I wonder how Turkey's suffering economy is affecting the development of this game?

Users who are viewing this thread

I aggregate diverse forum opinions and try to form an objective view, which has nothing to do with trolling for one side or the other. If anything, it proves I have good judgment for not buying into poor EA offerings unlike some other people. :smile:
Your views on Bannerlord being inferior to Warband are subjective. You being objective is as old of a joke as anything.
I have stats to back up my claims:
See in that thread, a majority of voters currently favor Bannerlord before Warband. So you only represent a minority, @MadVader

Perhaps the hardcore Warband fans are not visiting frequently the Bannerlord section of the forum and even less participate in a poll there. I could also post a poll in the Warband modding section about if people favour to mod Warband or Bannerlord, wouldn't be hard to guess the result :iamamoron:
And it's not even a clear result there, you have currently 51,9 % to 48,1 %, with seven votes difference :party:

Perhaps the hardcore Warband fans are not visiting frequently the Bannerlord section of the forum and even less participate in a poll there. I could also post a poll in the Warband modding section about if people favour to mod Warband or Bannerlord, wouldn't be hard to guess the result :iamamoron:
This entire forum is pretty negative towards BL. Ngl, when that poll was made, I was actually shocked that a lot of people preferred the Vanilla BL game to WB.

And of course hardcore WB fans would dislike that game less, however they make up a minority of the community at large. A hardcore WB fan does not really represent the average player of M&B.

And of course hardcore WB fans would dislike that game less, however they make up a minority of the community at large. A hardcore WB fan does not really represent the average player of M&B.
True, the average player of M&B writes Steam reviews like "awesome" and "great potential". THEY ARE NOT WORTHY.

This entire forum is pretty negative towards BL. Ngl, when that poll was made, I was actually shocked that a lot of people preferred the Vanilla BL game to WB.
Currently, there are significant problems with Bannerlord's multiplayer. The majority of forum multiplayers voted against Bannerlord, in favour of Warband, for fairly obvious reasons. Then there's the conservative hardcore who haven't bought BL, but voted anyway.

True, the average player of M&B writes Steam reviews like "awesome" and "great potential". THEY ARE NOT WORTHY.
Ok MadVader.
Currently, there are significant problems with Bannerlord's multiplayer. The majority of forum multiplayers voted against Bannerlord, in favour of Warband, for fairly obvious reasons. Then there's the conservative hardcore who haven't bought BL, but voted anyway.
Yeah, I can't deny that there are issues, and I can see why there are a lot of people who don't harbor the best feelings towards the game. However, the forum as a whole is pretty geared more towards anti-BL rather then pro-BL, meaning to an extent there is a bit of an echo chamber at times.

Pretty sure they said something about this a few months ago. Saying that the economic brouhaha and covid really threw a wrench in their gears. Was it mexxico? I forgot.

What I tried to say at that topic was not about economy. Problem here is a bit different. Current bad economy is only result of bad decisions taken previously and economy was not that bad until start of 2020s. But what will happen was clear to ones who want to see. This collapse was obvious, only problem was we could not tell situation to supporters of current government here, we warned them but they did not care, so we could not avoid this. Now even supporters of current government now care because buying power of their wage is 50% reduced in last 2 years.

You know Turkey changed into a not democratic country in last 20 years slowly, of course we were not a good sample of a democratic country 20 years before too but things were a bit better at least we had better freedom in media and justice, governments were changing if things go bad. You can see our bad current score in different studies (https://freedomhouse.org/countries/freedom-world/scores).

What I tried to say at that topic 8-9 months ago was these changes in our country effected us badly. Our engineers / doctors which are expert at their areas are moving EU zone and USA every day, because there is better systems there. They care their families and their future. This of course reduces the quality of products we produce. Also second effect is while we are working we always also think about / follow how things go in politics, everyday new bad decisions are taken. This is not normal. We should think about different hobbies books arts music movies etc. Not politics everyday. We follow news read things, think about what we can do to save our country, these also reduces our work efficiency. At least this was true for me, maybe some workers do not effected from this that bad, maybe some do not care much. But I was always concerned about change at my country and their bad results. I tried to avoid this somehow but you know we are all only one person and things a person can do is limited in that kind of big problems. I remember before 2017 election I walked hundreds of kilometers to post some informative stickers to warn people even in work hours, that election is lost 51.5% vs 48.5% unfortunately. If you do something here visible you can end up in a jail also even it is low probability.

Of course these are not excuses for slow development we had, I just try to tell you situation.

About economic results of current situation, our money Turkish Liras lost 50% of its value aganist gold / euro / $ average in last 1-2 years. Turkish people was holding 60% of thier bank investments in Turkish Liras (TRY) 2-3 years ago now this ratio is 37% and this ratio consequently reduces. It is big risk holding any investment in Turkish Liras because in one month it can lose 20% of its value so I do not think company or anyone in company hold money in Turkish Liras because current interest ratio is only 16% / year while inflation is about 40% (according to government inflation is 21% but nobody believes their numbers, free works show this ratio is about 40%). So I do not think this economical collapse effects company badly because they pay workers in Turkish Liras but they earn in Euros / $. Also I think companies like Taleworlds consequently increases wages of developers (as TRYs) when TRY lost value because otherwise they lose their workers to foreign compaines. My brother is also working in another gaming company in Turkey (they develop mobile games) and his wages also increased several times in last 1 year. So these companies try to save buying power of their developers. I do not think workers of Taleworlds effected badly from this collapse but people's morale is not good of course, because you know things are going bad but you cannot avoid it before happen because media always make propaganda (they get very profitable business offers from government so both sides (governement & media) win, also some media is directly owned by governement).

So what will happen? There will be elections in 2023 or early elections in 2022 (50% - 50% imo). If opposition can win aganist Erdogan I think things will be better after that. Turkey can involve into a democratic country again because I believe our potential is enough for that, people are more educated than other similar not democratic countries / also god thank we do not have oil so we need to create technology / business to stay stable.

Opposition's current support is 60% aganist Erdogan's 40% (2-3 years ago it was 50% - 50%) but they are divided into different parties (CHP 25%, IYIP 15%, HDP 12%, DEVA 5% others 3%). I hope they come together and win. You can also see change of Erdogan's acceptance until October/2021 in this graph () orange : support, navy : not support. Of course there is also a risk during elections can happen big freuds if Erdogan understands he will lose (which is not happened in Turkish history before, only small 1-2%s are effected maybe but Erdogan can try this first time in history) but there are too many opposition supporters here and there will be organisations to prevent it so we will do whatever needed to stop freuds. People care voting too much here and average attandance to elections are 85% very high compared to USA/EU elections, maybe because you are in low risk and do not care politics much but results of elections effect us much. So next one year will be so dense and critical here. If we can success there will a change to better and there will be better products produced in Turkish companies included gaming industry in future. Otherwise I cannot advice you to buy Turkish products. I believe we can success this but still risks are too high. I will wait until change of government to create my own business also. I do not want to help current government somehow even it is very small. Next elections are so critical, the most important in our history. If we cannot success Turkey will go worse and hopes will be collapsed and more and more educated people left here.

I hope these explanations helps you understand situation a bit. Have a good day all.

Last edited:
TaleWorlds profits more not less. Cheaper workers and you buy more w that lovely USD. Which is also massively inflating but not nearly as much. Maybe i go on Turkey vacation soon. The Turkish currency symbol is TRY.. Try haaadah TW! Hopefully thibgs improve for Turkish people. TaleWorld’s financial situation should only be improved by this turmoil however.

Last edited:
If I were the owner of the company personally, I would sell everything as it is. SEGA , Blizzard, Microsoft
It's crazy to think that companies like you are developing this game.

like the total war series, play multiplayer 3D campaign map but like your wartime mb captain mod
I'm over thirty, ı would give my ten years to a game like this

What I tried to say at that topic was not about economy. Problem here is a bit different. Current bad economy is only result of bad decisions taken previously and economy was not that bad until start of 2020s. But what will happen was clear to ones who want to see. This collapse was obvious, only problem was we could not tell situation to supporters of current government here, we warned them but they did not care, so we could not avoid this. Now even supporters of current government now care because buying power of their wage is 50% reduced in last 2 years.

You know Turkey changed into a not democratic country in last 20 years slowly, of course we were not a democratic country 20 years before too but things were a bit better at least we had better freedom in media and justice you can see this change in different studies (https://freedomhouse.org/countries/freedom-world/scores).

What I tried to say at that topic 8-9 months ago was these changes in our country effected us badly. Our engineers / doctors which are expert at their areas are moving EU zone and USA every day, because there is better systems at there. This of course reduces the quality of products we produce. Also second effect is while we are working we always also wonder how things go in politics, everyday new bad decisions are taken. We follow news read things, think about what we can do, these are also reduces our work efficiency. At least this was true for me, maybe some workers do not effected from this that bad. But I was always concerned about change at my country and their bad results. I tried to avoid this somehow but you know we are only one person and things a person can do is limited. If you do something here visible you can end up in a jail also even it is low probability.

Of course these are not excuses, I just try to tell you situation.

About economic results of current situation, our money Turkish Liras lost 50% of its value aganist gold / euro / $ average in last 1-2 years. Turkish people was holding 60% of thier investments in Turkish Liras 2-3 years ago now this ratio is 37% and this ratio consequently reduces. It is big risk holding any investment in Turkish Liras because in one month it can lose 20% of its value so I do not think company or anyone in company hold money in Turkish Liras because current interest ratio is only 16% / year while inflation is about 40% (according to government inflation is 21% but nobody believes their numbers, free works show this ratio is about 40%). So I do not think this economical collapse effects company badly because they pay workers in Turkish Liras but they earn in Euros / $. Also I think companies like Taleworlds consequently increases wages of developers which is in Turkish Liras when Lira lost value because otherwise they lose their workers to foreign compaines. My brother is also working in another gaming company in Turkey (they develop mobile games) and his wages also increased several times in last 1 year. So these companies try to save buying power of their developers. I do not think workers of Taleworlds effected badly from this collapse but people's morale is not good of course, because you know things are going bad but you cannot avoid it before it happen because media always make propaganda (they get very profitable business offers from government so both sides (governement & media) win, also some media is directly owned by governement).

So what will happen? There will be elections in 2023 or early elections in 2022 (50% - 50% imo). If opposition can win aganist Erdogan I think things will be better after that. Turkey can involve into a democratic country again because I believe our potential is ok for that, people are more educated than other similar not democratic countries / also god thank we do not have oil so we need to create technology / business to stay stable. Opposition's current support is 60% aganist Erdogan's 40% (2-3 years ago it was 50% - 50%) but they are divided into different parties (CHP 25%, IYIP 15%, HDP 12%, DEVA 4%, others 4%). I hope they come together and win. You can also see change of Erdogan's acceptance until October/2021 in this graph () orange : support, navy : not support. Of course there is also a risk during elections can happen big freuds if Erdogan understands he will lose (which is not happened in Turkish history before, only small 1-2%s are effected maybe but Erdogan can try this first time in history) but there are too many opposition supporters here so we will do whatever needed to stop freuds. People care voting too much here and average attandance to votings are 85%. So next one year will be so dense and critical here. If we can success there will be better products produced in Turkish companies included gaming industry in future. I believe we can success but still risks are too high. I will wait until change of government to create my own business also. I do not want to help current government somehow. Next elections are so critical, the most important in our history. If we cannot success Turkey will go worse and hopes will be collapsed.

I hope these explanations helps you understand situation a bit. Have a good day all.

Thanks for this detailed explanation!

TaleWorlds profits more not less. Cheaper workers and you buy more w that lovely USD. Which is also massively inflating but not nearly as much. Maybe i go on Turkey vacation soon. The Turkish currency symbol is TRY.. Try haaadah TW! Hopefully thibgs improve for Turkish people. TaleWorld’s financial situation should only be improved by this turmoil however.
Profits becomes useless when your money turns into monopoly money. It's the purchasing power that matters. I'm a developer (not a game dev) that went to a foreign country in 2019 because I was concerned about the direction the country was heading in. Even in 2019, the raises in salary I was getting was not enough to keep up with the inflation so my purchasing power was constantly going down. A lot of my class mates from university are in a similar situation. Either they went abroad or they are trying to.

It's difficult for companies to find good talent so this brain drain is going to hurt the country badly in the long term. When a different ruling party takes power, things can change for the better but it will take years. A lot of necessary institutions of the republic has been eroded and education quality has gone down. You can't fix these things with 1 election.

That's exactly what Turkey looks like from a (safe) distance. Even if the next election is won by more rational and democratic forces, they can fix only the most important issues and not the damage to institutions.
And there's no guarantee another would-be dictator won't win in the election after that. If people are scared for their future, they vote for strongmen that claim they have all the answers. The less educated they are, the easier it is to lie to them.

Now Taleworlds already had problems hiring talent at the required level, judging by their year old job ads. With the inflation and economic uncertainty, they would have problems keeping staff, and the first ones to leave Turkey would be the foreigners from Europe, who have better places to be, and these are some key development team members. Experienced Turks in the team, like other tech people in Turkey, would also consider their options about emigration to a better place and many of them are fed up with Erdogan's long rule.
One thing won't change for Taleworlds and that's the yearly hordes of interns that are looking for their first stepping stone on their way to a better place. Allow these access to the code, and you get constant waves of bugs. Every time TW runs into problems and delays I imagine some interns ineffectively sweating over some problem they created, but that's just a comforting image, as the truth may be more brutal.

That's exactly what Turkey looks like from a (safe) distance. Even if the next election is won by more rational and democratic forces, they can fix only the most important issues and not the damage to institutions.
And there's no guarantee another would-be dictator won't win in the election after that. If people are scared for their future, they vote for strongmen that claim they have all the answers. The less educated they are, the easier it is to lie to them.

Now Taleworlds already had problems hiring talent at the required level, judging by their year old job ads. With the inflation and economic uncertainty, they would have problems keeping staff, and the first ones to leave Turkey would be the foreigners from Europe, who have better places to be, and these are some key development team members. Experienced Turks in the team, like other tech people in Turkey, would also consider their options about emigration to a better place and many of them are fed up with Erdogan's long rule.
One thing won't change for Taleworlds and that's the yearly hordes of interns that are looking for their first stepping stone on their way to a better place. Allow these access to the code, and you get constant waves of bugs. Every time TW runs into problems and delays I imagine some interns ineffectively sweating over some problem they created, but that's just a comforting image, as the truth may be more brutal.
TW situation becoming more clear.

Greetings to you @mexxico

Please let me know if/when you´re developing your own game. You´re still missed here in my opinion, all the work you did and all the time you´ve invested into "us" in your ****ing spare time, legend!

But would the Bannerlord development has been really different without this crisis in Turkey?

I wish you all and your family all the best for the future.

Greetings to you @mexxico

Please let me know if/when you´re developing your own game. You´re still missed here in my opinion, all the work you did and all the time you´ve invested into "us" in your ****ing spare time, legend!

But would the Bannerlord development has been really different without this crisis in Turkey?

I wish you all and your family all the best for the future.
Hello @MostBlunted, I hope you are fine. I am happy you are not getting bans anymore for long time.

This is a long term crisis. Not only economical as I explained at previous post. technological / imaginative success is strongly related to how major systems work at that country (justice, education, health, press, etc). Thats why most of people use EU/USA/Japan cars, play games of companies of these countries or watch movies / tv series of again same countries. So quality of products of our all technology companies 100% get effected from this long term problem. First M&B and Warband are developed at 2006-2010 period and things were better thesedays, Turkey was in direction of EU at these years for example different than today. Just an example, maybe if my old boss born 10 years later he would go abroad to work after university so there would not be M&B series. But of course these problems I mentioned are only side effect. I do not say there won’t be any imaginative / technological success at not democratic / semi democratic countries of course. There are still several good Iran movies created for example, at Turkey we can still create good quality games of course. But probability of creating good stuff reduces if systems get broken and companies cannot use their potential fully. For example Turkey try to produce its own electricity car currently but imo odds are not good for creating success.

But again I want to underline these are only side effects. Every company is different and there still can be new success stories even country suffer from these problems I mentioned, but probability reduces. If there is a problem at product of any company we should criticize company first of course.

Last edited:

You know Turkey changed into a not democratic country in last 20 years slowly, of course we were not a good sample of a democratic country 20 years before too but things were a bit better at least we had better freedom in media and justice, governments were changing if things go bad. You can see our bad current score in different studies (https://freedomhouse.org/countries/freedom-world/scores).

What I tried to say at that topic 8-9 months ago was these changes in our country effected us badly. Our engineers / doctors which are expert at their areas are moving EU zone and USA every day, because there is better systems there. They care their families and their future. This of course reduces the quality of products we produce. Also second effect is while we are working we always also think about / follow how things go in politics, everyday new bad decisions are taken. This is not normal. We should think about different hobbies books arts music movies etc. Not politics everyday. We follow news read things, think about what we can do to save our country, these also reduces our work efficiency. At least this was true for me, maybe some workers do not effected from this that bad, maybe some do not care much. But I was always concerned about change at my country and their bad results. I tried to avoid this somehow but you know we are all only one person and things a person can do is limited in that kind of big problems. I remember before 2017 election I walked hundreds of kilometers to post some informative stickers to warn people even in work hours, that election is lost 51.5% vs 48.5% unfortunately. If you do something here visible you can end up in a jail also even it is low probability.

Of course these are not excuses for slow development we had, I just try to tell you situation.

About economic results of current situation, our money Turkish Liras lost 50% of its value aganist gold / euro / $ average in last 1-2 years. Turkish people was holding 60% of thier bank investments in Turkish Liras (TRY) 2-3 years ago now this ratio is 37% and this ratio consequently reduces. It is big risk holding any investment in Turkish Liras because in one month it can lose 20% of its value so I do not think company or anyone in company hold money in Turkish Liras because current interest ratio is only 16% / year while inflation is about 40% (according to government inflation is 21% but nobody believes their numbers, free works show this ratio is about 40%). So I do not think this economical collapse effects company badly because they pay workers in Turkish Liras but they earn in Euros / $. Also I think companies like Taleworlds consequently increases wages of developers (as TRYs) when TRY lost value because otherwise they lose their workers to foreign compaines. My brother is also working in another gaming company in Turkey (they develop mobile games) and his wages also increased several times in last 1 year. So these companies try to save buying power of their developers. I do not think workers of Taleworlds effected badly from this collapse but people's morale is not good of course, because you know things are going bad but you cannot avoid it before happen because media always make propaganda (they get very profitable business offers from government so both sides (governement & media) win, also some media is directly owned by governement).

So what will happen? There will be elections in 2023 or early elections in 2022 (50% - 50% imo). If opposition can win aganist Erdogan I think things will be better after that. Turkey can involve into a democratic country again because I believe our potential is enough for that, people are more educated than other similar not democratic countries / also god thank we do not have oil so we need to create technology / business to stay stable.

Opposition's current support is 60% aganist Erdogan's 40% (2-3 years ago it was 50% - 50%) but they are divided into different parties (CHP 25%, IYIP 15%, HDP 12%, DEVA 5% others 3%). I hope they come together and win. You can also see change of Erdogan's acceptance until October/2021 in this graph () orange : support, navy : not support. Of course there is also a risk during elections can happen big freuds if Erdogan understands he will lose (which is not happened in Turkish history before, only small 1-2%s are effected maybe but Erdogan can try this first time in history) but there are too many opposition supporters here and there will be organisations to prevent it so we will do whatever needed to stop freuds. People care voting too much here and average attandance to elections are 85% very high compared to USA/EU elections, maybe because you are in low risk and do not care politics much but results of elections effect us much. So next one year will be so dense and critical here. If we can success there will a change to better and there will be better products produced in Turkish companies included gaming industry in future. Otherwise I cannot advice you to buy Turkish products. I believe we can success this but still risks are too high. I will wait until change of government to create my own business also. I do not want to help current government somehow even it is very small. Next elections are so critical, the most important in our history. If we cannot success Turkey will go worse and hopes will be collapsed and more and more educated people left here.

It turns out that you are not only an excellent developer and phenomenal administrator of the gaming community. You are also a responsible citizen of your country and just a caring person. Respect bro!

Back
Top Bottom