Recent content by Count Talbar

1. Count Talbar

It's 2024. Spears still suck

I never understood the logic behind that one. None of the other swinging weapons are blocked from activation by having a person or a wall behind you, so why just spears?
    It happens with stabs on all weapons, though it's more pronounced on spears because of their length. Side swings can in some situations get stuck while overheads never get stuck.
  2. Count Talbar

It's 2024. Spears still suck

It would be nice if at the very least if stabs wouldn't be blocked by characters and objects behind you. That alone makes spear formations useless.
  3. Count Talbar

2H sword vs 2H sword: Chamberblocking downward attacks

Thank you for this very insightful post!

Never thought about rest animations. So in the 2H sword vs 2H sword scenario, does rest animation (ie. sword point upright vs sword at waist with sword point facing enemy) also matter for the left and right chamber blocks? Or will these two chamber blocks (ie. chambering horizontal slashes at my left and right flanks) usually be successful regardless of rest stance?

Thank you again for the great reply.
    In this scenario, the rest animation will technically have some effect. For the waist held sword facing the enemy (I think I'll refer to these types of animations as "transition rests"), you'll have a nice sweeping animation in both directions regardless of stance due to it being held in the center.

As for the default rest animations, you'll have a wider swing animation if you chamber to the opposite side of your stance. So if you're in the right stance with the sword resting on your right, you'll have an easier time chambering attacks on your left and vice versa for the left stance. Now, you can still pretty easily chamber attacks on the same side as your default rest because 2H swords still have a good enough windup from that position.

Also, here's some general information regarding chambers: Chambering is only really possible when your weapon is roughly equivalent in speed or faster than your opponents. Lengthy weapons also have an easier time due to having a wider swing to catch the enemy's swing animation, assuming the weapon isn't too slow. Therefore, the theoretical best weapons for chambering would have good length, handling, and speed. Also, there are 3 different animations sets to learn for chambering which are 1H weapons (no shield), 2H swords, and pole arms (including 2H axes). Another tidbit, you can chamber attacks behind you.
  4. Count Talbar

2H sword vs 2H sword: Chamberblocking downward attacks

Chambers are heavily reliant on the transitional animations because your windup swing has to physically connect with the incoming attack. So generally, it's actually easier to chamber if your weapon is on the opposite side of the incoming attack because your windup swing will be more pronounced. If you hold a block in the correct direction and then try to chamber from that position, you'll have a very small window to chamber because your weapon isn't moving much.

Now, it's also important to note that different rest states and stances will affect your windup animation. So, in your example, the most reliable way to chamber an overhead with a 2H sword would be to hold a downward block and then do an overhead attack. Or, you can tap downward block and let your weapon go into the rest animation where your character holds the sword at his waist with the point facing the enemy and overhead from there. That's one of the most reliable animations for a 2H sword to overhead chamber regardless of stance, but of course it isn't really practical to play that way because the rest state only lasts a few seconds. Your crosshair placement shouldn't really matter much when you use a reliable wind up animation.
  5. Count Talbar

SP - General The Big Problem with Combat -- Unit collision and mass [FIX / SUGGESTION]

Made this with RBM to resemble the 2016

Nice. I'll have to check it out.
  6. Count Talbar

SP - General The Big Problem with Combat -- Unit collision and mass [FIX / SUGGESTION]

So, is the collision system going to be improved upon more in the future? While it's better now, it's still not good.
  7. Count Talbar

SP - General Remaster Belligerent Drunk from Warband

Must have been too complicated for the player to understand and not fun.
  8. Count Talbar

Which feature do you want the most?

Slavers should all have Judaean names to be historically accurate.
    Also, give them the ability to spread subversive ideologies and provoke civil wars.
  9. Count Talbar

Potential new gamer

I would recommend that you at least wait until the full game is released and then check back on the state of the game. Many of the mods will be broken on each new update and a fair number of mods have ceased updating. The vanilla game is not worth $50 in its current state and there are many core issues that need to be resolved.

I would, however, recommend picking up their previous game Mount and Blade: Warband. It's only $20 and you can get it for much cheaper on sale. It has many mods and even the vanilla version is very playable. While the visuals aren't very modern, the game has a lot of charm to it. The infantry combat is much better and soldiers and cavalry have proper collision in battle.
  10. Count Talbar

Have the devs said anything about fixing that twitching when troops blob up in sieges, and battles in general?

Let me point you to this thread -->The Big Problem with Unit Collision. The most that has been said about it is that it's being looked into, and that was quite a while ago.
  11. Count Talbar

Has these been addressed yet or acknowledged by the devs?
    No, they have not.
  12. Count Talbar

Thanks you for coming here to comment...it seems that this topic is not interesting enough ? .

I don't know how it isn't more discussed. I feel like its one of the most game/experience breaking things in the game right now.
  13. Count Talbar

I fiddled with the collision size several patches ago and while I'm not entirely sure, it seemed like there is a discrepancy between allied and enemy collision sizes. When you increase the collision size, your allies are no longer packed like sardines but it also feels like there's a strange bubble that prevents you from getting too close to an enemy agent. I don't know if it might have to do with the pushing mechanics or if agents just have a proportionally larger collision with enemies compared to allies. Also, thanks for the heads up about the mod.
  14. Count Talbar

In testing all this I have come across a problem, which has always been there for us players (since we have had access to the game). However, this problem does not seem to appear in the 2016 videos. I mean, when the bodies of the agents collide with each other in close quarters; there is a shaking of the agents causing an extremely annoying jittering in the player's camera. Perhaps a problem with kinematic physics?

In one of the old 2016 gameplays, Lust briefly talks about the engine being able to handle new physics interactions between infantry vs cavalry and heavy infantry vs lighter infantry. You can hear what he said at 25:27 - 25:55 in the video.

From what I gather, it seems the shaking and jittering might be the result of an intended pushing mechanic. If that's the case, I don't think it really works for a Mount and Blade game, or at least not in the way its implemented. I think it'd be different if pushing were only possible while walking and the reaction to being pushed was well animated instead of just sliding across the ground. It also really messes up cavalry vs infantry combat when cavalry can just run through 5+ ranks of infantry while sliding everyone out of place, making everything feel weightless.

P.S. Anyone feel like the current face creation is a little too restrictive compared to the 2016 version at the start of the vid?
  15. Count Talbar

MP Delay on release of attacks

I disagree.

I stopped playing both Chivalry and, to a lesser extent, Mordhau due to the ridiculous, super-human, lightning fast spikes in angular acceleration of the player body, footwork, and weapon that can be achieved with really un-natural movements (such has looking down at the ground, and then swinging an overhead accel with full damage). Over a network, these spikes make combat un-fun since they aren't perceptible due the lack of the full sensory feedback in a real fight. We only have a keyboard and mouse to work with.

This baked in delay may not achieve 100% realism, but it prevents the overall feeling and look of a fight from being so arcade-y. The devs put a lot of thought and intention into this and I see exactly why. I don't want a Chivalry clone. Devs, please don't fall for the cries to return to arcade combat.

Maybe, all that is needed is to tweak the sensitivity of the block/swing direction so that it doesn't require such an exaggerated movement to block a certain direction.

Except Warband never had the problems that Chivalry and Mordhau had. Hitting someone with the start or end of your swing made you whiff off, and blocking could match the pace of feinting. All this attack delay does is make combat sluggish and it especially screws over holds and stabs. The only attacks you should even bother using are non held left and right swings to mitigate attack delay and because the arcs are so wide its impossible to miss. As for visual looks, Bannerlord is far more unreadable due to the animation blending system mixing with feints and late swing cancels that can phase through enemies.

A big part of Bannerlord's problem is it inverts which aspects of combat should be fast or slow. Readying attacks, releasing attacks, and blocking should be quick and snappy to allow for skillful reactive gameplay. Readability was never an issue Warband had with these. Bannerlord makes these three aspects really sluggish while making swing speeds for weapons overall a little faster and making feinting unreadable, making it harder to react in combat. To top it off, movement speed is overall faster and more weightless in Bannerlord (with the exception of backpedaling). This combined with the sluggish dueling controls encourages you to spin away from an enemy if you fail to hit to deny them a counter attack, rinse and repeat. If they do manage to hit you in the back, it doesn't matter because you don't get slowed down like you would in Warband.
Back
Top Bottom