband-style mod:

Chambers
    I believe they worked in WB if you were in the beginning part of a readying animation as the enemy's weapon was hitting your body, and if you're facing towards them; it was simple but effective; BL changes this by making it based on weapon collision instead, which might sound logical on paper, but in practice the functionality is underwhelming, and it can ironically result in more unrealistic-looking lucky chambers happening at illogical angles

Swing arcs
    Try to make it so that attacks don't get stuck behind you; just reimplementing Warband's animations straight-up would be a decent upgrade; holding a left swing and moving forward in BL looks awful in particular; the current swing arcs aren't suitable for a broader range of environments (especially closed areas), which might face further problems in future custom-made maps (but are a problem even in TW's maps)

Stances
    This technically might involve skill, but only in the same way that juggling while riding a unicycle and balancing an umbrella on your nose is skilful; I think it's horrible for groupfighting; it feels like an unnecessary, inelegent feature; and it's funny that TW's defenders were once saying "yeah it's a bad idea but it has zero effect", yet various effects have since come to light

Directional shields
    For melee it's okay, but the shield should more reliably protect at the front against projectiles (this is a "gameplay > realism" argument); if you've bought a shield, equipped it, held RMB, pointed the camera at the archer, the shield ought to work, otherwise what's the point? it's cheap and unfun if you can shoot around it easily, and there are other solid ways archers can get shots in instead; there may also be problems with hit detection in melee, I remember there could be weird moments where you'd hit someone's back yet their shield near the front magically/unfairly absorbed the hit; the same can happen with cavalry shields

Kicks
    They're somewhat fine, but they should only connect if they hit your centre body (not your hand or shield), which right now can sometimes increase their range bizarrely; counter-kicking is good (it was possible in WB too); but in BL you can't jump over kicks, which was really fun and epic in WB; it's my impression that WB used something like an "isGrounded" check to see if you could be kicked; right now in BL you instead just "blob" in midair if you get kicked, and your momentum completely stops, which doesn't feel any more realistic or fun or polished

Jumping
    In BL jumping is extremely lame, especially for a fully 3D game that has a lot of verticality in its maps (battlement walls, slopes, ramps, ladders, stairs, etc.), which will become even more prevalent with future custom-made maps; I liked how WB had Insurgency's approach for jumping, where it did what a jump is supposed to do (and didn't gimp it) yet you couldn't constantly do it (like CS's bunnyhopping) because of a cooldown timer, which it shared with kicking; BL's physics have an unrealistically weird floaty feel; this and other things (e.g. the ground touch after a short fall) unnecessarily make soldiers seem like 80-year-olds with arthritis rather than warriors

Edges
    When you jump close to an edge, your jump is more than halved; I don't know whether this is a result of a rookie mistake relating to an "isGrounded" issue (like when beginners try to make a platformer) or a deliberate feature for the sake of supposed realism (because jumping while half off an edge might look weird), but for the sake of "gameplay > realism" (and for more WB-style gameplay) this should be reverted

Foot movement
    Every single time I watch a stream of BL again after a while, the infantry movement strikes me as very poor quality, dinky and sluggish; even just for visual's sake I'd want to improve it, but for gameplay too it's like they tried making it more realistically "weighted" despite that overall it just makes characters seem strangely fat, gimped and rickety, as though moving around with molasses

Rotation
    In WB's MP (not SP) the body would sharply follow the camera rotation when idle, but slow down when attacking or doing other things; in BL the rotation isn't as bad as WB's SP but a lot worse than WB's MP, since the character stupidly stands there for a second before turning (slightly); for a Warband-style mod I think the rotation should be copied directly; I can't think of anything right now that would improve upon that

Weight
    WB opted for a more universal speed across all classes (possibly with very minor difference based on armour/equipment) because it was proven during tests more than 12 years ago that bigger differences of speed leads to trolling and annoying gameplay; kiting can become all too easy and people can delay rounds just by running around

Horses
    BL's double-tapping feature for cavalry feels pretty good, but I'd hope something can be tweaked to make it less abusable; it might need a cooldown timer (especially the "yah" sound), so it can't be spammed constantly; I liked how horses in WB would more easily rear up when bumping into things (since it created a bigger need for awareness, so they can't just be treated like bumper cars); one of the worst aspects about BL is how cavalry can slide you around as if you're on ice; it severely messes up the gameplay and looks rubbish

Spears
    Make anti-cavalry more fun to play; spears should be less floaty and more precise; make sure it's just as "easy" to rear horses as it was in WB; make it so you can rear horses while jumping (not necessarily realistic but it's fun, and it makes spears more versatile against cavalry); spears can end up a little OP in melee sometimes, so maybe something can be done about that, but the fun of anti-cavalry is the main priority; someone mentioned something about blocked stabs stunning you for a while, which might be important

Overhead thrusts
    I think these are fine, and it's one of the nicer additions; it's not ideal that it can be harder to read whether it's an up or down stab in the heat of the moment, but it's not too bad either; I'm not that fussed about polearms having side swing attacks but it can be fun sometimes

Weapon stun
    It's too excessive and annoying; it makes it feel like the game stopped working when it happens; maybe reduce it to just shield stunning with a held polearm overhead

Horse archers
    Just don't include them (at least not for competitive); there've been discussions about how to possibly balance them going literally as far back as 2005 on these messageboards, but it's just a massive waste of time, since their entire concept is fundamentally broken for anything except a cheap SP power-fantasy where bots won't complain if you abuse it (and Captains too); maybe the Khuzait can still exist if balanced viably in other ways

Archers
    I don't play this class often, but the last time I tried it in BL, it felt awful; so hopefully it can be improved to make it more fun, yet still make sure it's not easily annoying or overpowered; IG had to limit the class to 4 or 5 per team (with 50 people playing); make sure arrows don't penetrate shields, whether it's a bug or an intentional feature, it's not a good/fun feature for MP

Camera problems
    Make it so releasing the tilde key makes the camera instantly go back to default view; BL's slower camera rotation adds nothing but maybe a smoother presentation for casual console gamers who argue "cinematic > gameplay"; any other functional improvements to how the camera interacts with obstacles would be good; WB's camera was pretty much ideal

Item selection
    Either include an improved version of WB's gear shop (with balance and interesting variety) or vastly improve BL's system so that you're not forced to play as a pathetic peasant in baggy trousers with an elf hat choosing between either a shield or spear; provide a decent mid-build that you can always afford, and make upgrading feel satisfying yet not OP

Excellent post…
  8. Gibby Jr

EU Native Battle Open Fantasy Warband League

Announcement

Warbanders,

We're really busy setting everything up behind the scenes and everything is going well so far. We are currently aiming to have 10 teams of 14 players including the captain (so 13+1). In order to make this happen we need 10 (!) more sign-ups, these will be the last spots. People signing up afterwards will be put up on to the reserve list.

We're urgently looking for these remaining spots to be filled up quick because we would love to do the picking this weekend. The idea is that the captains then have a week to gather their teams together and play some scrims. The tournament will then officially start on the 8th of August.

If we will not reach the desired amount of 140 players by the time of the picking night, we will decrease it to 130. This means that the latest sign-ups will be put on the top of the reserve list.

Cheers!
    Isn’t 14 people per team gonna mean people don’t play a lot?
  9. Gibby Jr

EU Native Battle Open Fantasy Warband League

Player sign up

Name:
    Walter
    Nationality: Irish
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/waltermnb/
    Preferred Class: Cav
    Activity: 100% Active
    Very high level pickup here. Possibly greatest Irish player of all time.
  10. Gibby Jr

Old Forums

Has the old forum been closed?
  11. Gibby Jr

The approach to MP has failed, and what could be done to revive it

Its just not true. It's way harder to 360 spin and hit someone when your character model lags behind the cursor, it's so much harder that it usually misses now and hardly anyone bothers to try it. The fact that footwork is too slow and easy to follow is what makes it irrelevant, because you can't gain an advantage with it. You totally could get away from someone in warband, and you used to in this game. It is the case that if you turn and hit to early during an attack, it will hit for very reduced damage and may even glance and fail to stun. Check the changelogs and test it yourself. I seriously doubt you play with any sort of proficiency if you think this. It feels ****ing awful, even compared to a few patches ago. Go on duel right now and you'll see what I mean, people standing less than a foot away from each other trading attacks and blocks one for one because you can't move on and out and feinting doesn't work half the time, and doesn't work at all up close unless you count hilt spam. Half of the time a cancelation on an attack doesn't even work, so pretty much none of the new players do it. It's a dumbed down, worse, noobier version of the previous game still.
    No turncap would make movement irrelevant. In Warband, part of the reason why you could dodge attacks, or force them to glance, was because of the more restrictive turncap (and the tighter swing arcs).
    I have included a helpful demonstrative video for you:

I agree with you that Bannerlord's combat is simpler than Warband's, particularly when it comes to things like attack angles and movement, but the freer turncap is one of the things contributing to that problem.

In Warband the situation was a little unique, as while holding an attack or block you could only turn relatively slowly but when changing input, ie. holding an attack and pressing block, you would almost instantly turn in the direction you moved your mouse. This meant that while you couldn't spin around as fast as you could move your mouse while holding an attack, you could instantly turn beyond the turncap to block incoming attacks.
  12. Gibby Jr

Should shield bash be in the game?

Shieldbash is one of those mechanics that either is garbage or broken. Right now it's the latter. It is too fast and can be spammed immediately after being hit, meaning any aggressor can't put on significant pressure as they need to be ready not only for a fast counter attack (already too strong due to the attack reset being too long), but an even faster shield bash. Not to mention how it makes you essentially defenceless in a 1v2. This was discussed and pointed out years ago.

BTW reason 1v2 is unwinnable is also because of attack reset being too slow, you can't attack one person (who blocks) then quickly switch to the other person, because your attack is now stuck in a long reset. The friendly player capsules don't help also, the duo in a 2v1 can just almost phase through each other in order to repeatedly attack with little concern for positioning.

I think there is a distinction between attack reset from an attack and the reset from a block. From a block, the reset is too slow and from an attack it is too fast. This is the most pressing issue with 1vX being unwinnable, even more-so than the less precise movement making out-maneuvering opponents extremely difficult without kiting and the huge swing arcs making precise return-attacks as the 1 against X extremely hard. Right now, when you attack and are blocked you can immediately enter into another attack with almost no delay, meaning that 2 people attacking 1 can spam attacks ad infinitum with no way to interrupt them.

In Warband, if as the 1 you double-blocked then you would have the initiative, because the attack reset from an attack into another attack was slow enough that the 2 attackers would not be able to spam attacks forever. This is provided that the 1 manages to force the two incoming attacks to connect at a relatively similar time (though it did not have to be precise) and is quick with their return attack.

In Bannerlord, if you double-block two incoming attacks, even at the same time, you cannot reclaim the initiative because the reset from a block into an attack is too slow, while the attackers enjoy an almost instant reset into their next attack.

Perhaps reset is the wrong word; it's more like there is a delay between going from a block to an attack but no delay doing one attack after another, particularly an attack from the same direction. This means that even with perfect 1vX blocking there is almost no way to reclaim the initiative, or any interludes in which to return attacks. This combined with the imprecise swing arcs and movement makes a 1v2 as a good player against much weaker players almost unwinnable, provided they know the basic mechanics, without horrendous and disdainful kiting, which in itself is only viable until the opposing players catch up.
  13. Gibby Jr

EU Other Open 2v2 Groupfighting Tournament

Gibby & Arni 20 - 9 Silver & Relynar
  14. Gibby Jr

Would you watch Comp Skirm

Well, I'm talking about people who play Bannerlord competitively, not Warband. There's a poll going on right now that is 10/1 in the favor of playing skirmish rather than battle. Also there's just the fact that warband doesn't exactly HAVE a skirmish mode. They wouldn't be playing warband skirmish, because there is no warband skirmish.
    I don't know what poll you are referring to, I'd like to see what sort of people are participating. The most hardcore Bannerlord MP players are going to be inclined towards skirmish because it's what they're used to. A skirmish mode in Warband wouldn't get much attention because battle is vastly superior for competitive play and it's what players there are used to. It's a reductive argument to even talk about a skirmish mode in Warband, and I struggle to envision that you are deluded enough to think that Warband MP players would prefer skirmish to battle. The only reason I'd be tentative about playing a single-life mode competitively in Bannerlord is because the class system doesn't work very well with it, not because skirmish is actually preferable to battle.
  15. Gibby Jr

Would you watch Comp Skirm

At the moment the competitive community seems to be disproportionally in the favor of skirmish being the main comp mode.
    I think this is nonsense, even within the Bannerlord MP community. There are also hundreds of people that still play Warband’s Battle mode competitively.
Back
Top Bottom