Bannerlord was a grift

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, DLC did exist.

it was just called expansions- but they also had more than just a couple skinz and some in game currency which seems to be the norm now.
The only game franchise I’ve seen doing paid DLC that I thought was fair is Rimworld as both DLCs came after release and did add huge new mechanics- after the base game was only $30.

If TW did a DLC let’s say adding a whole new region and faction AND some more game mechanics, I think that’s fine.

a DLC for something like elephants alone would be BS.

a DLC with a Jungle-Esque biome and a faction based off medieval India with war elephants and new quests? That would be cool by me.

it all depends on the implementation, which most developers don’t seem to drive, it’s the marketing and business side which means players usually get screwed.

edit: also thanks for pointing out the stagnation in game prices, I remember paying $60 in 2000… with inflation would be roughly $95 today.
well, with DLC and cut content, some games are $300 each, also devs have tools to make games that you coulndt dream off in 2000

it was just called expansions- but they also had more than just a couple skinz and some in game currency which seems to be the norm now.
The only game franchise I’ve seen doing paid DLC that I thought was fair is Rimworld as both DLCs came after release and did add huge new mechanics- after the base game was only $30.
Rimworld is also a good example why EA isn´t bad if it is used that way. There isn´t a single bad word I could say about Rimworld. Bought it for 19,99€ while it was still in EA back then.

"The game is in EA so it's allowed to suck."
"Most people say they like the game so it must be good then."
"Majority opinions are never wrong."
"Only Marxists dislike TW's practices."
"You can't say negative things because TW will all of a sudden be bad."
"If you dislike Bannerlord you have no life and are a nerd but if you play Bannerlord for thousands of hours like me you're outgoing."
"Grinding is is a legitimately good time."

I just love Bannerlord apologist arguments. They truly are amazing.
So many young people nowadays are brainwashed to be anti freedom of expression,they call everything they dont agree with "hate speech" however they also Simp for big corpos who only want their money, even if these big corpos like the NBA, COCA COLA, NIKE,APPLE, DISNEY BLIZZARD...etc....who profit and support genocides in China, and a totalitarian communist regime,

SAD
Here, have a PragerU video:
Bannerlord apologists look to PragerU for advice on forming arguments.

"The game is in EA so it's allowed to suck."
"Most people say they like the game so it must be good then."
"Majority opinions are never wrong."
"Only Marxists dislike TW's practices."
"You can't say negative things because TW will all of a sudden be bad."
"If you dislike Bannerlord you have no life and are a nerd but if you play Bannerlord for thousands of hours like me you're outgoing."
"Grinding is is a legitimately good time."

I just love Bannerlord apologist arguments. They truly are amazing.

Here, have a PragerU video:
Bannerlord apologists look to PragerU for advice on forming arguments.

Talk about assembling a strawman… I don’t see where anyone has stated any of that.

I have seen where people have stated that obviously the game can’t be complete **** and a scam based off players.

but nope, I haven’t seen anyone argue-

1) It’s EA so it’s ok to suck- I have seen people state to you- “if you want a release quality game, wait to release”

2) “‘Majority opinions are never wrong” well, considering opinions are subjective.. especially about whether someone enjoys a game. I hated factorio- so does that mean I should spend my time ****ting on factorio in its forums? Your opinion is just as valid as any one else.

3) “Only Marxist’s….” Yeah have no clue where you saw anyone argue that. I have seen people point out that game development costs money so the product does need monetization. Do you go into work on your day off and work for free? Or do you expect to get paid for your work?

etc.

"I haven't"

There's plenty of it all around the threads, with all their wits and words, just go and look around. But no I haven't seen anyone mention Marxist's so I'll agree on you with that.

It's okay to like your favourite hack and slash battle simulator, but you lose me the moment you start talking like you know more about Bannerlord's development along with all its virtues and vices than Armagan Yavuz and his band of cronies could ever think of themselves. - not you in particular @Vonpritz, but a certain many of omniscient partisan defenders.

Where Bannerlord does have credit though, I have seen many good arguments or general thinking in the defence of Taleworld, just not when it comes to criticizing the person for not liking the game rather than looking outwards to see what's wrong with it. - which is where the irony of @ShakenSpeare post comes from.

<3

Talk about assembling a strawman… I don’t see where anyone has stated any of that.

I have seen where people have stated that obviously the game can’t be complete **** and a scam based off players.

1) It’s EA so it’s ok to suck- I have seen people state to you- “if you want a release quality game, wait to release”

2) “‘Majority opinions are never wrong” well, considering opinions are subjective.. especially about whether someone enjoys a game. I hated factorio- so does that mean I should spend my time ****ting on factorio in its forums? Your opinion is just as valid as any one else.

3) “Only Marxist’s….” Yeah have no clue where you saw anyone argue that. I have seen people point out that game development costs money so the product does need monetization. Do you go into work on your day off and work for free? Or do you expect to get paid for your work?

etc.
Yeah, I'm mostly just clowning in that post. I'm parodying things that have been said. Most of what those quotes entail have actually been stated one way or another, just not in that wording and exaggerated manner. Many arguments that have been made in defense of Bannerlord are pretty poor, often laughably so. I specifically dislike the idea that the game having positive reviews means it's good. Even if we were using that metric, Bannerlord has a worse rating on Steam than Warband, so, is Warband better? By their metric, it is. Is a sequel being worse than a decade-old game at this point somewhat of a failure? I'd say so... why have a sequel in the first place if it's just worse? Aren't sequels supposed to improve, not go backward?

