Bannerlord was a grift

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please people!
You are not seeing the bigger picture:
As soon as we convince ourselves and Tw that the game is "good enough" and ready for full release, sooner Tw is willing to throw custom servers to the community. No longer we have to see what game breaking stuff is implemented in future patches and community can go wild with bug fixing mods to multiplayer total overhaul mods.
Everybody wins!

I don't see how pushing TW's work onto the backs of modders whilst they still get paid is any solution, or a win. lol

By the Gods!!! This thread is still alive and active!?!? My word...

It may not get one of those "most viewed" or "top thread" badges, but it is now certainly:

Salt Bae Approved
giphy.gif

In order for it to actually be beneficial to modders or players though, the modding tools would at least have to be decent and as far as I know, the tools are still rather garbo. We're stuck with TW and a hopeless hope that they fix their game.

It's for the best and modders would relish an earlier start, despite making money for TW while they get nothing.
In order for it to actually be beneficial to modders or players though, the modding tools would at least have to be decent and as far as I know, the tools are still rather garbo. We're stuck with TW and a hopeless hope that they fix their game.
It’s honestly ridiculous. I have a theory though: perhaps it’s not arrogance of TW realizing everyone despised their game and just want mods. No. It’s that TW is super moralist. Since the attempted government coup back in 2017? (I think that’s correct), the TW staff has become ultra-moralist and have been reinvigorated to do the right thing. They have taken on such causes as Liberty, equality and fraternity, as well as abolitionism. Extremely bothered by the fact that modders are in effect slave labor, since they work and get no monetary compensation in return, TW is on a crusade to stop modding from happening because they will not let people become modding slaves! You must be paid to work!

checkmate, atheists.

This thread is where haters congregate like cattle before the slaughter, for hope will make your hatred despair itself and love shall shine through the depths of your inner demons. Like the seed of a flower you shall sprout from your muddy origins and appreciate the power of Soon. TaleWorlds will deliver a game so refined, so good, that even in the darkest of the hating wagons, there shall be smiles.

By the Gods!!! This thread is still alive and active!?!? My word...

It may not get one of those "most viewed" or "top thread" badges, but it is now certainly:

Salt Bae Approved
giphy.gif
This is too funny and accurate for this thread.

Salt for the salty!

A minor positive when you think about all the bad that it means otherwise, such as modders doing all their work for no profit or that TW would still get paid for **** work. lol
TW has already been paid. They were paid by April 15th, 2020, at absolute latest, and it is more likely they were paid the moment they released on March 30th.

Modders doing a bunch of work for free is the explicit appeal of M&B, to the point it is used in marketing. People here still get hyped for mods and there is at least one stooge running around these parts with his sig extolling the virtues of free mods vs. paying people for their time, effort and energy.

TW has already been paid. They were paid by April 15th, 2020, at absolute latest, and it is more likely they were paid the moment they released on March 30th.

Modders doing a bunch of work for free is the explicit appeal of M&B, to the point it is used in marketing. People here still get hyped for mods and there is at least one stooge running around these parts with his sig extolling the virtues of free mods vs. paying people for their time, effort and energy.

They make money off the game every time it sells...? :???:

EDIT

Well...after the 30% cut from Steam they do at least. lol

Last edited:
They make money off the game every time it sells...? :???:
Oh, whoops, I misremembered the date of the post. It was April 8th, at latest:
Finally, some of your math might be a bit off in guessing how much money Bannerlord has brought in so far as you are failing to factor in regional pricing, taxes, etc. However, even when you do factor those in, it is safe to say we are extremely pleased with the hugely successful launch and we are looking forward to supporting the game for many years to come.
TW had more than broken even by time he posted that. In other words, they had gotten paid. And sure, they keep getting money every time it sells but major releases have the overwhelming majority of their sales in the first month and virtually everyone who will ever own the game has bought it within a year. Everything after is a trickle -- except DLCs.

So they got the money already. We can either get the mods or not; no big difference to TW either way.

TW had more than broken even by time he posted that. In other words, they had gotten paid. And sure, they keep getting money every time it sells but major releases have the overwhelming majority of their sales in the first month and virtually everyone who will ever own the game has bought it within a year. Everything after is a trickle -- except DLCs.

So they got the money already. We can either get the mods or not; no big difference to TW either way.
I would say that they do, or rather should care about the game, as saying “well, we got the money for this game, screw em, we already got it.” Doesn’t really help when TW plans on making future games/wishes to continue being a studio. Neglecting everything afterwards will work for the original jolt of cash, but make your fans lose confidence. Which is what makes me wonder if Bannerlord is a grift. The lack of progress and slowness kind of makes me think they are doing the bare minimum to have the plausible deniability of it being a grift, hoping fans will take it and buy their next product. However, seeing the reaction to bannerlord, that isn’t the case. The people expect more and I doubt their next game will be a success unless they change course.

I would say that they do, or rather should care about the game, as saying “well, we got the money for this game, screw em, we already got it.” Doesn’t really help when TW plans on making future games/wishes to continue being a studio. Neglecting everything afterwards will work for the original jolt of cash, but make your fans lose confidence. Which is what makes me wonder if Bannerlord is a grift. The lack of progress and slowness kind of makes me think they are doing the bare minimum to have the plausible deniability of it being a grift, hoping fans will take it and buy their next product. However, seeing the reaction to bannerlord, that isn’t the case. The people expect more and I doubt their next game will be a success unless they change course.
I didn't say that they were neglecting BL. I said they already got their money so we might as well get the mods out of it.

As for your belief that they'll be punished for BL, game companies **** up a lot worse than TW and still break sales records so...

As for your belief that they'll be punished for BL, game companies **** up a lot worse than TW and still break sales records so...
Word of mouth was the most ubiquitous marketing TW got in the past - and it works both ways.
Unless the youtubers sell out for Turkish government gold and don't bring up Taleworlds poor record when hyping its new games. Then it doesn't matter if Bannerlord was a letdown.

When the quote happened doesn't matter. I never specified what they make nor would it have mattered, only that they get continued profits off its sale going forward, which they do. And anyone who attempts to argue that they "got" their money as if they no longer make a profit off the game and as if they are some wayward devs with their hands out like Oliver Twist is being purposely dishonest. It's still coming, even if they think it's a "trickle".

EDIT

but yea, in that end part I agree. They've considered it probably max profit by now and would have no qualms whatsoever in leaving it on the side, so it can keep adding to their pockets so they can move onto their next project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom