Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord Video Review by IGN

Users who are viewing this thread

Who. Cares. You're acting like an elitist and that only your opinion matters. People who shut down criticism with the Steam reviews are dumb, people who act like the Steam reviews don't exist are dumb.
Wrong again. What I said is the IGN review did a nice job of reflecting the other set of knowledgeable gamers on the issue iof Bannerlord / The long term fan base right here who have lofted almost the exact same negatives about the game forever now

For your better comprehension - Not just MY personal complaints - but many here on the forums. But you already know that your just throwing a hissy fit

What I really want to know, is why do so many people play the game in third person with the aimbot crosshair and movement arrow stuff on?

Guy talks about how immersive it is when in battle but has all the wrong things toggled for immersion.
1st person view has never felt more immersive to me. It feels, instead, like I'm a disembodied eyeball floating through the world with a couple of detached arms to hold my weapons, which in a lot of 1st person games that's literally all you are. 3rd person view gives me better situational awareness and I can tell what my body is doing like I can in real life, and that feels more immersive to me.

I just wikipedia TaleWorlds and Warhorse Studios (the Indie Developer of Kingdom Come Deliverance).

Turns out, Warhorse has more employees than TaleWorlds by about 33%.

I think people assume TaleWorlds is a Triple A company with hundreds of developers on their team. Yesterday I was reading an article that claimed 90+ for Bannerlord development. That's not very many at all and honestly very impressive that so few of people were able to develop this game throughout Early Access in only 2.5 years plus another almost 10 since original announcement. Most Triple A games these days take 5-7 years of development with over 10x the man power and resources.

Anywho, point is, 6/10 is a shady review for a game that delivers hundreds and hundreds of hours in it's Vanilla format then another several hundred of hours per overhaul mod. I think fair is 7.5/10 or 8/10 simply because yes, Bannerlord is missing some pretty basic quality of life mechanics and does have some bugs (thankfully not game breaking like so many of these untested Triple A company releases) and probably the most important, the wack AI. However, given all those issues I just mentioned, Bannerlord still delivers us a fun and exciting experience each and everytime. How can any of us complain about the joy we get? If you ask me, most people who are "upset" with TaleWorlds want their cake so they can eat it too and believe that they are entitled to have a development team do as they say. It's pathetic to be honest.

I personally love the fact that all the polls on social media that I've seen float around 90% in favor of Bannerlord which further supports Steam Reviews of a 9/10 (accurately) than a lousy 6/10 IGN review that probably spent less than 3 days in making said review when Steam has spent 2.5 years.

Significant and reliable facts.

Bannerlord still delivers ME a fun and exciting experience each and everytime. How can any of ALL OF YOU complain about the joy I get? If you ask me, MOST PEOPLE WHO DONT AGREE WITH ME who are "upset" with TaleWorlds want their cake so they can eat it too and believe that they are entitled to have a development team do as they say. It's pathetic to be honest.
FTFY. Yes pathetic indeed. Hard for you to fathom that many people get no joy from the game and it feels like a poorly designed endless grindfest. 90% of Most People agree with ME on that.

I just wikipedia TaleWorlds and Warhorse Studios (the Indie Developer of Kingdom Come Deliverance).

Turns out, Warhorse has more employees than TaleWorlds by about 33%.

I think people assume TaleWorlds is a Triple A company with hundreds of developers on their team. Yesterday I was reading an article that claimed 90+ for Bannerlord development. That's not very many at all and honestly very impressive that so few of people were able to develop this game throughout Early Access in only 2.5 years plus another almost 10 since original announcement. Most Triple A games these days take 5-7 years of development with over 10x the man power and resources.

Anywho, point is, 6/10 is a shady review for a game that delivers hundreds and hundreds of hours in it's Vanilla format then another several hundred of hours per overhaul mod. I think fair is 7.5/10 or 8/10 simply because yes, Bannerlord is missing some pretty basic quality of life mechanics and does have some bugs (thankfully not game breaking like so many of these untested Triple A company releases) and probably the most important, the wack AI. However, given all those issues I just mentioned, Bannerlord still delivers us a fun and exciting experience each and everytime. How can any of us complain about the joy we get? If you ask me, most people who are "upset" with TaleWorlds want their cake so they can eat it too and believe that they are entitled to have a development team do as they say. It's pathetic to be honest.

I personally love the fact that all the polls on social media that I've seen float around 90% in favor of Bannerlord which further supports Steam Reviews of a 9/10 (accurately) than a lousy 6/10 IGN review that probably spent less than 3 days in making said review when Steam has spent 2.5 years.

Significant and reliable facts.
I mean why does it really matter though, the numbers are really arbitrary anyways. I for example think that anything below 5 points is varying degrees of hot garbage, and from 5 and onwards my ratings would go as playable, ok, good, great, excellent and masterpiece respectively. I would give BL a 7/10 for example. I think his review is respectable and scoring is fair, what might not be as fair is crappy games' scores being unreasonably inflated by IGN (potentially due to not so ethical reasons), therefore making BL seem worse than it currently is (I mean would most people honestly give Pokemon Sword and Shield a 9.3/10 ?).