The majority saying they like something isn't gospel, the majority of people are just dumb. The majority of people think violent crime and murder is worse now than it was in the 80s and 90s, when in fact, the opposite is true. If we compare feature by feature from Bannerlord and Warband, and compare the product to the promised features and the promised game... disappointment abounds.

Last edited:
If we compare feature by feature from Bannerlord and Warband...
Massive battles
PBR graphics
Global illumination
Army mechanics
Immersive worldmap
Mirrored campaign icons
Cloth physics
Inverse kinetics
Hair under helmets
Handmade battle scenes
Smooth animations
Animated reins, manes and tails
Particle systems
Modding Tools
Camels
Monster skins and skeletons
Extensive settlement scenes
Offspring & inheritance
Weapon crafting
Siege engines
Female faces
Versatile character generator
Clans
Rebellions
Death and executions
Seasonality
Settlement leveling

Just waiting for banners and bannermen, battle terrain system, less hardcoding, PBOD, bug fixes and fuller documentation.

I was never a fan of feasts and poetry. Neither can I see me ever owning caravans.

Dialogue is poor in both Warband and Bannerlord. Hopefully, BL's dialogue system will allow modders to compensate for Native shortcomings.

I'd like better formations, battle tactics and longer battles, but doubt those will be delivered in the Native game.

Last edited:
@NPC99
No one ever ever claimed that Bannerlord graphics/engine/animations aren´t a huge improvement compared to Warband.

What´s left of this long list if you cut those? Not that much. The outdated Warband graphics are my main reason why I can´t play Warband anymore after seeing Bannerlord :sad: .

why did you buy it EA????...
it is not finished!!!!!!
why do people PRE-ORDER, cant you wait , ? have a bit of self control and wait?
THIS IS ENTIRELY THE FANS FAULT
You all pre-ordered , and EA= pre-order,
now they can take 3 more years if they want , cos TW already HAS YOUR MONEY...
this is like taxes....you prepay and the government gives you back WHAT THEY WANT....it is so dumb to pre-order, or to want higher taxes....
It could be worse....
this could be CREATIVE ASSEMBLY...which took 3 years after release to make RTW 2 playable, and meanwhile added $$$$ of cut content "DLC"
Next game you like , wait for the reviews and patches....dont be dumb
You read absolutely nothing of what I said in the post you quoted, so...no need to respond to you tbh.

Massive battles
PBR graphics
Global illumination
Army mechanics
Immersive worldmap
Mirrored campaign icons
Cloth physics
Inverse kinetics
Hair under helmets
Handmade battle scenes
Smooth animations
Animated reins, manes and tails
Particle systems
Modding Tools
Camels
Monster skins and skeletons
Extensive settlement scenes
Offspring & inheritance
Weapon crafting
Siege engines
Female faces
Versatile character generator
Clans
Rebellions
Death and executions

Just waiting for banners and bannermen, battle terrain system, less hardcoding, PBOD, bug fixes and fuller documentation.

I was never a fan of feasts and poetry. Neither can I see me ever owning caravans.

Dialogue is poor in both Warband and Bannerlord. Hopefully, BL's dialogue system will allow modders to compensate for Native shortcomes.

I'd like better formations, battle tactics and longer battles, but doubt those will be delivered in the Native game.
Obviously, the presentation in Bannerlord is a lot better, but it's not like it's a massive achievement when the game is 10 years newer. The rest of those are great ideas but are just empty shells yearning for more substance and design for the most part, or they're relatively minor "improvements".

No, this thread just claimed the whole thing was an elaborate deception to dishonestly con people out of their money.
sddefault.jpg

Obviously, the presentation in Bannerlord is a lot better, but it's not like it's a massive achievement when the game is 10 years newer. The rest of those are great ideas but are just empty shells yearning for more substance and design for the most part, or they're relatively minor "improvements".
The battle not ending after the player is KO is a freaking massive improvement frankly...

I don't know why you keep going about this, even casual-friendly editors like TweakMB allowed you to switch battle continuation.
Everyone used this and no one holds a decade old grievance against it.
You can't justify 'it was fixable by modding the game' as being a feature of Warband.

It's not in Warband, it is in Bannerlord. That's all that really counts (for the discussion I was responding to).

I've often thought that many peoples views are tinted by the decade of amazing mods we got. There are some incredible mods on the horizon for Bannerlord; but I'd never use them as evidence to promote the successes of this game.

You can't justify 'it was fixable by modding the game' as being a feature of Warband.

It's not in Warband, it is in Bannerlord. That's all that really counts (for the discussion I was responding to).
So they added something, that like 99% of each X years old mods already added, for a 10+ year old game, because every player enjoyed it and that´s like a miracle?

That´s something every sane player expected them to do. Like a simple improvement for their 10+ year old game...

So they added something, that like 99% of X years old mods already added, for a 10+ year old game, because every player enjoyed it and that´s like a miracle?
No.

It's something Warband was missing. And is still missing to this day. Yet we forgive Warband for it; despite it getting years of patches....

My point is Warband has some gigantic flaws that this community politely ignores when comparing the two titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom