Recent content by erikred

1. erikred

Screenshots

Tiberius said:
    I was walking around a village and found this strange... pool of blood? Wait what?
    mb31.jpg

Seriously, what is it? Maybe it's just black dirt or something...
    Looks like it's a misplaced graphic denoting a slaughterhouse. Some of the villages have those buildings and a large area stained with blood nearby.

And for legality, Ymira, Cinderella of my martial dreams:
    ymira2.jpg
  2. erikred

Fighting without shields

I use two main kit-outs:

Riding them down:

Lance
    Sword of War
    War Bow
    Large Bag of Kerghit Arrows

Sieges:
    Sword of War
    Large Shield
    War Bow
    Large Bag of Kerghit Arrows

When besieging a castle or town, the bow is good for the initial sniping, the shield gets me up the ramp without too much damage, and then the SoW cleaves heads. Switch back and forth depending on foes.
  3. erikred

Capturing Nobles...

bltsponge said:
    So I've been given a quest to capture a noble for the Khergit khan, and I just can't do it.  I've fought at least 10  lords since getting the quest and I STILL haven't caught any, they keep running away!
    I'm not a fan of this technique, but sometimes there's not much you can do: save the game before a battle; if you don't get the lord, Quit without Saving, and then Restore. It's not an honorable, but this is one of the harder quests of the game.
  4. erikred

Screenshots

What's that, King Yargoleck?
    yargolek1.jpg

Am I gonna have to smack a *****?
    yargolek2.jpg

Apparently I am!
    yargolek3.jpg

5. erikred

Screenshots

So I went exploring around Unuzdaq Castle, and I came upon this little oddity: if you run away from the castle until you run in to the hills, you can climb up and to the right and eventually climb all the way above the Castle:
    unuzdaq1.jpg

Here's a little proof-of-concept shot to show just how high above it all you can get:
    unuzdaq2.jpg

Mosey on down the hill a little, and you discover that you can easily climb down onto the wall:
    unuzdaq3.jpg

Why don't the guards rush you on the hill? Turns out they can't make it up the incline:
    unuzdaq4.jpg

So, if those pesky defenders at Unuzdaq Castle are taunting you too much, consider taking the back door entrance.
  6. erikred

Prisoners of War disappearing in Times of Peace?

Red River said:
    this is a new feature. in prev. versions only lords/kings would be freed upon peace treaty.
    BloodLuster said:
    If you have prisoners and the faction you are affiliated makes peace with the prisoners faction, all prisoners (lords and regular units) are freed!! Happen to me while I was looking for a Ramson Dealer to trade 30 Vaegirs for coins!!
    Whew! So glad to hear that I'm not going nuts. Well, at least not over this, anyway.
  7. erikred

Prisoners of War disappearing in Times of Peace?

So I begin my illustrious mercenary career working for the Kerghits who are, conveniently, at war with the Rhodoks. I throw my measly troops into a fray on the side of Sanjar Khan's already almighty army, and the end result is I capture 5 Rhodok Veteran Spearmen (and look pretty good to old SK...
  8. erikred

What determines the likelyhood of a captured fief being given to you?

Togakure said:
    It's not a simple ratio from what I've been able to tell.  Other lords are eligible, they have renown, and may or may not have fiefs.  I believe both are taken into account.  I've noticed that if I have a fief and there are lords without fiefs, I've never been offered a second fief until the fief-less lords have gotten one.  If we have equal fiefs, sometimes I get it and sometimes not--but I've noticed that if my renown is a lot higher than theirs, I get it more often.  The king's favor seems to play a part when both of these factors are close.
    You can see this illustrated (in .96, at least) if you back a claimant, convince some lords to join your cause, and then take a few new castles or towns: the claimant will generally ask you who should get the newly available fiefs, and your relationships with your fellow lords (and your claimant) will change, depending on your answers. From observation:
    -- your relationship with the lord you grant the fief to increases.
    -- your relationship with lords with no or less fiefs than those of the awardee decreases.
    -- your relationship with a lord's enemies decreases.
    -- if you always grab the fiefs for yourself, your relationship with everyone else decreases.

Mind you, this was also somewhat random, since quitting and restoring the game yielded different results. However, I found that the safest bet was to keep track of who got the last fief and make sure not to give fiefs to the same lord twice in a row.

Perhaps the same principles hold for Kings.

9. erikred

Cattle

theguruofreason said:
    I'm saying that I can't even find a village that has any cattle, let alone one with cattle of reasonable prices. The problem isn't herding and the problem isn't just the price, it's that lords raid villages so much that all the cattle in Calradia end up slaughtered.
    This is a function of trying to pay off two or three 500 troop garrisons. After a certain point, the only good, reliable way to make enough money to cover your weekly expenses (and keep up the morale of your 100+ member entourage) during a siege is to plunder the nearest four villages and sell poor Bessie for meat.

If you factor in costs for improvements, bribing Ladies to keep you popular with the Lords, and paying off heroes who do quests for you, you can see that a King probably doesn't have time to do much _apart_ from raiding villages.

Quick tip for those wheat missions, btw: wheat does occasionally run thin, so if you have a castle, consider stashing wheat in your chest there.
  10. erikred

Screenshots

World Map for 1.003:
    (actual size: 667kb, 2162x2092 pixels)

Pastiched using Photoshop. Some odd overlap, not sure why it didn't match seamlessly.

11. erikred

Screenshots

Bad manners:
    MnB_bad_manners.jpg

Sea Raider soup:
    MnB_sea_raider_soup.jpg

CSI Calradi:
    MnB_csi_calradia.jpg

Not sure, Bob, but I think it was... murder!
Back
Top Bottom