That ign reviewer may think that a 5/10 is average and 6/10 is decently respectable, if he really liked battles and had been more forgiving about the lacking systems, and could have given the game a 9/10. But he may prefer more strategic and diplomacy based games in general and may have given a 6/10 due to the lacking systems prohibiting his enjoyment. Hell, a point based system is inherently very inconsistent; In the UK, you get the highest certification if your GPA is over 70%, whereas this number is probably 85-90% in other countries.

TL, DR: If you like or hate the game, it's fine, reviews are all subjective, points are also subjective.

Last edited:
FTFY. Yes pathetic indeed. Hard for you to fathom that many people get no joy from the game and it feels like a poorly designed endless grindfest. 90% of Most People agree with ME on that.
You keep saying many when it's less than .01%. There is quite literally less than 300 of you who are upset with TaleWorlds. Kinda insignificant.

That's like saying 1,000,000 people is a lot of people in a world with 8,000,000,000

Lastly; every single one of your posts on this thread is your belittling someone else's comment. There's no constructive criticism what so ever, no facts being supported by anything just opinions being forced as if they were factual, and all in all there's no reason for your participation if you hate TaleWorlds and Bannerlord so much, not to mention the community itself. Good day sir.

Last edited:
I love this game, with Mods, but I can't understand the developers' intention, half of the work they did with the game, the scenarios, nobody uses it, I don't remember walking in a city or village anymore. Now even the trade has gone down, before I still walked around Calardia selling horses, it was the only profitable commercial area, now nobody wants horses either. I don't even know what to do in the game anymore, I kill looters, seeing the loot and little else. I even open a post about this trade setback but seems not be a general issue.

I love this game, with Mods, but I can't understand the developers' intention, half of the work they did with the game, the scenarios, nobody uses it, I don't remember walking in a city or village anymore. Now even the trade has gone down, before I still walked around Calardia selling horses, it was the only profitable commercial area, now nobody wants horses either. I don't even know what to do in the game anymore, I kill looters, seeing the loot and little else. I even open a post about this trade setback but seems not be a general issue.
Check out flesson19 on YouTube about trade. It's still very much part of the game.

We tried to tell Taleworlds.... and in the end, their arrogance has cost them. If they had just made this game slightly better than a (moderately-modded) Warband ... like we BEGGED them to again and again... then it could have been different.

Maybe now they will realise that they took a great series ... and made a game that is average at best.

Even the corporate reviewers have seen through Taleworlds' B.S.

Hardly ever do I say this... but well-done IGN.

Last edited:
Sound the klaxons! We need some more of the Taleworlds defense brigade to get in here fast!

No numerical values to be argued over, but another honest review:

Extremely accurate & well written review, I completely agree with the writer. It seems like she played the game decently in-depth (which game journos unfortunately don't always do) and is apparently familiar with Warband to reach the same conclusions as most of us already have. It's also much better that she just wrote about the pros & cons of the game in detail rather than giving an arbitrary score.

Last edited:
Sound the klaxons! We need some more of the Taleworlds defense brigade to get in here fast!

No numerical values to be argued over, but another honest review:

Pretty scathing review from RPS.

"I still enjoy Bannerlord because there's nothing else doing those open world battles. But almost everything else is a robotic, shallow grind offering no surprises, with a plethora of complaints that early access is supposed to iron out. You can ignore a lot of it, which only highlights how irrelevant it is, and though there are a lot more things going on, you have to provide your own motivation, because everyone's behaviour is basically the same, and everything feels like a missed opportunity"

That pretty much sums up my feelings right there. The reviewers are saying the same things we've been saying all along, but I'm guessing it carries a lot more weight coming from official game outlets. I hope Taleworlds is listening.

Pretty scathing review from RPS.

"I still enjoy Bannerlord because there's nothing else doing those open world battles. But almost everything else is a robotic, shallow grind offering no surprises, with a plethora of complaints that early access is supposed to iron out. You can ignore a lot of it, which only highlights how irrelevant it is, and though there are a lot more things going on, you have to provide your own motivation, because everyone's behaviour is basically the same, and everything feels like a missed opportunity"

That pretty much sums up my feelings right there. The reviewers are saying the same things we've been saying all along, but I'm guessing it carries a lot more weight coming from official game outlets. I hope Taleworlds is listening.
Yes, the truth hurts.

I'd say that's a very fair review, and basically same score I'd have to give.

Quality of IGN's reviews varies greatly on the reviewer, some are good, most are bad, but it's clear the reviewer here has put time into the game, isn't doing simple first impressions, and has actually played some quality games before. (Also not kissing posterior to keep getting early review copies, cause earliest MB3 comes out is 2030)

Bannerlord's actual combat is fun, and has decent amount of depth. I'll always give it that. The rest of the game? Pretty much a trainwreck. World map still has issues and some real low quality elements. Quests are laughably simple errands with terribly balanced rewards. The main quest? Tedious if not dull, decent enough as a tutorial I guess, but the later part is guaranteed to be no fun. Just bad and uninteresting storytelling, in most other RPGs this would be a "bad" side quest.

