Attack while blocking

Users who are viewing this thread

Is it possible to mod in attacking while blocking? Like in the game elden ring where you can attack with a spear while blocking (this could make spears actually useful too imo).

The closest thing there is to that is a chamber block, which basically knocks the enemy's attack away with your preparation to swing/thrust. Like let's say you're holding a 2-handed sword. If the enemy's swinging from your right and your sword is on your left, you can swing right and if you time it right, while you're pulling your weapon back for a right swing, you'll get a purple notification that says Chamber Blocked!. The timing would probably be even tougher for a spear than a swinging weapon though, plus you could only do it in the up or down directions I wager.

Attack while blocking you mean like a parry? Imho this would be way over powered. I can only imagine the screams of rage from players if this happens to them.
nope it wouldn't, as long as TW applied the appropriate mechanics revolving around it, like hooking shields with Axes, swords on mordhau stance, and properly made hitbox detection (if you see a gap in a raised shield and attack the gap it should hit - as is there's a invisible mini-wall and you often hit solid air). If they wen't full realistic on it (which would make for a great combat mechanic), you'd also be able to sometimes displace shields when someone's blocking with aimed attacks at the edges, AI would also coordinate to attack from 2 directions someone who's blocking. But that would prove incredibly difficult to implement in a massive battle video-game.

Kicking's also another way to open a shielded guard, but both WB and BL kicks are crap slow-mo with even worse aim (all other alternative attacks like pommel strikes and shield bashes can be real-time redirected while kick locks you in place and only hits the exact spot you were aiming when you used it)

I read the op’s question as attacking while holding block. Like poking with a spear in a shieldwall, not doing much damage, but being protected during the attack animation.

It will be interesting to see how this would work out, not sure it will be positive. But it would give spears more utility and make shield hitpoints more important.
Another benefit could be that formations and movement on the battlefield become more important

The first good step would be to make shields block attacks passively when you are not in defense animation, right now shields are ghosts with no hitbox when they are not in defense animation.

I read the op’s question as attacking while holding block. Like poking with a spear in a shieldwall, not doing much damage, but being protected during the attack animation.

It will be interesting to see how this would work out, not sure it will be positive. But it would give spears more utility and make shield hitpoints more important.
Another benefit could be that formations and movement on the battlefield become more important
I wanted this since Warband, couldn't be done there because of engine limitations, let's hope that, AT BARE MINIMUM, the same limitations aren't in Bannerlord. That way we at least have hopes that someone's going to mod it in.

Wow I never realized that. Do you know if that holds true for older M&B titles?
No idea. We managed to make kind of fix but it is extremely cluncky. With combat module, shields on the back actually block attacks, so technically if shield on back is set to be on your hand exactly the same way as regular shield it will block attacks passively. You can make this shield on the "back" invisible. However this approach takes one weapon slot from infantry (so you cannot have infantry with spear + sword + shield + javelin for example) and these shields dont take damage (because shields on back take no damage), also you migFinally, it would be even more clunky for the player. So we never implemented it even though we had functional hand positions for shields on back, invisible textures etc.

No idea. We managed to make kind of fix but it is extremely cluncky. With combat module, shields on the back actually block attacks, so technically if shield on back is set to be on your hand exactly the same way as regular shield it will block attacks passively. You can make this shield on the "back" invisible. However this approach takes one weapon slot from infantry (so you cannot have infantry with spear + sword + shield + javelin for example) and these shields dont take damage (because shields on back take no damage), also you migFinally, it would be even more clunky for the player. So we never implemented it even though we had functional hand positions for shields on back, invisible textures etc.
might be something relevant to request for the base game to support... Though I'm not sure how tf we can reach TW's to push such a suggestion (demand really)

We have a new one here. OP has joined the elite group here on the forum.

This is actually child's play. I'm a man that gives credit where its due. However, others are not the same. So why bother to share insight. I'll just leave the comment here to itch people's curiosity. Hopefully, they'll find the way. Have a good day. Moving on to the next topic.

The first good step would be to make shields block attacks passively when you are not in defense animation, right now shields are ghosts with no hitbox when they are not in defense animation.
That's kinda good, I really would hate a shield blocking a random attack, because of weird animation. Already hate how RBM shield is blocking my side swing (fighting enemy two hander wielding sturgian, I side swing him with my two handed axe. His shield on his back fully stops it. Fun...)
Shields for sure should have more usage than parry/blocking. Some well done passive defense would be great, however they already do so for projectiles afaik. Maybe a passive block would disarm the shield (because of force or deal some damage through the block due to un-prepared hand).

That's kinda good, I really would hate a shield blocking a random attack, because of weird animation. Already hate how RBM shield is blocking my side swing (fighting enemy two hander wielding sturgian, I side swing him with my two handed axe. His shield on his back fully stops it. Fun...)
Shields for sure should have more usage than parry/blocking. Some well done passive defense would be great, however they already do so for projectiles afaik. Maybe a passive block would disarm the shield (because of force or deal some damage through the block due to un-prepared hand).
Obviously some more advanced system along with it would be nice, probably some sort of stamina. You can attack while blocking, but if they hit you while doing that you lose 100 or 200 % more stamina than with regular defensive block etc.
might be something relevant to request for the base game to support... Though I'm not sure how tf we can reach TW's to push such a suggestion (demand really)
We already asked the devs about it multiple times along with many other features such as control over npc weapons, control over couching etc. Devs either do not want or cannot give access to these parts of the code.

That would have to be countered with some mechanic that allows you to get around shields. Because even now, it gets annoying to face a bunch of infantry who are just holding their shields out, knowing it'll take 30 hits on each of them. The only thing you have is the small window while they attack, if they could defend during that as well it would just be a passive camper's wet dream.

Their attack damage would be reduced because they wouldn't be able to use their hole body for the attack.
this 'camping' would give a greater importants to shock infantry (Line Breakers). to break through.
If shield hitpoints are to high, this might have to be reduced.
maybe a high or a low block would give some openings for counters.

as I said, I am not sure if the implementation would be fun or positive, but I would like to try it out.
It seems more realistic, As holding you shield up in a frontline would definitely be something I would do.

Would be awesome!

But wouldn´t it need "a lot of " cpu power to make those "checks"? I could imagine performance issues on lower/midrange pcs/consoles with that? Or won´t it really matter performance wise?

Obviously some more advanced system along with it would be nice, probably some sort of stamina. You can attack while blocking, but if they hit you while doing that you lose 100 or 200 % more stamina than with regular defensive block etc.

We already asked the devs about it multiple times along with many other features such as control over npc weapons, control over couching etc. Devs either do not want or cannot give access to these parts of the code.
xhpk1.jpg

Would be awesome!

But wouldn´t it need "a lot of " cpu power to make those "checks"? I could imagine performance issues on lower/midrange pcs/consoles with that? Or won´t it really matter performance wise?

xhpk1.jpg
Why do you think it would be more cpu demanding than already existing shield blocking when you hold block (the answer is it would not).

Wow I never realized that. Do you know if that holds true for older M&B titles?

I don't remember whether it's a thing in Bannerlord or not, since I haven't touched that game in a while, but I know for a fact that shields in Warband absolutely do block projectiles passively. It's only incoming melee attacks that don't get blocked passively, which makes me think that it was made that way intentionally by the devs.

Back
Top Bottom