Can't agree more about the NPCs. What's the point of talking to them, when it's little more than a menu, and they still make goofy faces? It should not be hard to create good dialogue, just get a writer add in some conditions - not like recording 1000s of voice over lines for something like GTA or RDR. Seriously ancient dusty RPGs that were heavily constrained by technical limitations of the time are LEAGUES better written than this. And I don't expect Shakespeare or anything profound in M&B, but jeezus at least run the dialogue in this game through spellcheck/grammarly.

People giving this game 8/10s clearly haven't tried leveling up to 300 Medicine or Trade. Or Smithing. Yeah at first it's neat, look at all the customization, but you can't mass produce an item or charcoal. Instead you have to *click click click* til you give yourself carpel tunnel. And then the blade isn't attached to the shaft half the time LOL

Also I would not praise a game that should have a thriving MP scene, but not only suffers from poor design, but doesn't even have reliable servers. Outside of custom servers, MP is as far as I can tell dead.

I get it. Playing Bannerlord for the first time is like discovering a massive uncharted lake. There must be some great treasure, tons of fish, or the Loch Ness at it's depths! Except this "great lake" is just a very wide uninhabited 3 foot deep puddle. If someone actually makes it to Fief/Kingdom management, when it's clear there's no point to marrying your sister off to the King's son, or having kids, etc. It becomes all too clear how much of a sham the game is.

I don't hate Bannelord, nor am I bored of it (if I'm bored I simply move on to more interesting things). I am frustrated the developer seems unwilling or unable to add anything of real value leaving the game in what's a perpetual unfinished state. To those defending the game and praising it's value; how does it hurt you, your game experience, if us "whiners", get something like messengers? Or actual diplomacy? Or you know NPCs that are more then planks of wood?

No one's asking to to remove hideouts, or loot, or armies. Some of us just expect basic things like weather and rain from a game coming out in the 2020s and aren't quite so block-headed to think adding rain/cloud textures is the equivalent of flying to the moon.

Shouldn't need mods to make a game playable; mods are supposed to be for when you're bored/want something new. Mods for a game like Bannerlord should mostly be adding different time periods or settings, not adding things in like actual attack orders, party management, etc.

You keep saying many when it's less than .01%. There is quite literally less than 300 of you who are upset with TaleWorlds. Kinda insignificant.
Literally? Literally?

Google that word and tell me if you still stand by what you wrote.

I've been kicking around this forum since 2005, and attitudes started shifting noticeably around 2016/2017 when EA deadlines were missed and TW kept quiet. It wasn't a complete or extreme shift, but prior to that the general view of TW was positive. From 2005 to 2010 you would see Armagan posting on the forum--replying to suggestion threads mainly--interfacing with the people who played his game. The result of direct communication to the guy was big issues were identified and fixed in good time, you could see new features & mechanics go from idea to implementation, and everyone was appreciative of that involvement. We got Warband out of it, and Warband is why so many people are here.

The shift in 2016/17 was from a relationship of trust & mutual respect to one more like what you have with a larger, mainstream studio. Which makes sense, because they became a larger studio. The trust wasn't as strong, the mutual respect faded when what news did come out was announcements of loved features being reworked or replaced. We dug in and waited on the slow trickle of news.

At the tail-end of 2020, the closed MP beta started before EA launch. A bunch of core players through the years from both sides of the Atlantic were invited to put the multiplayer through its paces: after all, who better to find the weaknesses in the game's core features (combat) than the people who had been competing in Warband for years? Finding bugs, exploits, and imbalances is part of sharpening that competitive edge. Surely their feedback would be meaningful to TW and productive for the game they were all looking forward to for years.

It wasn't.

Fundamental issues were quickly identified, but suggestions for rectifying them were shut down when it was made very clear that some things were untouchable. The MP class system is the big one. It was hugely unpopular in the beta, was the target of the largest portion of feedback, and to this day remains fundamentally unchanged. It's the root of many balancing problems and is awkward or even incompatible with certain game modes, yet it is everpresent.

How that particular issue was handled is representative of how many others since have been handled. That's why "the vision" is an inside joke here. "The vision" is the driving force behind Bannerlord, but in Warband it was the boss man himself and his willingness to work with the people who loved his product. The mutual respect was gone.

EA starts, and we go through two and a half years of "it's broken but it's EA, they have time to fix it." If it wasn't for the launch-day banner on the Steam store, I would say we're still in that phase. So much work still needs to be done to get the game into a true releasable state, work which has been piling up since late 2019 faster than it has been completed. What you were sold is not what was delivered, and it's anyone's guess how much time will pass before it is. The trust is gone.

Those core players from the beta, from Warband, from the old modding scene, they were upset. They didn't stop existing, they just left.

Last edited:
3b53a21c78699f73ce1427efcd60b011.jpg
Got something I'm supposed to deliver, your hands only! *creepy eye contact*
Lmao, we warned Taleworlds about their horrible dialog and lifeless NPCs, they chose not to listen.
well, they still have some pretty massive threads and replies from many of us basically drawing how to fix the game - up to them now.

Back
Top Bottom